1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Just - One - Cor-net-to!!

Discussion in 'Low-carb Diet Forum' started by nomoredonuts, Jul 17, 2018.

1. nomoredonuts

nomoredonuts Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

I'm going to be pootling the length of Italy this September, and I'm wondering if any members have any experience (or advice) of what is possible to find to fuel long days of sight-seeing. I understand that "normal" breakfast is a coffee with a dunked cornetto - not that ice-cream, but rather a crescent-shaped roll, like a croissant. I could tolerate the milky coffee, but not the bread or pastry. I might struggle to find a plate of bacon in Rome or Naples.

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. Energize

Energize Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@nomoredonuts
    How will you resist all the pizza...??? I couldn't do it! I'm hoping to visit some Italian friends again over Easter next year and pizza and ice cream are going to be terrible temptations :(

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mr_Pot

Mr_Pot Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Reasonably sized hotels usually include ham, cheese and hard boiled eggs in the breakfast buffet although most of it is breads, pastries and cakes, never any chance of bacon unless you stay at a Hilton or similar. I recently spent 2 weeks in Apulia, pizza and pasta were everywhere and I am told were excellent, but unless you want fish or seafood every night it is difficult to find other dishes, even salads were pathetic compared with the UK? Incidentally if you are in Rome I can thoroughly recommend eating at the Roma Termini Station, there is an excellent "hawkers market" type food hall called Mercato Centrale.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Salami, salami and more salami? Bit of cheese on the side? I'm sure there will be loads of amazing delicatessens everywhere..

• Like Like x 1
  5. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

As above hotels do meat and cheese.
    Lunch can be hit and miss.
    Dinner good restaurants do meat and fish with veg or antipasti (veg, salami, ham)

• Like Like x 1
  6. nomoredonuts

I have completely given up my beloved pasta (I'm an ex-chef so it was hard) and avoid pastry. However there is absolutely NO WAY I'm going to Napoli without having at least one pizza. And I fully intend to have a bowl of linguine carbonara, with rich cream and egg. I will attempt to walk or swim off the excess sugar, since as my DN says "you're doing very well but you need a life as well".

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. nomoredonuts

What a great tip! We're going to be coming into Rome every day on a little narrow-gauge train right there. And I have been known to eat seafood three meals a day on holiday - so bring it on Italy!

• Like Like x 2
  8. nomoredonuts

Thanks Mark. It's a bit obvious now I think about it. We are in our own apartments in both centres so I could just buy tons of meat and cheese, wrap it up and snack on it while I'm queuing for everything. Or better still, have two coffees and cream for breakfast, then last until I find a deli, then try out my newly acquired words of Italian. Grazie.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. nomoredonuts

Thanks @Diakat My worry was starting a long day with only coffee in me but I was forgetting that we have apartments. So I could even fill a suitcase at the Kwik-E-Mart with some of Apu's excellent bacon and eat before I go sight-seeing. Evenings - I'm sure I can find something. I've learned to say "I don't eat carbs" in French and Portuguese on the last two holidays!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Rustytypin

Rustytypin Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Just come back from a week cycling in northern Italy, breakfast was coffee cheese and sliced meats. I skipped lunch just drank lots of water. Evening meals not a problem, some delicious food there. Managed to avoid pizza but not pasta, didn't have too much effect on my bsl. Enjoy yourself!

• Like Like x 2
  11. nomoredonuts

That's very encouraging! I'm promising myself to not waste the occasion. A little of what you fancy etc..

12. nomoredonuts

Just bumping this thread as I’m now on the final few days of this cultural trip. Pisa-Florence-Tuscany-Rome-Naples-Amalfi. I’ve behaved a little too well so far. Time to let my remaining hair down. Thanks to all for your advice and good wishes. xx

• Hug Hug x 1
  13. Diakat

Diakat Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Enjoy the final stage, it will fly by.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Listlad

Listlad Prediabetes · BANNED

We found this. It was very popular. I had an excellent raspberry panacotta gelato there, topped with double cream.

15. Flora123

Flora123 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I was in Italy a few months ago and didn’t find it a problem. Eggs for breakfast and steak/chicken and salad with a glass of wine for other meals. Veggies also an option. My BG was very low all week with the help of lots of walking. Enjoy your holiday.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook