Just had a text from my GP........Cholesterol Gurus please advise!

Roller

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
To be fair that should show improvement if you previously ate a lot of them. Maybe not enough though. Rice and bread is still carbohydrates regardless of colour. Fish and meat are good. Veg is fine so long as it’s not potato (any colour). Other below ground veg might also be too starchy eg parsnips. Carrots are an issue for some people. She was right about fruit juice - liquid sugar. I’d say none not just less.
See what the scores are after tomorrow, ask for time to consider options and be more vigorous with diet if medications are suggested and come back with all the numbers (get a printout!) of the tests at diagnosis and tomorrow’s. Tell them if you like that you’ve found a diabetes support group and want to continue trying with that before drugs if you like. assuming of course that is what you want. Some may be resistant to it but it is your choice. Others are quite supportive.

Do you have a meter? That will show you very quickly what is good for you and what’s not.
Won’t those sugar charts suffice for that?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Won’t those sugar charts suffice for that?
Suffice for what? Instead of a meter? Well very very roughly maybe. But they don’t have all the foods nor are they personal to you. You need at a minimum to know which foods are high carb and which aren’t. Having a meter shows what your personal response is and we are not all the same. It’s also incredibly motivating. Seeing a high number helps determination to find alternatives. Seeing good numbers encouraging. It can be done without meters if you are dead set against it but I’d strongly recommend one even if only for a couple of months til you get your head around it all.

Take a look at the graphics on dietdoctor.com and DitchTheCarbs.com both have visual charts and lots of free recipes and how to low carb and why explanations.

M

Member496333

OK hardly surprising your trigs were a bit elevated.. the nurse is an ill informed idiot..
Eating that stuff won't help you to get your blood sugars down.
She should also have said don't drink any fruit juice ever.

Harsh but fair :cool:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
HDL 0.79
LDL 2.76

I think the HDL may have been the cause for concern. The higher the better, and 0.79 is rather low. This is the so called good cholesterol. Mine is 2.6. The standard range (for women) is 1.2 to 3.5, and something similar for men. Eating less carbs can help with this as they are known to deplete HDL. If your nurse was genuinely concerned about your Trigs she needs to be sent on a training course.

Roller

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Well here are the results:

5C4F4079-515F-4C40-A502-6159A2EC09A1.jpeg

Roller

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
The Trig/HDL ratio is the "new" measure
Anything under 0.87 is deemed excellent.. yours is 1.24 which is good.

How long had you fasted before the blood was taken?
So try glide rides of 0.6 is perfect then?