just started on insulin

teddybear74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

i have been type 2 for a few years now and have been on metformin ever since i was diagnosed with additions of gliclazide which cause me to go hypo. my previous hba1c was 66 after an increase in the metformin to 2000mg my recent hba1c was 103 I'm not sure what has gone wrong i have lost a lot of weight and found out its coz my sugars have been running so high. my nurse has started me on 8iu of insulatard in the morning which i started today. my readings last night was 13.5 and this morning 10.3 before breakfast. I'm scared to eat anything due to the highest hba1c i have ever had on diagnosis i was only 88. please can someone help me my nurse is excellent and is calling me today for readings

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry to hear of your recent set backs..........

At least now though you're on the journey to getting better...

Low carb is the way to go in this early stage of insulin treatment...

Someone will be along shortly who can talk about that kind of diet and how to begin..

teddybear74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry to hear of your recent set backs..........

At least now though you're on the journey to getting better...

Low carb is the way to go in this early stage of insulin treatment...

Someone will be along shortly who can talk about that kind of diet and how to begin..
thanks novarapidboi26

S

Sani Thomas

Hi all

i have been type 2 for a few years now and have been on metformin ever since i was diagnosed with additions of gliclazide which cause me to go hypo. my previous hba1c was 66 after an increase in the metformin to 2000mg my recent hba1c was 103 I'm not sure what has gone wrong i have lost a lot of weight and found out its coz my sugars have been running so high. my nurse has started me on 8iu of insulatard in the morning which i started today. my readings last night was 13.5 and this morning 10.3 before breakfast. I'm scared to eat anything due to the highest hba1c i have ever had on diagnosis i was only 88. please can someone help me my nurse is excellent and is calling me today for readings
Hi, I went more or less the same as you. I started on Insulin at the beginning of March. I know you are finding it confusing and difficult. I still do myself. My diabetic team explained that it is a process for the body to readjust, but that it gets better.
I had an appointment with a dietician. They emphasised the importance to have carbs in your diet when you take insulin. As for the diet they advised to stick to the normal healthy diet. If you look in the diabetes UK site, you'll find it.
My suggestion is that you follow the nurses advice, do not experiment diet wise (after all you've been keeping a diet before), measure regularly your BG and give yourself time. It is a long long process.

Wish you best, don't despair but if you do, there are many of us who also do (it is part and parcel of the process) and don't beat yourself.

teddybear74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I went more or less the same as you. I started on Insulin at the beginning of March. I know you are finding it confusing and difficult. I still do myself. My diabetic team explained that it is a process for the body to readjust, but that it gets better.
I had an appointment with a dietician. They emphasised the importance to have carbs in your diet when you take insulin. As for the diet they advised to stick to the normal healthy diet. If you look in the diabetes UK site, you'll find it.
My suggestion is that you follow the nurses advice, do not experiment diet wise (after all you've been keeping a diet before), measure regularly your BG and give yourself time. It is a long long process.

Wish you best, don't despair but if you do, there are many of us who also do (it is part and parcel of the process) and don't beat yourself.
thanks sani Thomas i have been like this before when i first got diagnosed. my nurse tested my sugars yesterday morning and it was 25 but yesterday afternoon i hardly ate and hardly have any tea coz i was scared

S

Sani Thomas

thanks sani Thomas i have been like this before when i first got diagnosed. my nurse tested my sugars yesterday morning and it was 25 but yesterday afternoon i hardly ate and hardly have any tea coz i was scared
I know exactly what you mean. I get worried, my diet becomes restricted as I hope it will help reduce the glucose levels, which doesn't happen, I get even more worried, etc. Worrying though causes the glucose to go up.
I think that we just have to be patient and not panic when the glucose goes up.
By the way, there are many factors that cause high levels of BG. It is not a static value. Although I get highs, I have seen very gradual lowering of the average values. I think that sudden lowering can be dangerous as the body has been used to high levels and reacts. For example at the moment I have a hypo at 4.5 mmol. although it is well within my target range. My brain needs to rewire itself to the lower values.
Do you test your BG by yourself and give insulin yourself?

teddybear74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know exactly what you mean. I get worried, my diet becomes restricted as I hope it will help reduce the glucose levels, which doesn't happen, I get even more worried, etc. Worrying though causes the glucose to go up.
I think that we just have to be patient and not panic when the glucose goes up.
By the way, there are many factors that cause high levels of BG. It is not a static value. Although I get highs, I have seen very gradual lowering of the average values. I think that sudden lowering can be dangerous as the body has been used to high levels and reacts. For example at the moment I have a hypo at 4.5 mmol. although it is well within my target range. My brain needs to rewire itself to the lower values.
Do you test your BG by yourself and give insulin yourself?
yes i gave myself insulin this morning and i tested before breakfast and then 2 hrs later. before breakfast i was 10.3 2 hrs later i was 12.6 but like i said i have hardly eaten. my nurse is calling me in about an hour. she told me yesterday that if i have a reading of 4.5 then its a hypo and to treat with orange juice jelly babies or glucose tablets. I'm not even certain if those number this morning are ok or not she did say that she might need to increase the insulin to 10iu

