Keeping track?

farheen123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there! I got diagnosed with t1d about 3 months or so ago and I'm glad that I'm much more aware and calm now. I thought I was doing good but I've slipped into bad eating habits again, not sugar but junk food and stuff and while I was browsing I figured and realized that I'd gone completely in denial, maybe because of the isolation with t1d where I live as well. Also I'm clinically depressed so maybe that messed up my mind.
Unfortunately I cant get a dexcom/ constant BGM where I live and I'm worried about not being able to keep track of how I actually feel and eating healthy to actually develop a better lifestyle. Any suggestions for how I could do this? Or how you manage it?

Sorry for the long rant, thanks!

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I manage it with diet. I have been steadily reducing carbs since diagnosis a little over a year ago and therefore keeping the amount of insulin I take as low as possible. Fewer carbs results in fewer hypers and hypos. My goal is to go keto eventually, however I find for myself I have to reduce the carbs gradually. It's not a question of will power. The consequences of poor BS management frighten me. Plus I'm not a food connoisseur, I just don't want to be hungry and it has never been a problem to change my food choices.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,
Are you in the UK? Dexcom has a criteria and it’s not offered routinely to everyone. Even more difficult because you are newly diagnosed.
Have you asked your team about a libre sensor? (That has a criteria too) Are you still testing your blood glucose despite eating badly, facing mental health issues and not feeling great?
We all manage by testing our BG levels, carb count and adjust our insulin for it - this you can ask your team for advice, also adjust insulin for planned activities, if it’s unplanned, carry extra carbs on you, have you asked your local GP for therapy?

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
You could try the old fashioned way - record readings, food, insulin and activity using a pen and paper.

Reactions: ChrissiStar

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Before I had the Libre sensor I tested between 10 and 15 times per day to get a good view on how diabetes worked and adjust my food or insulin.
It didn't work as good as the Libre but it worked pretty well too.

Reactions: ChrissiStar

Fndwheelie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If your someone who always has their phone to hand there are lots of free apps available for things like recording blood sugar finger prick tests, food diaries, mental well being, and exercise trackers. Have a look on you phones App Store to see what’s available.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I absolutely love my pump and CGM. But before them both I did just fine on shots! Once you find out your basal rate, which can really vary at the beginning, you learn to dose for the carbs you eat. Most type 1's don't have CGM's and Pumps. They are just one of the tools that make it easier. If you can get a CGM ever, go for it!

Just test and figure out the rates you need, it's a big learning curve at the beginning, but becomes second nature after a while!