KARB KILLER BARS, TRUTH OR FAKE

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you very much, a lot of effort in your reply. Please remember the XPERT course which hard wired us into believing slow release carbs were needed. Its hard to do another u turn to low or no carbing, really hard.

The meds I take are all essential, I take them in 4 unequal doses per day. Things like a trinitrate spray. I was classed as treatment resistant to drugs many years ago and drugs I take now I tolerate. Metformin made me very ill, just life. Hope this answers your notes, again thank you very much. Quentin
I understand it’s hard. Lots of us here have attended similar courses. But if their advice isn’t working then it’s time to try something new, and the track record of this is excellent. Please do read the links (or more info elsewhere) at least before righting it off.

The meds I referred to were diabetic meds rather than those for any other conditions.

Good luck deciding on the best way forward for you.

Reactions: 1spuds

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Anybody had success or failure with these bars, I'm just about to buy a whole box off Amazon. Kind wishes to all, Quentin.

About the same amount of carbs as a slice of bread. A slice of bread will raise my BG to over 12 and that doesn't return to the 5-7 range for 3 hours. Personally, I'll be avoiding them.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
My local co op is now selling them I havn't tried them yet more due to the expense than anything else but I may purchase one today and try them out.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My local co op is now selling them I havn't tried them yet more due to the expense than anything else but I may purchase one today and try them out.
Definitely test before and after though to be sure of your personal response to them. Be aware the urgency of any digestive issues for a few people can be significant.

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
About the same amount of carbs as a slice of bread. A slice of bread will raise my BG to over 12 and that doesn't return to the 5-7 range for 3 hours. Personally, I'll be avoiding them.
Thank you for your reply

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Update to my comment about Carb Killa bars. I’ve just received my grocery delivery and amongst it I had ordered a couple of the original flavours of bars. It would appear they have changed their labelling. They no long seem to be putting “impact” carb numbers on the front of the packet on any flavours, though the nutritional info is now larger print on the back, just need to do the maths now!

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
My daughter isn't diabetic but follows low carbing as a diet for weight loss.

She's raving about these Karb Killer bars and has one everyday if she sins too much. She is in excellent shape.

On the XPERT course I went on they threw out all diets and 'wonder' products vs a healthy diet with 1/3rd carbs 1/3rd protein and 1/3rd veg.

Anybody had success or failure with these bars, I'm just about to buy a whole box off Amazon. Kind wishes to all, Quentin.
I eat these bars, and to be honest, they're probably the thing that keeps me on track and not need to deviate from the lifestyle. I tested my BG before and after, so I could get a gauge on their effect on my blood and for me, they didn't affect it. I buy the boxes and one a day, and I'm still in the 'normal' rating for diabetes. I don't eat chocolate nor any other sweets/candy/desserts etc, those Grenade karb killer protein bars are the only thing I'll eat. I don't feel like I need anything else, especially having done a radical lifestyle change and cut out all sugary or carby snacks. Best thing is test them on your BG, then see if they work for you. They work great as a substitute for special occasions that you might usually have, ie birthdays - mine is coming up and rather than a birthday cake, which has always been the case in the past, I've got a birthday cake flavour protein bar, total change! Personally, I think they're a good substitute for sweets, but only one a day max, or work out how they affect the BG.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Loads of carbs, loads of polyols, and a list of ingredients longer than the average shopping list. Personally I’d stick with food, but it’s your choice.

When shopping and I look at the nutrition info on anything, if there is a great long list I don't even bother reading it... already know it's junk and full of ****, so I put it back.

