Just found out im type 2 diabetic!

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@CDudley - Sorry, but I don't know what else to suggest! Maybe another forum member may come along and know what to do?:)

CDudley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@CDudley - Sorry, but I don't know what else to suggest! Maybe another forum member may come along and know what to do?:)

You don't need to suggest anything? I was never asking the question? It doesn't bother me? It was someone else askign the question? I had however asked several others which haven't yet been answered? x

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @pinky_69 welcome to the forum,

diagnosis is a shock to many of us, but on the positive side you have found this forum right after diagnosis, so you can start taking control from the start (I wish I had found this site earlier).

There is so much info in the early days that it is daunting, and in a lot of ways its like a bereavement for your old life. I know I felt very overwhelmed as to what to do and what I could eat, and I felt very confused.

I suggest you read the info Daisy1 posted above, then ask as many questions as you need.

IF you decide to try low carbohydrate as many (but not all) forum members do then there is lots of info and recipes on the subsections.

So things like replacements for bread, pasta, rice, potatoes etc we can help with suggestions.

It does get easier!!

Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You don't need to suggest anything? I was never asking the question? It doesn't bother me? It was someone else askign the question? I had however asked several others which haven't yet been answered? x

Maybe you are new to forums and don't know your way round them. This thread was started by @pinky_69 so if you have questions of your own that relate to you, perhaps start a new thread and ask the questions on that? You will get your answers if you do that.

CDudley

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Maybe you are new to forums and don't know your way round them. This thread was started by @pinky_69 so if you have questions of your own that relate to you, perhaps start a new thread and ask the questions on that? You will get your answers if you do that.

Yup, Pinky was talking about their fasting levels and I had also talked about my fasting levels (relevant). Sean then brought in the conversation to Pinky about certain foods, this led onto me asking Sean about the certain foods specific, again, relevant. You were the one who was discussing my profile, which for some reason I can’t change. But this doesn’t worry me as I’m sure the error will be sorted out. So, as my question is relevant to Sean’s response to Pinky who had originally commented I’m not sure now why I’m being asked to go to a different forum?? Though I can do that, no problem. Very confused but wasnt until you came into the conversation? Not being rude, though you’ll probably take it that way?

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi and welcome Pinky,
I was in a state of denial. I was diagnose with diabetes when I was 42. To cut a very long story very short I did nothing about the diabetes until last year. I had other demons to deal with. I am now 50. I was given the eat well food plate and told to lose weight. After turning my life around, I started looking for information. A part from being told lose weight and that diabetes was for life, I had no information or contact with my Dr for 8 years. I didnt understand the seriousness of my condition and to be fair I was dealing with my other issues first. I probably would not have coped with the knowledge I now know. I can not stress enough how important education of this disease and its complication are. They helped me big time to get my head around I have to act now and get my weight off and control my blood sugars. This forum is a big help for when you do not understand, ask people, we are all in the same boat and all learning. We know what the disease is like, can give first hand experiences of what we find.

Reactions: 7 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yup, Pinky was talking about their fasting levels and I had also talked about my fasting levels (relevant). Sean then brought in the conversation to Pinky about certain foods, this led onto me asking Sean about the certain foods specific, again, relevant. You were the one who was discussing my profile, which for some reason I can’t change. But this doesn’t worry me as I’m sure the error will be sorted out. So, as my question is relevant to Sean’s response to Pinky who had originally commented I’m not sure now why I’m being asked to go to a different forum?? Though I can do that, no problem. Very confused but wasnt until you came into the conversation? Not being rude, though you’ll probably take it that way?

Sorry, I wasn't being rude intentionally, and I haven't taken your reply as rude either.. You said no-one had answered you, and I pointed out it may be better to start your own thread if you want some answers. Additional questions tend to get lost on existing threads.

Reactions: 4 people
S

Sean01

Can you tell me your opinion on bread, pasta and Lentils as I love them all. I can cut back on Bread and pasta but love my lentils. Baked beans? What spread do you use? Baked beans? Eggs?
Hello CDudley. I'm not a doctor or a qualified nutritionist BUT Iam a Biology graduate and I've been studying (as a hobby) nutrition for many many years. I was also a competitive bodybuilder in the 80's so I know a thing or tow about carbs. Unfortunately, my own version of immortality meant that I totally abused carbs - which explains why I'm here.
Eggs- brilliant - but just teh egg white. I would eat up to 24 eggs in a day bur never more than one egg yolk at a time - e.g. 5 egg whites and one whole egg in an omlette. Brilliant protein and extra minerals and fantastic for the memory.
Bread and pasta - white death! Yesterday, there was a report linking bread and pasta to lung cancer (!!). But don't switch to brown bread and whole meal pasta - carbs are carbs - no matter what colour
Can you tell me your opinion on bread, pasta and Lentils as I love them all. I can cut back on Bread and pasta but love my lentils. Baked beans? What spread do you use? Baked beans? Eggs?

Hello CDudley. I'm not a doctor or a qualified nutritionist BUT I am a Biology graduate and I've been studying (as a hobby) nutrition for many many years. I was also a competitive bodybuilder in the 80's so I know a thing or tow about carbs. Unfortunately, my own version of immortality meant that I totally abused carbs - which explains why I'm here.

Eggs- brilliant - but just the egg white. I would eat up to 24 eggs in a day bur never more than one egg yolk at a time - e.g. 5 egg whites and one whole egg in an omelette. Brilliant protein and extra minerals and fantastic for the memory.

