Just like to say...

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks to this community and the wealth of knowledge shared. I've been dx with diabetes for 18 years and with most of the information from here (and diabeticmuscleandfitness) I have been going from strength to strength. I feel rejuvenated.

Had my hba1c result today, and it was 50, lowest its ever been, although since this test I'm sure its reduced further as I've switched to fiasp and got the libre, so will be looking to control it even better.

Only thing was diabetic consultant said its excellently controlled and I should not try and reduce it any more...
I'm not so sure I agree on that, I will plough on!

Thanks again to everyone!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Well done @Muneeb It's a step in the right direction and a triumph to reflect the effort you put into it :)

Reactions: Ponchu and Muneeb

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks to this community and the wealth of knowledge shared. I've been dx with diabetes for 18 years and with most of the information from here (and diabeticmuscleandfitness) I have been going from strength to strength. I feel rejuvenated.

Had my hba1c result today, and it was 50, lowest its ever been, although since this test I'm sure its reduced further as I've switched to fiasp and got the libre, so will be looking to control it even better.

Only thing was diabetic consultant said its excellently controlled and I should not try and reduce it any more...
I'm not so sure I agree on that, I will plough on!

Thanks again to everyone!

Well done! Did the consultant say why you shouldn’t try and lower it more?

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's really impressive. I find it a struggle to get mine down so any inspiration is welcome. Thanks.
Re going lower, the consultant may be fretting about the risk of losing hypo warnings if you are consistently lower and I think there is some risk of abnromal heart rythmns associated with hypo in type 1. I beleive that most people who get a lower HBA1c do so by swinging from high to low whereas you may well have achieved your result via low insulin and low carb and this not a population whom clinicians have much experience of!

Reactions: michita

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well done! Did the consultant say why you shouldn’t try and lower it more?
The consultant said he didn't see any benefit in trying to reduce it further, it was the recommended level as it is. But I don't necessarily agree as a non-diabetic has a lower Hba1c because its naturally more optimal. Also he believed hypos would increase, although he didn't have any concerns from my records as I don't have many hypos.

Muneeb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's really impressive. I find it a struggle to get mine down so any inspiration is welcome. Thanks.
Re going lower, the consultant may be fretting about the risk of losing hypo warnings if you are consistently lower and I think there is some risk of abnromal heart rythmns associated with hypo in type 1. I beleive that most people who get a lower HBA1c do so by swinging from high to low whereas you may well have achieved your result via low insulin and low carb and this not a population whom clinicians have much experience of!

Yes we all need a bit of a help, and everyone here has been a helping hand in getting mine down. I'd say for me I really got back into fitness and diet just followed. I'm not on a low carb diet as some people, but I'm on amuch lower car diet than I was before. Typically eat ~120g carbs a day still. I've managed to stabalise my levels by seeing how different foods affect my levels (glycemic index) and when to bolus for them, also learning how insulin absorption is affected depening on where I inject, I can link this in then if I want a slower absorption (leg) or a faster absorption (abdominal).