Just started Tresiba - bad experience

bhadkamkar

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
More than 95% of the reviews/comments that I read about the tresiba made me confident that it is THE basal to try as everyone appreciates its safety and efficiency. I started 3 days ago, but I seem to have lots of problems. I was at a 8 units daily dose of levemir, and I am injecting 8 units of tresiba daily now.

The problem is not only do I wake up with high blood sugar (but under levemir I wasn't), but my bolus (humalog) insulin seems not to work as well as before; I am taking 200% of the humalog doses I am used too, for every meal, and I am still almost always in hyperglycemia.

What does that mean? My body is now producing antibodies against all insulins? I have an infection due to the new insulin?

Did that ever happen to anyone starting tresiba? Any feedback would be soooo helpful!!

Thanks...

I will try to take 14 units of tresiba tonight and augment gradually the doses. If the situation fails to resolve, I give myself 3 weeks to get back to levemir.
I switched from Levemir to Tresiba about three months ago. I split my dose morning and evening as suggested by Dr Bernstein. I find my overnight blood sugar very stable with no more hypos and the dawn phenomenon appears to have disappeared. I can really recommend it

what was reason for changing from levimir to tresiba?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I tried every basal and as I am intolerant to new cannulas on pump ended up on tresiba. Consultant had previously mentioned having a diaport. Thankfully tresiba is working ok.. not perfect but better than any other option.
However, it has taken 3 months to get to levels that I'm reasonably ok with.
I still have to wake somewhere between 4am and 6am to stop DP and again inject before I get up because of the symogyi effect. 2 bolus jabs to prevent both rises...
1/2 unit pens are vital for me as I'm on quite a low dose too.
I have had to increase the bolus for my food to give more insulin.
I was having to have 3 insulatard alshots a day before the tresiba and the crossovers of that basal and the bolus obviously lowered the need for so much quick acting insulin.

I wont getba flat line like I used to ne able to do on the pump prior to my body reacting badly to the cannulas but this is better than any other basal insulin for me.

I do miss having good quality sleep. Hosp suggested 7am jabs but my levels start to go up before that so I cant stretch to 7am. This morn for example I was 4.3 at 2.48 but by 6.22 I was 7.4 without eating. If I just did nothing till 9am I would be between 12-16 before getting up at 10am and without another pre getting up jab I would be as high as 20 without the 2nd bolus.

No basal indulin can cope with my rises.. only the pump or me having disturbed sleep...

IMG_1486316114.888165.jpg

JoCo

I tried Tresiba a few years back, in an attempt to stop night time hypos (something about being comatose every night for four hours, but anyway), after getting the dose sorted and the novorapid doses to fit in, I started having severe night time hypos, especially if i went to bed early. So swapped back to Lantus after 4 weeks. Lantus works for about 18 hours, so runs out when my evening supper does, so fits in well for me. Still just take Lantus/Novorapid/Apidra combo, which works well enough, A1c between 6.5 - 7.1 normally.

Zoeglitterbug

Hi, just seen your message.
Fact is, I'm not 100% sure if I'd have stuck to evenings that my BG would not be as good as it is now. I kept changing dose every three days and after a week of morning hypos, thought I'd try a morning dose of tresiba. It's settled down now and my BG is normal in the mornings now (5.8 today!) rather than 3.2 which I'd been seeing each day. It is just trial and error. I've found really stable BG levels in the day. My issue was always on rising and I thought I suffered DP, but that seems to be corrected (?). But you're right, apparently tresiba lasts maybe 36 hours, so technically it wouldn't make a difference when it was injected. I just like having one basal shot rather than two (the small things...) and the mornings suits me. It's great having the libre to see what's happening too.
I find morning for my long acting, the best for me too ) I suffer from morning hypos)

Forerunner

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm having a bad time with tresiba too, I used to be able to adjust basal daily but it doesn't work with tresiba u100, is this because when I'm having hypos and reduce by 2 units the reduction of tresiba doesn't take effect for up to 42 hours so do I need to wait 2 days or even longer before making another adjustments I was on 17 units tresiba and 1 unit to 1 cp fiasp but I reduced to 16 then 14 and started getting highs.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I'm having a bad time with tresiba too, I used to be able to adjust basal daily but it doesn't work with tresiba u100, is this because when I'm having hypos and reduce by 2 units the reduction of tresiba doesn't take effect for up to 42 hours so do I need to wait 2 days or even longer before making another adjustments I was on 17 units tresiba and 1 unit to 1 cp fiasp but I reduced to 16 then 14 and started getting highs.

Changes in tresiba dose can take 3 to 4 days to take effect so making multiple changes in less time than this can cause confusion as you won’t know what change has worked then when you find it’s right it may continue to change..

Tresiba is not suitable for people who need to change basal a lot because of this!

When tresiba is right it’s great.. but it’s difficult to compensate for a massively variable lifestyle. I used to have to predict busy days 3 days in advance and if I reduced too much try and make up the difference with rapid!

Reactions: Struma