Just got my first blood glucose monitor...surprised by results

CanadianGuy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
31 male.
So back in November 2017 my doctor told me that I had a fasting glucose of 6.4 (115 mg/dl??) and A1C of 5.0 (31)
Sorry I''m in Canada no idea about the conversion.
Great A1c, no friggin idea why FBG was higher than it should be.
I am sooo anxious around needles and have had a lot of anxiety lately so I worry if that impacts my FBG.

So I have been exercising and eating lowER carb (still eat some carbs). I have gone from 186 pounds or so to about 165 lbs. Lots of indoor rowing, eating healthier, walks, etc. I have been working my ass off and lost over 20 pounds and over 4 inches of size off my belly button.

So today I decided I wanted to get myself a blood glucose tester.
I bought a Contour Next One. I had a bear of a time figuring it out since I've never used one.

I went out for dinner and I decided I was going to test out how my blood sugar was after.

So I ate to kind of see what would happen - i had a burger bowl (low carb) with a burger, cheese, yams, boiled egg, bacon...then I had a 12 oz beer and shared onion rings with my girlfriend. I was STUFFED!

After about 1 hour and 10 mins or less, I tested my blood. 7.5 mmol/L (135) and then tested again a couple of minutes later at 6.8 (122.4).

After a big meal like that I think that's pretty good, is it not?
Is it weird that it changed from 7.5 to 6.8 in like 2 minutes?

edit: tested again at 1 hour 50 min post meal it was 6.7 (120)

edit: time

Last edited:

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
You either dropped naturally or hands not washed between tests but no big deal. They're (numbers) are OK but watch the carbs .... don't take this the wrong way but we don't want a new diabetic. We're full right now :)

Last edited:
Reactions: ziggy_w

CanadianGuy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
You either dropped naturally or hands not washed between tests but no big deal. They're (numbers) are OK but watch the carbs .... don't take this the wrong way bit we don't want a new diabetic. We're full right now :)

Thank you for your comment/concern! I ate like that on purpose to see what kind of results it would show on my meter so I would know what to expect.
Trust me, my office at work is a bunch of enablers and give me flak for not partaking in their cakes, donuts, cookies and other treats. I have cut down on carbs a LOT.
And I am up to rowing up to 10,000 meters daily. I'm not going to ruin my progress by eating like hell, haha

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Good man .... not worth dancing with the devil

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey @CanadianGuy, good going! Glad you got over your anxiety re: finger pricking - it gets a bit easier as you go along. You might want to check if your insurance will cover the strips, if you have insurance from work -( Green Shield are beggars with the strips if you aren't T1, but I do get some through them and then self fund the rest - keep your receipts for tax purposes!) You will find that it is surprising what will raise your bs and what won't......that will help you tremendously.

I wouldn't put any stock into the FBS as the ole liver likes to dump glucose into our system if we haven't eaten for a while....it is often the last number to come down into range too for most of us, so give it time - it is only one number of many.....Keep up the good work and nice to have another Canadian on board (I'm actually from the USA but have lived in Canada for 46 years - think I am Canadian most of the time:)) Blessings/L