Keeping BG steady

Abo2000

Hi all,

Fairly new diagnosis and I am on Lantus in the morning and NovoRapid for meals.

I was wondering whether after a meal I am supposed to see a big spike (15+ mmol/L) in blood sugar and then gradually go down over the next few hours or should I be aiming to inject and eat such that the combination of the two keeps blood glucose between 4-8/9?
And if so how should I do this? Should I inject a part before the meal and after?

Thank you!

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm 3 years in and still suffer with big spikes after some meals but if I take more insulin then I get awful hypos.

So I'm relatively low carb to reduce the amount of insulin on board and if I am having a carby meal then I take novorapid up to 30 mins before so it's in my system and working as my good digests.

Reactions: Abo2000

Abo2000

I'm 3 years in and still suffer with big spikes after some meals but if I take more insulin then I get awful hypos.

So I'm relatively low carb to reduce the amount of insulin on board and if I am having a carby meal then I take novorapid up to 30 mins before so it's in my system and working as my good digests.

Thank you! Are spikes okay though? Should I be trying to reduce them or will it not have any lasting effects if I keep having temporary spikes after meals?

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
You could try prebolusing part of the Novorapid 15-30 minute before you eat so it’s ready when the food digests. Do not forget to eat when you do this. High spikes really aren’t good for you but common when you first start out. Some people don’t care, but the latest info suggests it better not to do it a lot. It’s a matter of timing and getting to know what amounts you need with different foods. You generally aren’t likely to need to prebolus if it’s a high fat meal, because high fat delays carb absorption.

Edited by moderator so that the post complies with forum rules on giving advice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
It would be helpful to update your profile to show that you are T1.... as you have indicated in a previous post.