Just found out...

sjs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi
I had routine blood tests and it was found I had a BS of 18. Been to see my GP today, who wants me to go straight on Metformin for T2. I just wondered if anyone with such a high reading has managed to persuade their doctor to wait a while to see if diet and exercise can bring it down. I have been told I need to lose approx 2 stone. All has come as a bit of a shock today. I have another set of blood tests due tomorrow inc the HbA1c. Any useful info from anyone who has been in a similar position?
Many thanks

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
SJS,

I'd be very surprised if a doctor would agree to your suggestion. A BG level of 18 is dangerously high. High enough for the start of circulation problems and eyesight problems. Remember that just because your BG has been discovered to be 18, it hasn't just suddenly jumped to that level. It will have been high, and probably getting higher little by little, for weeks and probably months.

How long will it take you to lose 2 stone? At a guess, at least 6 months. Is that worth losing a foot for, or going blind for?

sjs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for your responses and for the welcome.
It was more wishful thinking than anything! I expect to be taking Metformin by next week, along with the diet and exercise changes, I hope it will bring the BG (I see that is the term - new things to learn!) down to a more normal level. My GP was very reassuring and I am prepared to work at this.
I expect I will learn a lot from the forum, so thanks for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it!

fergusc

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Good luck sjs!

Just a word of advice - you can lower your blood sugars more quickly by following the correct diet than by almost anything else. If you eat foods without sugar or starch, your blood sugars will improve immediately.

It's important to do this as quickly as possible. There are many type 2's who have been able to remain unmedicated by eating the right sorts of food, but the longer your blood sugars remain elevated, the harder it will be.

All the best,

fergusc

Ellen

A level of 18 needs bringing down. My last blood test was 8, which is too high. I have been prescribed extra meds and am having another blood test next week to check all is under control (7 or under). I knew my blood sugar was too high before I was tested as I had certain symptoms which I knew were due to that.