Reactions: 1spuds

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
I eat these bars, and to be honest, they're probably the thing that keeps me on track and not need to deviate from the lifestyle. I tested my BG before and after, so I could get a gauge on their effect on my blood and for me, they didn't affect it. I buy the boxes and one a day, and I'm still in the 'normal' rating for diabetes. I don't eat chocolate nor any other sweets/candy/desserts etc, those Grenade karb killer protein bars are the only thing I'll eat. I don't feel like I need anything else, especially having done a radical lifestyle change and cut out all sugary or carby snacks. Best thing is test them on your BG, then see if they work for you. They work great as a substitute for special occasions that you might usually have, ie birthdays - mine is coming up and rather than a birthday cake, which has always been the case in the past, I've got a birthday cake flavour protein bar, total change! Personally, I think they're a good substitute for sweets, but only one a day max, or work out how they affect the BG.
Thank you for this kind reply. I take Pregabalin which side effects to snacking on carby things, if I wasn't on it I think I'd still be a culprit., I'm just finding it so very hard ATM.
Are they chocolate bars then? Are they hard or chewy, I have a lose bridge and need 3 route canals to fix it. Hoping the day finds you very well today, Q.

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
When shopping and I look at the nutrition info on anything, if there is a great long list I don't even bother reading it... already know it's junk and full of ****, so I put it back.
I appreciate your replies Jim but I find them very negative to read which is a shame as you sound as if your knowledge is there. The other evening in a perfectly reasonable question from me you called me "shifty" I was very offended. Rather you didn't reply unless you can follow the others with different ideas put in decent manner.

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
Thank you for this kind reply. I take Pregabalin which side effects to snacking on carby things, if I wasn't on it I think I'd still be a culprit., I'm just finding it so very hard ATM.
Are they chocolate bars then? Are they hard or chewy, I have a lose bridge and need 3 route canals to fix it. Hoping the day finds you very well today, Q.
They're basically protein bars, but I find they're a better substitute to sweet stuff, which pre diagnosis was one of my downfalls. They're usually much lower in carbs and sugar than sweets, although as the fine folk on here have said, they are processed so contain fillers. The thing is, with diabetes being a lifelong element if a person can just cut out all the 'treats' then great, and fair play. For me, I stopped eating all sweets and went quite militant about snacks etc, and just stopped them. These protein bars are basically my substitute for sweet treats, which I really don't do anymore. They've got a consistency like a Mars Bar, so quite soft, not like caramel, but shouldn't do damage to teeth etc. Main thing is to see if they work for your BG through testing. I read about them on forums that no, they're not 'good' for you as such, but they're much better than an actual Mars Bar or other sweet stuff, all things considered (carbs, fat, sugar, protein etc). Plus, if they help you from falling back/into unhealthy sweet cravings, I don't see anything wrong with them. For me, being an ex sugar fiend, they've helped me overcome that and stay on track. :)

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
They're basically protein bars, but I find they're a better substitute to sweet stuff, which pre diagnosis was one of my downfalls. They're usually much lower in carbs and sugar than sweets, although as the fine folk on here have said, they are processed so contain fillers. The thing is, with diabetes being a lifelong element if a person can just cut out all the 'treats' then great, and fair play. For me, I stopped eating all sweets and went quite militant about snacks etc, and just stopped them. These protein bars are basically my substitute for sweet treats, which I really don't do anymore. They've got a consistency like a Mars Bar, so quite soft, not like caramel, but shouldn't do damage to teeth etc. Main thing is to see if they work for your BG through testing. I read about them on forums that no, they're not 'good' for you as such, but they're much better than an actual Mars Bar or other sweet stuff, all things considered (carbs, fat, sugar, protein etc). Plus, if they help you from falling back/into unhealthy sweet cravings, I don't see anything wrong with them. For me, being an ex sugar fiend, they've helped me overcome that and stay on track. :)
Thank you very much for the reply, I was in the same sugar club too. Can I ask which Grenade Karb Killa bar you eat? I've already looked on Amazon and there's a selection of them.
To be honest the carb content look high with 29gr in a bar but 13gr which sugars?? If you could let me know I'd be very grateful.
I misunderstood the message I thought Karb Killa did something to bring your BG down, feel stupid. If you could let me know there's a flapjack one that look good, what's a flapjack though?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Here is one of the ones I eat. I don’t eat the flapjack ones, I assume they contain cereals maybe oats? So I guess would be high carb.
To calculate the ‘impact’ carbs look at the total carbs (blue arrow) and then subtract the polyols (green arrow) so in this case 16.2 - 13.2 = 3g. The first time you try one test before and two hours afterwards as some people find that polyols do affect their blood sugars. Grenade used to state impact carbs on the front of the packet but have stopped doing that now which is annoying.
In all of this calculation ignore ‘sugars’ as they are included in the carb count anyway. I’m like @IronLioness , I eat them as an occasional treat. I had one this afternoon in the coffee shop with hubby while he tucked into a cake :)

