Keto Diet as Type 1 Diabetic - Safe Keytone level?

Tijolo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I have been following a Keto diet for three weeks as a Type 1 Diabetic Vegan. I just tested my keytone level with Ketosticks sticks and it measured 4 (see attached, its fourth colour from the left).

I am confused as to when it is dangerous for me to do this. I have lost 4kg since I started and ketosix-and-testing-for-ketosis.jpg
feel Ok.

What advice is there for me and what do I need to be careful of? I am confused when keytones are good and when they are bad for diabetics? Help and advice much appreciated

Thanks

Paul

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Tijolo Why would you undertake a lifestyle/ dietary change without fully researching and understanding the affects and results it would have on you?
Ketosis . Ketoacidosis..
It may benefit you to research these two conditions.

Tijolo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Tijolo Why would you undertake a lifestyle/ dietary change without fully researching and understanding the affects and results it would have on you?
Ketosis . Ketoacidosis..
It may benefit you to research these two conditions.

Thank you, I did undertake research and advice and understand there is a difference between the two states. But, I am still not clear, despite my research and the information on here, how measuring the two differs. For instance, in one statement it advises a Keto Diet might be beneficial for Diabetics, then in another it states that Keytones above 1.5 are dangerous. So, I am asking for advice as to how the measurement method differs for Ketosis and Ketoacidosis?

My blood sugar levels have been very good throughout an average of 6.3 to 6.5, is that the sign I am safe from Ketoacidosis? I guess going from the research I can find (as in below) all is good?

"Diabetics who are losing weight will have often have low to moderate keytones which doesn’t increase your risk for diabetic ketoacidosis if your blood sugar is managed and within normal ranges. Your risk for DKA increases as your ketone levels rise and your blood sugar is above 250mg/dL (14 mmol/L). Blood ketone tests are the ideal method for diabetics to check ketone levels because they measure the levels of beta-hydroxybutyric acid, the primary ketone involved in ketoacidosis."

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, I did undertake research and advice and understand there is a difference between the two states. But, I am still not clear, despite my research and the information on here, how measuring the two differs. For instance, in one statement it advises a Keto Diet might be beneficial for Diabetics, then in another it states that Keytones above 1.5 are dangerous. So, I am asking for advice as to how the measurement method differs for Ketosis and Ketoacidosis?

My blood sugar levels have been very good throughout an average of 6.3 to 6.5, is that the sign I am safe from Ketoacidosis? I guess going from the research I can find (as in below) all is good?

"Diabetics who are losing weight will have often have low to moderate keytones which doesn’t increase your risk for diabetic ketoacidosis if your blood sugar is managed and within normal ranges. Your risk for DKA increases as your ketone levels rise and your blood sugar is above 250mg/dL (14 mmol/L). Blood ketone tests are the ideal method for diabetics to check ketone levels because they measure the levels of beta-hydroxybutyric acid, the primary ketone involved in ketoacidosis."

@Tijolo - I'm not T1, so please do do your own reading, but as I understand things, markedly elevated ketones plus high blood sugars tend to be when alarm bells start to ring. Otherwise it can indicate the individual might not be eating enough. What are your blood sugar with those ketone readings?

Please do read up on Ketoacidoses. There have been several threads on this forum similar to your own, so there may be some helpful stuff around here for you already.

Overall though, if you have concerns about please don't take unnecessary risks with your health. As I am sure you are aware ketoacidosis is a very serious condition indeed. It isn't the sort of thing to hope for the best with.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I’m T1 and eating keto as well. I have ketones in my urine but negative glucose. My BG is is normal range, and I feel great on it. Always interested to read other T1 folk’s experience of it.

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Tijolo

I'm Type 1 and on low carb diet with good control, my ketones (blood) are normally between 1.0 - 3.0mmol. Highest I've measured is 3.3mmol.

Your ketones are running a bit higher maybe because you are losing weight. "Nutritional ketosis is defined by serum ketones ranging from 0.5 up to 5 mmol" according to Dr Jeff Volek's book "the art and science of low carbohydrate living" <-- a very good book..