S

Sani Thomas

yes i gave myself insulin this morning and i tested before breakfast and then 2 hrs later. before breakfast i was 10.3 2 hrs later i was 12.6 but like i said i have hardly eaten. my nurse is calling me in about an hour. she told me yesterday that if i have a reading of 4.5 then its a hypo and to treat with orange juice jelly babies or glucose tablets. I'm not even certain if those number this morning are ok or not she did say that she might need to increase the insulin to 10iu
Most likely they will increase the insulin. I started with 8 ui of slow acting insulin. Now it is 26 ui. In addition now I take before meals 9 ui of rapid acting insulin and it is still going up.
I suppose the nurse told you 4.5 was hypo, because like me your body has been used to the high glucose. I think this may change in the future.
Don't stop eating. I know, sometimes it is difficult. But especially with insulin, you need carbs and food so they can balance.

teddybear74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Most likely they will increase the insulin. I started with 8 ui of slow acting insulin. Now it is 26 ui. In addition now I take before meals 9 ui of rapid acting insulin and it is still going up.
I suppose the nurse told you 4.5 was hypo, because like me your body has been used to the high glucose. I think this may change in the future.
Don't stop eating. I know, sometimes it is difficult. But especially with insulin, you need carbs and food so they can balance.
i wont stop eating don't worry. do i need to eat at regular intervals as I'm back to work tomorrow and i get half hour breaks in a 10 hour shift and i might need to get them to change it in the morning if i do as i have no idea when those breaks are until i get in in the morning

S

Sani Thomas

i wont stop eating don't worry. do i need to eat at regular intervals as I'm back to work tomorrow and i get half hour breaks in a 10 hour shift and i might need to get them to change it in the morning if i do as i have no idea when those breaks are until i get in in the morning
I think you need to tell your employer that you are on insulin and that you need regular breaks so you can eat. And yes, I think it is best to eat at regular intervals as that balances the body functions. I used to live on coffee and a sandwich a day as I have always been bad eater. When I was diagnosed, that was the most difficult thing to do - learn to have 3 meals a day. But after some time my body learned that it would receive nutrition regularly and I even got prompts by feeling hungry. Before that it was in a state of stress.
I'm no better eater now, but I "advertised" to my colleagues and my husband, who kept reminding me and that was a great help. In general I've found it helpful to let people know I am diabetic. It is surprising how many are supporting.
Another thing, you'll probably need to tell your colleagues about hypo and how to help you. I have made a small bag ( insulated lunch bag) into my emergency/diabetic bag which I take everywhere I go. Inside I keep licorice, glucose tablets and glucose drink from the pharmacy, oatcakes and a banana. Also my insulin and blood sugar machine. I find it easier and mind settling to have it ready with me. Sort of an insurance. Also I have given to my husband to read all information I was given and where the glucose tablets are at home. I also keep glucose tablets and drink at home and in the car. Just trying to ensure I'm covered.

teddybear74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think you need to tell your employer that you are on insulin and that you need regular breaks so you can eat. And yes, I think it is best to eat at regular intervals as that balances the body functions. I used to live on coffee and a sandwich a day as I have always been bad eater. When I was diagnosed, that was the most difficult thing to do - learn to have 3 meals a day. But after some time my body learned that it would receive nutrition regularly and I even got prompts by feeling hungry. Before that it was in a state of stress.
I'm no better eater now, but I "advertised" to my colleagues and my husband, who kept reminding me and that was a great help. In general I've found it helpful to let people know I am diabetic. It is surprising how many are supporting.
Another thing, you'll probably need to tell your colleagues about hypo and how to help you. I have made a small bag ( insulated lunch bag) into my emergency/diabetic bag which I take everywhere I go. Inside I keep licorice, glucose tablets and glucose drink from the pharmacy, oatcakes and a banana. Also my insulin and blood sugar machine. I find it easier and mind settling to have it ready with me. Sort of an insurance. Also I have given to my husband to read all information I was given and where the glucose tablets are at home. I also keep glucose tablets and drink at home and in the car. Just trying to ensure I'm covered.
i have told my manager I'm now on insulin but was just concerned abut the breaks as i have breakfast at 6 and my first break normally isn't till 11.30 then again at around 3.30 dinner about 7

S

Sani Thomas

i have told my manager I'm now on insulin but was just concerned abut the breaks as i have breakfast at 6 and my first break normally isn't till 11.30 then again at around 3.30 dinner about 7
Maybe they can organise 10 min for a snack before 11.30? An employer is legally obliged to make reasonable adjustments to accommodate employees with disabilities. In the context of the Disabilities Act, diabetics are people with disability.

teddybear74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi is it normal to feel sick all day after starting insulatard before i call my nurse i have had not much of an appetite all day

woldsway

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I can sympathise re the insulin. After years of glictazide and one year of humalin I basal, I was changed to insulatard in january this year. I started on 12 units before bed and am now up to 38 units which is where I am now. It took a few weeks to even out and I felt sick frequently, the thing is you have to eat sometimes when you dont feel like it. I still struggle with breakfast but with the long acting insulin, forxiga and gliclazide, I dare not miss it. it is important to let your employer and work colleagus be aware of the situation and for them to let you have a snack earlier, even if it's a handful of nuts and piece of cheese.
I hope you were reassured by the phone call , please let us know how you get on