Just weird

Troubled1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I’ve been very low carb for over a year now. I usually eat one meal per day and during work just have coffee with cream. Today I was out of town same scenario, coffee with cream hadn’t eaten since dinner last night.

I checked my blood glucose, 4.6 ok great, it’s good, I can dip into the bowl of Halloween candy and have a few treats. Well, a few turned into a lot more than I care to admit. 3 hours later when I got home I figured, ok, I should check and see how bad it is now. I was shocked 2.6!! Ok, my meter and strips were cold. I held them under my arm for about 5 minutes and rechecked. 2.9.

I had/have no signs of hypoglycemia and I feel normal. I’ve had readings in the 3’s before but never in the 2’s. I’m not on any meds for type2 or anything else. These low readings, especially after all the sugar I ingested have me baffled.

Anybody care to speculate on why this happened??

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’d assume that the sugar spiked your blood sugars and the low you caught was the corresponding crash.

When wearing a Libre, if I eat more carbs than usual (and we’re not talking full on sugar), I’ll get a spike and then drop back down below where I started.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
The cold can do that to your meter and strips.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I’ve been very low carb for over a year now. I usually eat one meal per day and during work just have coffee with cream. Today I was out of town same scenario, coffee with cream hadn’t eaten since dinner last night.

I checked my blood glucose, 4.6 ok great, it’s good, I can dip into the bowl of Halloween candy and have a few treats. Well, a few turned into a lot more than I care to admit. 3 hours later when I got home I figured, ok, I should check and see how bad it is now. I was shocked 2.6!! Ok, my meter and strips were cold. I held them under my arm for about 5 minutes and rechecked. 2.9.

I had/have no signs of hypoglycemia and I feel normal. I’ve had readings in the 3’s before but never in the 2’s. I’m not on any meds for type2 or anything else. These low readings, especially after all the sugar I ingested have me baffled.

Anybody care to speculate on why this happened??

Ok, on first reading, it could be something to do with your monitor or strips.
But the reading before that in the threes is still considered a hypo!
Before I was diagnosed, I never knew that I was having hypos!
What tests have you had?
What is your Hba1c levels?
What are your diabetic levels like after a low carb meal? Pre meal and one hour, two hours?
Have you tested three to four hours after carbs?
As suggested, a libre would track your blood sugar levels continually, so you can get an idea what is going on.

And I have actually been called weird by my GP!

Troubled1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Ok, on first reading, it could be something to do with your monitor or strips.
But the reading before that in the threes is still considered a hypo!
Before I was diagnosed, I never knew that I was having hypos!
What tests have you had?
What is your Hba1c levels?
What are your diabetic levels like after a low carb meal? Pre meal and one hour, two hours?
Have you tested three to four hours after carbs?
As suggested, a libre would track your blood sugar levels continually, so you can get an idea what is going on.

And I have actually been called weird by my GP!

My last HbA1C was 5.9 in September. A little high but not quite in the pre-diabetic range. Readings before meals are usually 4.5-5.5, before a low carb meal. After 2hrs usually low to mid 5’s. If I have rice, it goes up to between 6.5-8.

One thing I should mention whether or not it matters is, I’ve never been a big water drinker. I really have to force myself to drink a glass of water. Coffee on the other hand I can drink it from morning until night.