1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Just had a text from my GP........Cholesterol Gurus please advise!

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by CondorX, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Roller

Roller Type 2 · BANNED

Won’t those sugar charts suffice for that?

2. HSSS

HSSS Type 2 · Expert

Suffice for what? Instead of a meter? Well very very roughly maybe. But they don’t have all the foods nor are they personal to you. You need at a minimum to know which foods are high carb and which aren’t. Having a meter shows what your personal response is and we are not all the same. It’s also incredibly motivating. Seeing a high number helps determination to find alternatives. Seeing good numbers encouraging. It can be done without meters if you are dead set against it but I’d strongly recommend one even if only for a couple of months til you get your head around it all.

Take a look at the graphics on dietdoctor.com and DitchTheCarbs.com both have visual charts and lots of free recipes and how to low carb and why explanations.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Harsh but fair :cool:

4. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Legend

I think the HDL may have been the cause for concern. The higher the better, and 0.79 is rather low. This is the so called good cholesterol. Mine is 2.6. The standard range (for women) is 1.2 to 3.5, and something similar for men. Eating less carbs can help with this as they are known to deplete HDL. If your nurse was genuinely concerned about your Trigs she needs to be sent on a training course.

5. Roller

Roller Type 2 · BANNED

Well here are the results:

5C4F4079-515F-4C40-A502-6159A2EC09A1.jpeg

6. Roller

Roller Type 2 · BANNED

So try glide rides of 0.6 is perfect then?

7. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Your Trig/HDL ratio from those numbers is 0.6/.87= 0.689 which is excellent.

Should lead to a very low risk of heart problems.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook