Keto macros Help!!

jillsymes66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude ignorant people
Hi. I have been on the Ketogenic diet since 4th Jan and according to Ketostix my levels are moderate. I am staying around 27g carbs, 60g protein and 90g fat. I am logging everything I eat on myfitnesspal but am struggling to get sufficient calories, usually around 800, when their minimum is 1200 before going over on my carbs and protein. I am not feeling at all hungry on what I am eating, mainly meat n veg with a couple of fat bombs and some homemade keto granola plus the occasional protein shake.
I want to lose weight but the scales have ground to a halt. Am I eating enough? Any advice would be great. My bm readings are the best they have been since I first got diagnosed in 1992

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a very hard time getting enough calories. I’ve been some form of keto for over 25 years. My macros are 80% fat 15% P and 5% carbs. ( 20 total, not net)
I get my carbs from a whole avocado a day, nuts and a few random veggies.
My protein is set at 40 g.
No way can I eat all that fat to get to 1200 calories.
I add fat to my lunch and dinner which include avocado. Either butter or EVOO. I snack on pecans or macadamias. I have an ounce of cheese a day.
I’ve never needed lots of calories and I hate big meals so I snack all day.

I just look at it as there are many people who fast all day until dinner and only eat OMAD. I can’t imagine their eating 1200+ calories in one low carb meal.

I just listen to my body. If I’m hungry I’ll eat.

Last night I woke up wide awake so I had a bit of a nut butter gorge.

Reactions: jillsymes66

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Your ratios are wrong for keto. This will probably make it harder to find suitable foods, since a lot of the recommended foods have the RIGHT ratios.

Keto is about 70% fat, 20% protein, and 5% carbs. You're doing 50% fat, 34% protein, and 15% carbs.

For an intake of 1200 calories per day (which seems FAR TOO LOW to me), you'd need to be taking about 15g of carbs, 60g of protein, and 93g of fat per day. That works out at 5g carbs, 20g protein, and 31g of fat per meal.

Consider doing something more like 1500 calories per day, which would be more like 6g carbs, 25g protein, 39g fat per meal. You should work out a realistic calorie intake based on your height, BMI, and exercise level, though, then adjust these numbers accordingly.

If you're finding it THAT hard, just buy keto fuel. It's like a protein shake, but is a complete meal replacement in itself, with all the right proportions of nutrients for keto. You just add water, and oil according to how many calories you need. The vanilla flavor tastes great. Chocolate isn't bad either. Never tried the cinnamon flavor, but people say it's great too.
Are you replying to me or the OP?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I just did my basic always everyday macros.
C = 20 total, not net Calories 80
P = mostly 41. Calories = 164
F= 93 Calories 837

Total 1081

This does not include extra nuts, cheeses mayo butter. So I’m sure I’m over 1200

Macros are c/ 7%. P/ 15% and fat 77%.

When I doneat more it’s always fat and smaller amounts now of protein in cheese and nuts.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
good. I deleted a response to you lol I know my keto. And Kerry gold is easy to fit in.

jillsymes66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude ignorant people
Ive chaned to 5% carbs, 15% protein and 80% fat but I'm still struggling with eating all that fat. I tried taking a spoon of mct oil and was so sick i thought i was going to pass out. I shall try making fat bombs and keep my protein grams down. On the plus side i have been logging all my blood sugar readings into Mysugr and i only needed 1 unit of novarapid today. Im going to need to reduce my Lantus next. Thanks for the advice guys.