Just to let you know

HelenHak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks to the advice I have taken from this forum I am now off Metformin!
Six months after diagnosis my HbA1c has drooped from 95 to35
BP 110/78
BMI 21.4
Nurse says my cholesterol is a bit high for a diabetic at HDL 1.6 and LDL 3.5 but I refused statins. I don't think that is disastrously bad.
Any thoughts?

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
BP 110/78
BMI 21.4
Nurse says my cholesterol is a bit high for a diabetic at HDL 1.6 and LDL 3.5 but I refused statins. I don't think that is disastrously bad.
Any thoughts?
That's really news about getting off Metformin! As for the statins, that's a bit out of my area.

Reactions: HelenHak

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Well done Helen, have a look through the threads on the forum Other Medications has a lot of information on statins from posters with experience of both using and not using statins. Some people find that it takes a while for the "good cholesterol HDL" to rise and the LDL to fall. There are also various articles on the site regarding statins. Just type into search box and enter into any discussion thread which suits your situation. Well done again on reducing your HbA1c - by a ginormous amount at that :playful:

Reactions: doc007 and HelenHak

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What a massive drop.. brilliant result.. well done you :)
It's up to you on the statins .. I'd tend to wait and see what the next results are though

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
3.9 seems to be the magic number for total cholesterol not causing heart disease!
I'm normally 4.4 max. I have mild heart disease.
Calcium score is 19.

Keeping fingers crossed over symptoms lately aren't a heart attack threat.
We'll see by next friday.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
3.9 seems to be the magic number for total cholesterol not causing heart disease!

Only according to NICE and the NHS or the people they take advice from. Modern science says otherwise. It seems mid 5s for total cholesterol for a woman is the ideal level to have. However, we all know the Total is meaningless. It is the HDL/LDL/Triglycerides and associated ratios that matter.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations, what an inspiring and magnificent drop in HbA1c. BMI is brilliant, and so is the BP. :)

You need to make up your own mind about statins. There are many threads on the forum with links and videos.
What were your triglycerides? They are the baddies.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
BP 110/78
BMI 21.4
Any thoughts?

amazing numbers all the way around , also the cholesterol fine job you have done...:):):):):)

HelenHak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Congratulations, what an inspiring and magnificent drop in HbA1c. BMI is brilliant, and so is the BP. :)

You need to make up your own mind about statins. There are many threads on the forum with links and videos.
What were your triglycerides? They are the baddies.

She didn't say. Will ask the doctor when I see him tomorrow. Thanks.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
Really well done! My cholesterol level hovers around 5.5. the breakdown, as others have said is much more important than the raw overall figure (so long as that figure isn't crazy high). I refused statins after a considerable amount of reading...there is much debate, but I don't feel the possible risks are worth the possible benefits (neither being in any way shape or form dramatically high). I basically don't worry about my 5.5 at all...I have bigger fish to fry (though not in high fat products). Your HDL should improve the longer you stay low carbing.

HelenHak

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Update. Saw my GP today. He said not to bother wth statins as my BGs are normal range all the time and to keep on the blood pressure tablets for their protective effects. I am not only normal but so much better than my previous normal in every way. Now to start introducing a few more foods, one at a time, and testing after 1hr and 2 hrs to try to improve the variety of foods in my diet.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is brilliant news @HelenHak

It always makes things easier and more helpful when our medical support system backs us! :D

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Any thoughts? Yes, brilliant, well done. :D To me those results are all perfect, including the cholesterol and your GP is quite right if you are achieving non-diabetic BGs then there is no need to class you as a diabetic when considering cholesterol.