Keto diet

Wheyworh68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi. I wanted your opinions/experience of keto diets as I am about to start one. I am a long time type 2 diabetic who's now on multiple tablets plus insulin daily and I am desperate too change that. I know I have been living in denial but I now want to take control. Any advice and or stories be they success or not
Thanks in advance

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Be careful if drastically lowering carbs while on insulin - are you confident adjusting doses?
Tagging @bulkbiker @Goonergal for keto reviews

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the tag @Diakat

@Wheyworh68 as Diakat says, you do need to be careful if drastically reducing carbs whilst on insulin. Ideally you should have the support of your doctor/diabetes nurse so they can advise on adjusting doses and so on.

I have no experience of insulin but have eaten a Keto diet for about two and a half years now. It has been life changing for me. My diabetes is now under very good control - HbA1c at non-diabetic levels for 2 years; lifelong migraines vanished and lost a significant amount of weight. There is a short write up of my story here: https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/people/low-carb-keto-diet-weight-loss-reverse-diabetes/

I went cold turkey with carbs and found that a helpful approach. I did have a nasty dose of ‘carb flu’ (withdrawal symptoms) but as an all or nothing sort of person it was easier to go without totally than try and eat things in small quantities. I also made sure that I had plenty of the foods I did want to eat (including a few low carb snacks) in stock and got rid of things I wanted to stop eating. Planning and being prepared really helps at the start. Other than that I’d say make sure you eat things you like and that you make changes you’re likely to be able to sustain.

Shout if you have any questions and good luck!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can only re-iterate what @Goonergal has said above. Either get your doctor/DN on board or be very very careful with insulin doses and carefully monitor blood glucose when you are starting a keto diet. The last thing you want is to hypo.
It can have dramatic effects on lowering blood sugar.
I too am an all or nothing person so went for intermittent fasting and ultra low carb when I started on this journey and only took metformin for 3 weeks before ditching it due to multiple unpleasant side effects.
I think its a great idea but please be careful and if you aren't sure about adjusting insulin doses then at least consult with your HCP's even if they aren't supportive of what you want to do.
Good luck and keep in touch please.

saifo

Hi. I wanted your opinions/experience of keto diets as I am about to start one. I am a long time type 2 diabetic who's now on multiple tablets plus insulin daily and I am desperate too change that. I know I have been living in denial but I now want to take control. Any advice and or stories be they success or not
Thanks in advance

I’m in zero carb program dieting
I’m so happy with the results
I know 3 persons completely throughout the medicine and they are out of diabetic 2.

Reactions: 1spuds