Just diagnosed via HbA1c test

itsnotme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The obsession with the lowest carbs here is a little disconcerting. I am not naïve. I know I have to reduce my carbs. Turning to high fat high protein and low carb has its own dangers including kidney, liver and heart due to higher cholesterol. Yes I will have to get a handle on it, and the diabetic nurse will be showing me blood meters. A very low carb diet is not going to be sustainable. I have never believed in them, and while they can bring numbers down fast, they have other potential downsides. There is no magic bullet

Reactions: Lupf

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The obsession with the lowest carbs here is a little disconcerting. I am not naïve. I know I have to reduce my carbs. Turning to high fat high protein and low carb has its own dangers including kidney, liver and heart due to higher cholesterol. Yes I will have to get a handle on it, and the diabetic nurse will be showing me blood meters. A very low carb diet is not going to be sustainable. I have never believed in them, and while they can bring numbers down fast, they have other potential downsides. There is no magic bullet
Well, if it's any consolation... I had non-alcoholic fatty liver disease that was supposed to kill me 6 years or so ago. Going low carb sorted my high blood sugars, it lowered my cholesterol to normal levels, and my NAFLD went away after about 3 months of, at the time, moderate low carb. (And my liver really was one big chunk of fat. There was so much of it they thought it was a tumor, actually, it was that dense.) Thing is, people here are rather adamant about low carbing because for more than a hand full of us, it was a literal lifesaver. I should be in a casket right now by all rights, so kind of case in point right there. But like I said before, I agree with you that it has to be sustainable. If it's not, for you, for any reason, and any reason at all is a valid reason... There's plenty of other options. So yeah, we're for the most part a rather fanatic bunch when it comes to low carbing. But you can try medication, or a combination, or... Whatever suits you and your life. There's plenty of people who can't do low carb. Too many food intolerances, medication, other issues... It's not the be-all-end-all. And since we're all different, every single one of us has to find what works best for our personal situation. If low carbing isn't it for you, then it's not. But I would advise to test, so you know what's going on and you can make informed decisions, be it about your diet or what medication is most effective in your situation, because that can vary too.

Whatever ends up working best for you, go with that. Don't get browbeaten into anything you can't get behind, but if you can, keep an open mind and if you want, research as much as you feel up to. Dr. Jason Fung is a nephrologist who saw a lot of diabetics in his kidney clinic up in Toronto, and he got people off insulin, out of wheelchairs... Through low carb. He's not a clueless hyped up influencer, he's not, you know, one of those whackjobs on forums who are rather fanatic about their personal solution. ;) You might want to read The Diabetes Code, which he wrote. And if not, then not. Keep in mind that whatever anybody says, it is YOUR body, and at all times, YOUR choice. And you have plenty of options to choose from.

Good luck,
Jo

mouseee

Completely agree with JoKalsbeek. Everyone has to find their own way and make it sustainable but those who are who found it has worked for them will definitely tell people!
Take what you need from the forum and tailor it to what you need to achieve success. This way of eating is gaining traction within the NHS so there is/will be more research on it in the next few years I think.

Reactions: Antje77

Helen H

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just thought I would say that I am on the online NHS Healthier You Oviva program for pre-diabetes. When I was enrolled on it I had already decided (in fact already started) a keto diet and I will hopefully move off keto onto a low carb diet . I thought they wouldn’t support a keto diet (they do support low carb diets though as this is one of their options) so I offered to leave the program but to my surprise they were happy to work with me on this and I have to say they have been supportive so far. The point of my post is that it looks like the NHS and some HCP are now taking low carb as a very real alternative to tackling type 2 diabetes/prediabetes.

i hope you find a way that works for you - I would just say keep any open mind about all options - and test yourself with a meter (even if your diabetic nurse/GP say there is no need). Good luck with everything.

itsnotme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
What I made for lunch today - wholemeal spaghetti (70g uncooked) with crayfish tails and asparagus. Less than 50g carbs.

428336769_10159643783617751_7234185940122962085_n.jpg

Reactions: Lupf and ianf0ster

mouseee

Looks amazing!
For me though the pasta would blow my numbers through the roof. (Proven by a year of eating it and other carbs and seeing my hba1c skyrocket)
I'm working to keep my bg low because I saw what badly controlled T2 did to my mum. I aim for about 50g carbs max in one day and I get those generally from veg.
I hope that you get to keep eating this delicious looking food and getting the results you want! I love pasta, it just doesn't love me!

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Looks delicious, you can buy lower carb pasta if you can’t live without, google Explore Cuisine protein pasta, the spaghetti and fettuccine are about 11g carb per 100g, I’ve bought it in Tesco before, it’s very near real pasta and quite filling because it’s protein

mouseee

Looks delicious, you can buy lower carb pasta if you can’t live without, google Explore Cuisine protein pasta, the spaghetti and fettuccine are about 11g carb per 100g, I’ve bought it in Tesco before, it’s very near real pasta and quite filling because it’s protein
Aldi did some quite nice stuff that was really low carb but I haven't seen that in a while

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Aldi did some quite nice stuff that was really low carb but I haven't seen that in a while
I think it might have been this one as that’s the first place I bought it a few years ago