Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
Hi, I have never eaten a Carb Killa bar, but being coeliac, I sometimes buy Nine bars, it has nine seeds, no wheat or gluten and about 11 carbs per bar, I like the carob best. Maybe this could be an alternative bar for you ?
How do they taste, could they be a meal replacement. What would you say they are a protein bar maybe? Lastly where can you buy them from. Thank you for the reply too. Q.

CondorX

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did see the Karb Killas on Amazon but thought they had too many additives in for my liking......then I found these new Trek Protein Bars this week - they are gluten free and suitable for vegans and seem to have relatively low carbs at about 6.6-6.9 depending on flavour.
IMG_0961.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Robinredbreast
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
How do they taste, could they be a meal replacement. What would you say they are a protein bar maybe? Lastly where can you buy them from. Thank you for the reply too. Q.

You can buy them from most supermarkets, they taste lovely and packed full of delicious seeds and there are a few different varieties.

IDShot_540x540.jpg

£2.25
£1.41/100g
Add Nine Original Seeds Bars 4X40g

Last edited:
Reactions: Q007

CondorX

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can but from most supermarkets, they taste lovely and packed full of delicious seeds and there are a few different varieties.

IDShot_540x540.jpg

£2.25
£1.41/100g
Add Nine Original Seeds Bars 4X40g

They look really nice too........will buy and try and see how the glucose levels go........

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
They look really nice too........will buy and try and see how the glucose levels go........

I am not keen on the raspberry ones, even though I grow my own raspberries and I love them, but not in the Nine bar.
I hope you like them, I love the variety of seeds in the bars :hungry:

Reactions: Q007

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
I am not keen on the raspberry ones, even though I grow my own raspberries and I love them, but not in the Nine bar.
I hope you like them, I love the variety of seeds in the bars :hungry:
Thank you they look scrummy. Q

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
You could always buy just one bar of one or two flavours that particularly appeal to you and experiment, testing just before then one and two hours after. I think I'd rather do that than buy a whole load that i react badly to - or, worse, that i don't much like the taste of.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I did see the Karb Killas on Amazon but thought they had too many additives in for my liking......then I found these new Trek Protein Bars this week - they are gluten free and suitable for vegans and seem to have relatively low carbs at about 6.6-6.9 depending on flavour. View attachment 33202
I think they are higher carb. They are oat based so around 20g carb a bar I think.

WuTwo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People whose attitude says "Me, my opinion, my desire is greater and more important than anyone else"

And to whom the principle of ahimsa is a closed book that they refuse to open because it would make life more difficult for them.
I haven't tried the vegan Karb Killer bars but would warn about my experience with the Nakd bars which are of the same ilk.

I had to dash upstairs to the loo at top speed several times. I haven't been quite so empty since my last colonoscopy!

I shan't buy products like that again - easier on the digestion to make my own!

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I think they are higher carb. They are oat based so around 20g carb a bar I think.
Ah, my mistake the oat ones are higher - the nut ones come in under 10g.

CondorX

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just about to post nooooo it’s the original one that is so high! This one is 6.9 and the pumpkin /blueberry one 6.2.

Reactions: Diakat

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you very much, a lot of effort in your reply. Please remember the XPERT course which hard wired us into believing slow release carbs were needed. Its hard to do another u turn to low or no carbing, really hard.

The meds I take are all essential, I take them in 4 unequal doses per day. Things like a trinitrate spray. I was classed as treatment resistant to drugs many years ago and drugs I take now I tolerate. Metformin made me very ill, just life. Hope this answers your notes, again thank you very much. Quentin
As a fellow heart failure sufferer, I empathise with you. One thing I learnt from my recent bypass op is that the damage shown in the angiogram started decades ago, and my recent heart attacks were more due to that buildup than anthing I have done recently in the way of low carb high(ish) fat diet. The Consultant has advised me to keep it up since it is controlling my bgl levels, my BP, my TC and general blood panel results, and I have recovered from the op quite well now. It was only 3 weeks ago, and I am mowing the lawn already.

Yes LCHF is totally turning dietary advice on its head, but I have been using it for 4 years now, and it certainly worked for me. My HbA1c dropped from over 100 down to 41 within a few months, and even after 3 months on hospital food, and no diabetes meds due to contraindictions with heart meds, then my HbA1c was only raised to 51. So my LC diet has put me in a good position to survive all that I did, and now I am out, my bgl levels have started to recover back to the 4's and 5's that I became used to. So IMHO it would be worthy of consideration for your future lifestyle. Try it and see how your bgl levels react to it.

