Keeping The Body Guessing

gettingamoveon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I feel I'm moving quite naturally towards 'one meal a day' in the early evening. Apart from that, I take just water or black coffee. I've heard a couple of people (I think Jason Fung, Caryn Zinn) mention the idea that if you get into too much of a routine, the body may adapt by lowering the metabolic rate. Jason Fung presents evidence to say that fasting, as opposed to, say, three smaller meals a day, doesn't have this effect, though I doubt that the evidence-base is very strong due to a lack of research. Caryn Zinn suggests that it may be an idea to 'keep the body guessing' a bit, by varying eating and fasting patterns (within the context of a low-carb diet) so that there isn't a normal, stable state for the body to adapt to.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas/experiences to share here, or can point towards any interesting research.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like what I do.. one or two meals a day usually dinner or lunch and dinner with sometimes lunch only. Also its a good idea to have the odd "feast" day where you show your body that you aren't calorie restricting.

Reactions: LalaALH

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
From my experience.

I find that after a period of a number of weeks mainly following an OMAD style routine, if I have a week or so of eating more frequently, as soon as I go back to the OMAD routine I will lose a few pounds quite quickly in the first week or two before settling down again.

I tend to vary between 160 and 168 llbs, and it seems to bear little relation to how much I eat.

Reactions: LalaALH and zand