Just when I thought I things were settling down..........

pplprincess5480

So I thought we were getting the hang of the whole diabetes thing, managing Lottie's sugars well and slowly becoming less stressed.

About two weeks ago Lottie was having really high blood sugar readings and I couldn't work out why. I changed her insulin, tested her monitors everything. We were giving her more and more insulin and they still weren't coming down.

We took her to a local street fair where she was performing with her dance group. She danced reluctantly and then when I was changing her afterwards I noticed quite a few spots on her neck and then checked her body, yep you've guessed it - CHICKEN POX or chicken spots as Lottie calls them.

Bless her, after all she's been through. She was really poorly and completely covered and her sugars were really high, I was on the phone to the hospital every day. I was really stressing about her not eating. They kept saying we were coping really well and I was like - am I? Then because her sugars were so high, all her spots became infected and she was put on antibiotics. We're now on our second course.

She's a lot better but still on the antibiotics, just thought I'd update you all on where we've been.

rosgrech

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Re: Just when I thought I things were settling down.........

Poor little love - bless her.

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.

It is horrible dealing with diabetes AND illness. I've been going through this for the last few months and both Khaleb and I are now with a cold (my first but I'm sure it is Khaleb's 10th). It's Winter here, so we've probably got another month or so to survive.

It would be nice just to be able to let out kids be sick and sleep it off but the rounds of testing and injections tend to double and sleep is out of the question. I gave Khaleb a correction dose at 3am (bsl 16mmol) even though he went to bed with bsl 7.5. I've had to swing Khaleb's insulin doses from 10 units a day to 22 units a day just to keep fairly average control.

As this is our 3rd winter with diabetes I tend to just accept that control isn't going to be great, while he is sick, and as long as I can keep him between 4 and 15, MOST of the time, that is good enough. He has popped a 26mmol in the last month and also had a 1.5mmol :shock: .

I'm very lucky that Khaleb has already been vaccinated for Chicken Pox and I had my older son vaccinated also. I had them when I was about 7.

Hang in there and keep doing what your doing. Even though it might not feel like you are in control you are doing the best you can. There is very little logic to blood sugars while sick and I often find once the illness is at its end Khaleb can be prone to some sudden hypos - Maybe the higher insulin doses but I think this is also putting back some stores in his body.

Hoping Lottie has a speedy recovery and isn't too itchy.

annettekp

Oh poor Lottie. I hope she's on the mend now.

Erland is just getting over a stinker of a cold and he's been reading high too and just not hungry. Makes it so hard.

Jen -here's hoping its the last one of your winter.

Annette

ZACNEMMA

Oh bless her, she sounds like an absolute trooper. Hope she is over the worse.

Zac and Emma