As regarding washing fingers before testing, then yes it is essential. The bgl meter is measuring conductivity of the blood sample, and uses enzymes in the strip to convert glucose into lower resistance. However, our fingers have sweat glands, and sweat contains salt, so we naturally exude something that lowers conductivity, and will affect a reading. Also our fingers exude natural oils that can increase resistivity, again affecting the result, so a quick wash with slightly soapy solution, followed by a good dry off is recommended.

Edit: Sorry, derailment over, I do not use any of these products, and my instinct is why use them as there are other things I can use that are healthier. Even the manager in H&B agreed that they are not diabetic friendly, even the protein bars he sells. But I guess they are ok for those needing snacks on the go. There are worse ones on the shelves after all.

Last edited:
Reactions: WuTwo and Q007

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
As a fellow heart failure sufferer, I empathise with you. One thing I learnt from my recent bypass op is that the damage shown in the angiogram started decades ago, and my recent heart attacks were more due to that buildup than anthing I have done recently in the way of low carb high(ish) fat diet. The Consultant has advised me to keep it up since it is controlling my bgl levels, my BP, my TC and general blood panel results, and I have recovered from the op quite well now. It was only 3 weeks ago, and I am mowing the lawn already.

Yes LCHF is totally turning dietary advice on its head, but I have been using it for 4 years now, and it certainly worked for me. My HbA1c dropped from over 100 down to 41 within a few months, and even after 3 months on hospital food, and no diabetes meds due to contraindictions with heart meds, then my HbA1c was only raised to 51. So my LC diet has put me in a good position to survive all that I did, and now I am out, my bgl levels have started to recover back to the 4's and 5's that I became used to. So IMHO it would be worthy of consideration for your future lifestyle. Try it and see how your bgl levels react to it.

As regarding washing fingers before testing, then yes it is essential. The bgl meter is measuring conductivity of the blood sample, and uses enzymes in the strip to convert glucose into lower resistance. However, our fingers have sweat glands, and sweat contains salt, so we naturally exude something that lowers conductivity, and will affect a reading. Also our fingers exude natural oils that can increase resistivity, again affecting the result, so a quick wash with slightly soapy solution, followed by a good dry off is recommended.

Edit: Sorry, derailment over, I do not use any of these products, and my instinct is why use them as there are other things I can use that are healthier. Even the manager in H&B agreed that they are not diabetic friendly, even the protein bars he sells. But I guess they are ok for those needing snacks on the go. There are worse ones on the shelves after all.
Fabulous reply thank you very much, especially as we both have HF. Mine is LV Systolic 30% is was in resus for 12 hours. They got away with doing a PCI rather a bypass but I had already refused surgery kind of intervention so that may have been why.

I'm on the maximum dose of Pregabalin which means I'm always hungry and in the kitchen looking for snacks.

This is why I thought the high protein bars would help me. I am so hopeful they'll do something for me given the fact everyone here is saying do a 180 and low carb.

I had some granola the other morning and I was full all day till dinner about 6pm, it stopped me craving. I dont know how much was in the bowl but someone recommended a set of scales they'd bought so I ordered a set and now able to weigh out portions, they arrived today.

I'd like to stay in touch as we're similar and learn from your successes. Best wishes, Q.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Fabulous reply thank you very much, especially as we both have HF. Mine is LV Systolic 30% is was in resus for 12 hours. They got away with doing a PCI rather a bypass but I had already refused surgery kind of intervention so that may have been why.

I'm on the maximum dose of Pregabalin which means I'm always hungry and in the kitchen looking for snacks.

This is why I thought the high protein bars would help me. I am so hopeful they'll do something for me given the fact everyone here is saying do a 180 and low carb.

I had some granola the other morning and I was full all day till dinner about 6pm, it stopped me craving. I dont know how much was in the bowl but someone recommended a set of scales they'd bought so I ordered a set and now able to weigh out portions, they arrived today.

I'd like to stay in touch as we're similar and learn from your successes. Best wishes, Q.
Please be aware that carbs are only part of the picture. A major part certainly, but our body also converts protein in our diet into glucose and/ or lipids that can become significant for diabetics. As a rule of thumb the RDA for protein is around 0.8g per kg of body weight. Too much protein can stress the kidneys so can lead to AKI markers in the blood test.