17FD9DE3-A07A-402E-BC97-A9CFA3493CBE.jpeg
Thank you very much for the reply, I was in the same sugar club too. Can I ask which Grenade Karb Killa bar you eat? I've already looked on Amazon and there's a selection of them.
To be honest the carb content look high with 29gr in a bar but 13gr which sugars?? If you could let me know I'd be very grateful.
I misunderstood the message I thought Karb Killa did something to bring your BG down, feel stupid. If you could let me know there's a flapjack one that look good, what's a flapjack though?

Reactions: IronLioness

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
I have a mix of them, my favourite is the birthday cake flavour one, then the white chocolate one, and their newest the raspberry one. Although, there's a caramel one which is the lowest in carbs and sugar, tastes equally as nice. These are the ones I'm taking in holiday with me later this week - I don't eat dessert, I just have one of these.
DSC_6282-2201x1238.JPG
DSC_6283-2201x1238.JPG

Reactions: Q007 and Rachox

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
I have a mix of them, my favourite is the birthday cake flavour one, then the white chocolate one, and their newest the raspberry one. Although, there's a caramel one which is the lowest in carbs and sugar, tastes equally as nice. These are the ones I'm taking in holiday with me later this week - I don't eat dessert, I just have one of these. View attachment 33197View attachment 33198
Thank you very much I'm going to have a go, I'll let you know how I get on! Q.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have a mix of them, my favourite is the birthday cake flavour one, then the white chocolate one, and their newest the raspberry one. Although, there's a caramel one which is the lowest in carbs and sugar, tastes equally as nice. These are the ones I'm taking in holiday with me later this week - I don't eat dessert, I just have one of these. View attachment 33197View attachment 33198
The raspberry one is so tasty but higher carb than the others, once you’ve done the calculation it’s 7g carbs.

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
The raspberry one is so tasty but higher carb than the others, once you’ve done the calculation it’s 7g carbs.
Yup, moderation needed for all of them really. They just taste so darn good. :)

Reactions: Q007

Q007

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People who tell lies.
My GP (Dr Doom).
Yup, moderation needed for all of them really. They just taste so darn good. :)
I can't wait to buy and try, something to look forward to. Thank you very much again, very decent of you. Qx

Reactions: IronLioness

IronLioness

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Routine
I can't wait to buy and try, something to look forward to. Thank you very much again, very decent of you. Qx

Happy to help. It might be a lifelong condition, but life needs to be lived - it doesn't mean we have to just stick to eating lettuce leaves and vegetables and have no treats, ever. We just need to be smarter with our choices and go for swaps where possible. I couldn't imagine a life with zero goodies, of any kind. Yikes... it'd be pretty dull, and more likely to fall 'off the wagon', so to speak.. These aren't the best, but, they're definitely not the worst, and won't bash the BG like the maxed out sugary stuffs. I hope all goes well with them. :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Hi, I have never eaten a Carb Killa bar, but being coeliac, I sometimes buy Nine bars, it has nine seeds, no wheat or gluten and about 11 carbs per bar, I like the carob best. Maybe this could be an alternative bar for you ?

Reactions: Q007