Keto and weight loss

Mathewted

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I find that if I stick to approx 70 carbs per day, I maintain my weight and my blood sugar stays in range. The reason I won't increase the carbs is that I find my swings between spikes and crashes are too scary.
I hear you in the scary crashes.
When I'm on keto with no carbs I have almost flat line graphs so no probs at all. When not in keto I only eat essential fats and sparingly and end up with c.200g carbs a meal as the dosing is more accurate and the ratio improves meaning less insulin than otherwise.

To be fair I suspect with your experience - and perhaps there's not much 'new under the sun' if what you're doing suits you that may be your best option

Reactions: JAT1

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I'm on keto with no carbs I have almost flat line graphs so no probs at all. When not in keto I only eat essential fats and sparingly and end up with c.200g carbs a meal as the dosing is more accurate and the ratio improves meaning less insulin than otherwise.
Are you saying 200 grams of carbs per meal, so that's like 600 carbs a day? I had no choice but to eat a very high carb diet when I was in hospital last year for a month and afterwards it took me 3 months to break the carb habit and come down to where I am today (approx 70/day or less). My ratio when eating high carb is 1 unit insulin to 10 carbs. At 70carbs/day I'm at 1 insulin for approx 6.5 carbs and when I go down to less than 30carbs/day it's 1 insulin for 5 carbs. But I don't factor in the protein I eat, so I think this is the reason for my ratio differences.