1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Just completed my first ever 10k

Discussion in 'Fitness, Exercise and Sport' started by Sarbak, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Sarbak

Sarbak Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I've been increasing my fitness and stamina steadily since my diagnosis in May and have gone from really struggling to walk even half a mile at that time to just completing my first 10k.... in fact, to be precise, 6.88 miles.

I would pat myself on the back, but I'm too knackered and sweaty :happy:

p.s. I'm just under 18 stone, so carrying a pretty hefty amount around with me :inpain:

• Winner Winner x 11
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Great stuff @Sarbak

Do you enjoy the walking? I did similar to you, started walking after diagnosis and am now totally addicted.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Sarbak

Sarbak Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Well, that's a tricky question to answer. A walk like today's is enjoyable for odd reasons - because I feel like I deserve to be punished for allowing myself to get so fat and because I know I'm burning way more calories than I would if I sat on my backside on the sofa for the same amount of time.

But, what I do really genuinely enjoy is the slower paced walking off road - hiking through the woods, navigating fallen trees, challenging myself to climb steep hills and stuff. This is the kind of activity I can 100% see myself continuing when I've got to my goal size and stopped punishing myself with the speed walking that leaves me in quite a bit of discomfort lol

• Like Like x 2
    • Hug Hug x 1
  4. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

I expect you already know the getting fat is likely at least partly due to being predispositioned to getting T2? You've likely overproduced insulin for a very long time before it culminated into having diabetes.
    Feelings aren't very good at listening to logic though, but I thought to mention it anyway :)

Sounds good!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Goonergal

Goonergal Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Beware of causing yourself too much discomfort, that’s how injuries happen. I speak from experience of shin splints, Achilles tendinitis and various other things - all of which stopped me doing so much of something I’ve come to love.

And absolutely no need to punish yourself. Sounds like you got this!

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes indeed.

i have, over the decades, done some serious damage to my body due to overenthusiastic exercising - including walking too far, too hard, and too often. Please be careful. Wear good shoes. Not too much pounding of the pavements.

hard walking at 60kg bodyweight is a totally different thing from hard walking at 120kg.
    your weight bearing joints are the ones which may pay a hefty price.
    voice of experience.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. zauberflote

zauberflote Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

@Sarbak way to go! Another voice of caution here-- watch those big joints. I jogged (never fast, never farther than 4.25 miles) over 20,000 miles in 17 years. I have two new hips now. To be fair, there was a predisposition to osteo-arthritis in the family, but the pounding didn't help one bit.
    Glad you enjoy the walking, I do too!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook