Just had results and wanted to share

Steve_p

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who aren't nice, just for the sake of it.
So, here's something I wasn't expecting to happen.

At Easter holidays this year, we went to Scotland. I'd been feeling somewhat rough for a while (since way before christmas) to say the least, drinking lots of ribena and the likes, always wanting a sugar hit. By the end of May I'd had confirmation that my cholesterol levels were through the roof and my HbA1c was 160; I got the diabetic life sentence. 3x500mg metformin and statins every day. I found out not so long ago that "they" were only using metformin to see how I got on and "they" would rather have put me straight on insulin injections because the level was so high.

Now, being a stubborn old sod, I went straight off to Waterstones and got a load of cookbooks as I wasn't going to let this get the better of me. I also bought a test meter to monitor cholesterol and blood glucose.

Within 2 weeks of putting the statins in the cupboard never to be seen again, my cholesterol was down to and average of 3.5 so no more worry there.

After 1 month, my average glucose reading had dropped from being in the high teens to 5.4mmol...

After 3 weeks of being abused by mainland European sugar loaded food but carrying on being a stubborn old git, my glucose was back down to 4.8 within a week of getting home. However, Metformin apparently won't drop these levels into hypo. Oh yeah? Early September I was on site (with my wife), up a ladder sorting out some lighting when I hit a glucose all time low and was on the borders of falling off. After a couple of sandwiches and a seat, I re-tested my glucose to see it had risen to 3.2!!!!! So I stopped the Metformin straight after speaking to my doctor.

Last week I had a checkup.

Today I got the results by phone.

Blood pressure is now in the mid normal range (it was very high)
Pulse is again normal (for an old git) instead of being in the high 90's!!
Cholesterol is still about 3.5 - 4.0
HbA1c ? Well, without the pills, I've got it down from 160 to
wait for it . . . . . . .

41!!!!

Even the nurse said that it was outstanding.

Reactions: 19 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with your nurse ...... outstanding! Well done indeed :)

Oh, and welcome to the forum. Perhaps you could give us some indication of your diet. It clearly works!

Reactions: 2 people

Davasutts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Brilliant....very inspiring and encouraging indeed. Did you drastically change your diet?

Steve_p

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks for the replies. Yes, total change of diet. I initially got hold of 2 books, Michael Moore - Blood Sugar and Nom nom paleo. the second is slightly childish but it confirms all the common sense stuff we already know deep down. If it claims to be fast then it's not food, that was a difficult one with 2 kids. I make my own bread (usually wholemeal and spelt with seeds). I'm now using the Hairy Bikers curry book but applying the lessons learnt from the Michael Moor book to the curries to keep the cholesterol down too.

Reactions: 5 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Wow, well done and congratulations, that's brilliant :)

Best wishes RRB

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You must write a blog with how you did it, with what you ate etc, for us all to learn from. you're a star for sure. Well done.

Reactions: 3 people

Steve_p

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Paul, I'll do a full post at some point soon, just so happy that the results were what they were. It's really what everyone is talking about though, cut the sugar (I used stevia and agave nectar in small quantities), load up on taste with oriental and asian flavours in my case, lots of lean meat and veggies, loads of veggies. Make my own bread, use olive oil and groundnut oil to cook with. I'll put more together though but that's the basics.

Foxie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
OMG! Well done Steve. Just shows hard work determination and change of life style can work.
Lovely news so pleased for you and look forward to seeing more of how you made that change. :)) x

Steve_p

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
See it pays to be a stubborn old git :hilarious: Welcome to the club

Like it matey

It certainly pays to question everything. It also helps to work with a nurse who will listen and a fully supportive family who understand that it's a serious, life threatening condition and not just something certain people get.

As for the club, as a stubborn old git, I couldn't possibly join, just out of principal :) hahahaha.

Joking aside. I'm not kidding myself and would not be stupid enough to try and kid anyone else. This result is great but it can always change and I won't loose sight of that. I'm still type 2 diabetic, I'm just not using meds and can control my levels with diet - at the moment. Once the decent levels of exercise start, it should improve things. However, I am fully aware that complacency will put me back on the sentence. As it says in Paul59's sig, It will never beat me. I may never beat it but I'll never give in to it.

Reactions: 3 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Nice one Steve, well done!

Steve_p

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
For those of you kind enough to comment and like stuff on this thread, I'll post the link here first. Now please bear in mind that this is not an exhaustive step by step process as I just bashed it all together today. Also, I am really just telling my story and wouldn't want anyone to try this off the back of what I've done. Can't stress that enough. It worked for me, so far and that's all there is to it.

http://steveprincep1.wix.com/diabetes

It is rather long but I hope it makes sense.

Steve_p

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
For those of you kind enough to comment and like stuff on this thread, I'll post the link here first. Now please bear in mind that this is not an exhaustive step by step process as I just bashed it all together today. Also, I am really just telling my story and wouldn't want anyone to try this off the back of what I've done. Can't stress that enough. It worked for me, so far and that's all there is to it.

http://steveprincep1.wix.com/diabetes

It is rather long but I hope it makes sense.

Oh, and I almost forgot, I'll share this on a new thread a little later. Got some cooking to sort out right now.

methornburgh

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I think your A1c you listed is a little off. I am a Type II diabetic and a nurse and if you use an A1c calculator or if you calculate it by hand there is a problem with your A1c of 160, that would mean that your average sugar levels would be 4526 on any given day and that would also mean you would be dead and therefore would not have been able to write anything about yourself here.
A1c and Average Blood Glucose Conversion
A1c: 160 %
Average Blood Glucose in mg/dl: 4526 mg/dl
Average Blood Glucose in mmol/L: 250.8 mmol/L