Bread and pasta - white death! Yesterday, there was a report linking bread and pasta to lung cancer (!!). But don't switch to brown bread and whole meal pasta - carbs are carbs - no matter what colour.

Spread is out - I prefer real butter - it's a treat on the very occasional crumpet. I don't eat bread or (Jacket) potaotes so not much need for spread or butter.

lentils - no opinion - they are pulses(?). I don't think I've ever had them.

Baked beans - absolutely - I make a stew with onions, kidney beans, chick peas, butter beans, tinned tomatoes and baked beans with a good hit of chilli powder (fat burner) and it keeps me warm and full up in the winter. As for other tips - loads - I write on the blogs a few times each week - some of it's nonsense and a bit of fun to keep the spirits up - but there are a few items which others have found useful - please take a look - especially the one on why using chop sticks can help with weight management and there's one which explains the best time of day to exercise. Good luck

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lentils are flat pulses. Little power houses of minerals and insoluble fiber
lentilsgroup.jpg

They come in around 20g of carb per 100g 1.8g sugar 8g fiber. Usually added to soup, stews or curries.

S

Sean01

Hi CDudley. I thought I replied but my computer is acting up - so here it is (or here it is again) I'm not a doctor or nutritionist BUT I did study biology at university and I have been studying nutrition as a hobby for many many years. I was also a competetive body builder in the 80's so I know a thing or two about carbs (and how to abuse them - which is partly why I'm here.)
Eggs - best thing ever. I used to eat up to 24 a day but now eat between 6 and 12. I only ever use one yolk per meal so typically I might have an omelette with 4 or 5 egg whites and one whole egg. Eggs are packed with protein and various minerals which are particularly good for the memory (I'm brilliant at passing exams!!)
White bread and pasta and anything made with flour. back in the good old days we called these 'white death' because we knew they were bad for you. yesterday, I read that there is now a possible link between white bread and pasta and lung cancer. Brown or whole meal evrsions are no better - they are still carbs - just a different colour.
Lentils - never had them so no opinion. Not on my radar.
Spread - I banned it from my house. Butter only, but as I don't eat jacket potatoes or bread etc there is very little need for it, but I will occasionally have a sweet potato with proper butter.
baked beans - absolutely. I make a stew with onions, kidney beans, chick peas butter beans and baked beans, and tinned tomatoes with a big hit of chilli powder (fat burner). It keeps me full and warm in the winter.

Jamrox

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Hi I'm glad you found the forum quickly , now you can take control .
My advice would be to reduce bread , pasta , rice ,potatoes and bakery .
Switch to 70-80% dark chocolate .
I say reduce because if I cut them out all together I feel like I'm missing something so I have a very small portion and lots of green veg in its place.
Please replace carby things with carrot/courgetti / cauliflower rice that you can make it buy in Tesco and have with chilli, curry etc.
There are a load of low carb recipes on the forum , have a read .

I find that being more active helps too. I've hurt my knee so doing the Michael Mosely diet ( no comments from others please lol).

I have done the 5x50 challenge a couple of time , it starts again at the end of March and is basically 5km or 30 minutes activity for 50 days , it made me feel great and has led to me being active instead of a couch potato . Like I said I'm recovering from a sore knee but will start preparing for it on Sunday.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I like baked beans but don't eat them now. If you read the label there's a lot of sugar in the tomato sauce. I tried the 'lower sugar' type but didn't like the less sweet taste, so avoid them now.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I like baked beans but don't eat them now. If you read the label there's a lot of sugar in the tomato sauce. I tried the 'lower sugar' type but didn't like the less sweet taste, so avoid them now.

I used to have baked beans on toast for a quick (supposedly nutritious) lunch and carried on doing so immediately after diagnosis because my DN told me to eat them. My meter told me to stop immediately. I tried the low sugar version and had the same nasty reaction on my meter. They have been off the menu ever since. I did read on here that some people wash them before heating them to get rid of the sauce, but the sauce was the best bit, so I never tried that.

Rosbif

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Hi Pinky, I'm not officially diabetic (yet) but do have high BS. Welcome to the forum, you'll get a lot of support here. I don't have an official diagnosis but I am testing my sugars before and after meals and that is diagnosis enough for the moment. I've just turned 38 and this has been hanging in the air for a couple of years now. I'm only just starting to address it properly. My feelings range from pragmatism (it is what it is so get on with it) to optimism (it's a chance to reboot my life and health - I'm overweight, don't look or feel my best, change was well overdue) to depression (it's overwhelming, how am I going to keep this up over the long term). Try to take things one step at a time, reduce the carbs, get a meter so that you know exactly where you stand (I would have eaten tons more fruit and wholegrain bread had it not been for my meter), and allow yourself the occasional cheat meal if it will help you to stay on track in the long-term. If you decide to go the low carb route tell yourself that you're getting great nutrition, that everything you eat is nourishing your body. xxx

Edit: I'm not trying to demonise other diets, whatever suits the individual. I know that carbs in great quantities don't do me any good!

Reactions: 4 people

pinky_69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello and welcome,I think we all know how you feel.try not to worry.
Your levels can be sorted out by diet.I was 58 HbA1c Im now 46.
All the best.
Hi Patrica and thank you for your reply. You have done well to get your levels down well done! Ive joined slimming world and aim to walk a lot more. Do you have the odd treat? If so what would you have? As a newbie im just trying to get my hesd around it. I love eating out and having the odd glass of wine and my girls like to treat me sometimes i know ill get my head round it. Its just a little daunting at the mo. X

Reactions: 3 people