Just felt about 2ft tall

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After struggling with food etc I have become braver and tried some different things over the last week or so, I was interested in a brand of chocolate I found online so I contacted the company to ask if they could provide nutrition which they did, they asked why I was wanting to know to see if they could help me further so I explained that I was a type 1 diabetic and just needed the carb value and thanked them for helping me, well this is the email I received back

Hi Kayleigh. Unfortunately I don't think we have much if anything that is suitable for you in these.

We do have 2 no added sugar product that have maltitol in them. Less of a sugar spike. Let me know if you want / need the info on them.

This made me feel awful and put me off contacting other company's as I felt they have judged me for being a diabetic and asking about chocolate :(

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After struggling with food etc I have become braver and tried some different things over the last week or so, I was interested in a brand of chocolate I found online so I contacted the company to ask if they could provide nutrition which they did, they asked why I was wanting to know to see if they could help me further so I explained that I was a type 1 diabetic and just needed the carb value and thanked them for helping me, well this is the email I received back

Hi Kayleigh. Unfortunately I don't think we have much if anything that is suitable for you in these.

We do have 2 no added sugar product that have maltitol in them. Less of a sugar spike. Let me know if you want / need the info on them.

This made me feel awful and put me off contacting other company's as I felt they have judged me for being a diabetic and asking about chocolate :(
Hey @kaylz91 - please don't feel disheartened by the company's response to your email. But I understand your feelings regarding being judged.

What I've come to realise, and appreciate, over the last few years is that people just simply don't understand what T1D is. Most just think that a T1 can't have sugar. Do I blame them? No I don't, and the reason for that is because pre-DX I knew absolutely nothing about T1 myself. Given that, I would have (probably and unfortunately) answered your email in the same way...

By human nature we're typically nice, and I can bet that if the person who wrote the reply to your email could see how you're feeling - they'd be quite upset about it.

Hope you're okay:)

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Oh honey, hope you are feeling better now. I'd just ignore the email and look at packaging for info. If you can't find one in a shop to look at try poring the product name in a thread, someone might know.

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
What Zand wrote seems like a good idea. You find out what you wanted to know and someone else learns a bit more about life.
Don't let this put you off asking questions, they are important ones for you.
Good luck

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would reply to the email and tell them that because you are on insulin you can have sugar as long as you know the amount per product which is why you asked the question.
I did just that when they suggested the malitol bars, very politely told them that no no I wouldn't require that information as you have provided me with the information the 'normal' chocolate is perfectly suitable and I just need to adjust my insulin lol

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh honey, hope you are feeling better now. I'd just ignore the email and look at packaging for info. If you can't find one in a shop to look at try poring the product name in a thread, someone might know.
I would have done that but it's only sold in shops in Ireland unfortunately x

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was out for a work dinner last night and my boss said in front of everyone - 'are you sure you can drink wine with diabetes'?

Also felt about 2 foot tall - and about 10 years old again too!

Neoncat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I expect the person who wrote the email was genuinely trying to be helpful and as @GrantGam said, would be mortified if they realised how thoughtless they had been and the impact they had made (I am.sure we can all think of cringe worthy examples of times we have done the same!). I am glad to hear you followed up and hopefully that will help you feel better about it.

This year my manager surprised everyone on the team with an Easter Egg hunt. Knowing I was diabetic she went to special effort to get me a "low sugar" one which she proudly presented to me. It was beyond inedible, and I looked on in jealousy as my colleagues tucked into their delicious chocolatey goodness. She meant really well and I was touched that not only had she thought of me but also the extra effort she had gone to on my behalf. I had to stop off on the way home to buy myself a proper chocolate egg to make myself feel better though! I still can't think of a diplomatic way to tell her!

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I think they mistook or conflated your condition with Type 2, as the answer fits a Type 2 profile. They took the time to respond to you so I am sure nothing was meant by it.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was out for a work dinner last night and my boss said in front of everyone - 'are you sure you can drink wine with diabetes'?

Also felt about 2 foot tall - and about 10 years old again too!

And the answer to that in a loud voice back is. You may be the boss, however your type 1 diabetes knowledge is poor. I know what I am doing and do not need input in this area. Then hold up your glass and say cheers!

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hate when foods don't give carb counts! Worse is when they don't give accurate ones - my mum bought some bread which had something like 15g total carbs and 18g sugar. Doesn't even make sense! If they're printing stuff like that, I feel like I can't trust them at all and didn't even bother contacting them to clarify.