Just Diagnosed Pre Diabetic

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
I'm fully committed to starting a LCHF diet and have worked out a number of meals. My problem is breakfast. I hate cooking in the morning and I have a eggs in a lot of other meals. I'm thinking berries, nuts and cream but not sure I can stomach cream every day. Any quick to make breakfast suggestions would most welcome.
What about a grain free granola? Mostly nut and seed based. Simple to make and two week worth of breakfasts sorted. Just look up grain free granola on your search engine for recipes. Good luck .

Belvoir Angel

I'm fully committed to starting a LCHF diet and have worked out a number of meals. My problem is breakfast. I hate cooking in the morning and I have a eggs in a lot of other meals. I'm thinking berries, nuts and cream but not sure I can stomach cream every day. Any quick to make breakfast suggestions would most welcome.
Try full fat Greek yoghurt or creme fraiche may be???

oracle999

thank you. I skipped breakfast today completely. Just black tea. I'm thinking I could do this long term.
I'm 5 feet 11 and 190 pounds so could do with losing a few pounds

Reactions: surdoux

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Skipping breakfast will only help if you dont have active Dawn Phenomenon. If you do have this your blood glucose continues to rise, fuelled by your liver, until you do eat.
Much better to have a coffee with cream and stop it in its tracks. The fat content in the cream helps to prevent hunger pangs for a few hours.

Reactions: Divia

Divia

If you do want to eat something, you could try something I absolutely love: keto bread made in the microwave, 90 seconds.

Melt butter to coat mug, then add one egg, a little baking powder (less than a teaspoon), coconut shredded unsweetened. Mix with a fork. Microwave it for 90 seconds. Wait a minute to take it off the mug and onto a plate.

You can eat half and put the other half in the fridge, or it the whole lot.

I have it with tea. Lots of cinnamon in my tea.

oracle999

Thanks for these suggestions. I'm away from home right now. Next week I'll have my new monitor and will be trying out a few things around breakfast. I'll report back with what seems to works for me

Reactions: Divia

oracle999

Got my new monitor today and tried it out in the afternoon about 3 hours after lunch, it was 5.5. I have just taken it again 2 hours after a evening meal and it was 6.4. I guess that is telling me the meal did not spike my glucose too much. Is this the best way to test myself? I did read on the web that 1 hour after a meal will show the biggest spike so maybe I should be checking that. Any advice would be most welcome

mouseee

Good numbers! To be more accurate take before first bite and two hours later. Then you'll know how much the meal has spiked you or not.

oracle999

I took a reading before any food this morning, 10 hours fast and it was 5.6. I have just taken it again 2 hours after lunch and it was the same 5.6. Seems strange as I was expecting a higher number. Does that mean that the meal was very glucose friendly? I was expecting it to be a little high because I had humus with and egg salad.

oracle999

Hi, been on low carb diet for 5 days now and feel awful. I was freezing cold this morning with a temperature of 35.8. Can anyone recommend anything to feel better until this passes?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Try soup made with low carb ingredients, but substantial enough to be warming and nourishing - I have a Bamix stick blender which is useful for all sorts, but particularly so for turning a cup of cooked veges into soup. You might have cut down rather than cut out and be undernourished.

oracle999

Thanks. Strange that I have a low temperature. 35.8. Less than 35 is hypothermia! It's now 36.4 but I'm in a warm house. Is low temp a normal response?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Normal for undernourishment - I was often put on low fat low calorie for weightloss and would go grey, cold and faint. My temperature was measurably low.

Schmoukes

Thanks. Hopefully I'll feel better soon

Sounds like you might have keto flu. I had it for a few weeks when I started LCHF eating last Nov. I felt AWFUL. But it does pass - as your body gets used to the new diet.

Btw - favourite brekkie for me is a cheesy waffle - chaffle - made with almond flour. Just google keto chaffle for recipes.

oracle999

Sounds like you might have keto flu. I had it for a few weeks when I started LCHF eating last Nov. I felt AWFUL. But it does pass - as your body gets used to the new diet.

Btw - favourite brekkie for me is a cheesy waffle - chaffle - made with almond flour. Just google keto chaffle for recipes.
Thank you.I'll look into that

mouseee

I didn't knock out all carbs in the first couple of weeks. I think easing it down made a difference to me. When I tried the Atkins diet many years ago I felt dreadful and stopped in about 48 hours!

I probably eat between 50 and 80g a day now and its work for me so far!

oracle999

I didn't knock out all carbs in the first couple of weeks. I think easing it down made a difference to me. When I tried the Atkins diet many years ago I felt dreadful and stopped in about 48 hours!

I probably eat between 50 and 80g a day now and its work for me so far!
I had to abandon the diet over the weekend as I had a couple of functions to go to which meant starve or eat carbs. Will start again slowly this week

NéjiSaïdi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Fake knowledge
Hi,
I have just been told that my HbA1c is 42 - 6% . I have been reading these threads and gaining some good knowledge. I have a question about LCHF diet. High fats cause clogging of the arteries according to most doctors, even a TV documentary presented by doctors and scientists. Is high fat such a good diet given the science?

I'm considering buying a blood monitor. Could anyone recommend a good device? I'm not great with needles, unfortunately

Thank you for such a great resource
I have been on a LCHF diet; did wonders weight loss, lower Hba1c, better lipid profile, better BP....
I get a better health education about LCHF, you search YouTube for experts like Jason Fung,Tim Noakes, Nadir Ali, Stephen Phinney, Eric Berg, Ivor Cummins, etc. Look for YouTube channels: Low Carb Down Under, Low Carb Usa, Public Health Collaboration. Good luck!

oracle999

I have been on a LCHF diet; did wonders weight loss, lower Hba1c, better lipid profile, better BP....
I get a better health education about LCHF, you search YouTube for experts like Jason Fung,Tim Noakes, Nadir Ali, Stephen Phinney, Eric Berg, Ivor Cummins, etc. Look for YouTube channels: Low Carb Down Under, Low Carb Usa, Public Health Collaboration. Good luck!
Interesting :)