keto meal example?

ruford

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
is this what they mean when they say keto?

B
2 eggs 1 carb
fried in butter 0 grams carbs

S
1 oz almonds 3 grams carbs

L
5 oz chicken 0 carbs
2 oz pecans 4 carbs

s
2 oz cheese 2 carbs

D
5 oz ground beef 0 carbs
2 oz walnuts 2 grams carbs
1/2 cup brussel sprouts 5 grams carbs

s
2 oz cheese 2 grams carbs

19 grams total

Reactions: Tempus fugit 78

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Kind of although most keto dieters don't snack and quite a few don't eat three meals a day...
I'm guessing that as you are in Canada those are total carbs?
In the UK our measurements are usually net so depending on how low you want to go I try for less than 20 net carbs a day but am usually lower.
Hope that helps

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Keto is any way of eating (or not eating) that means the body switches from glucose burning to fat burning. And that usually happens for people when they eat somewhere below 50g carbs a day.

However, it is worth bearing in mind, that protein can be converted to glucose by the body, via a process called gluconeogenesis. This happens if we eat more protein than we need to use for protein-purposes, then the spare will be broken down and may release glucose via gluconeogenesis.

I don't know your height, weight and activity levels, so i can't say how much protein you need - but there are lots of protein calculators online, where you can check if you want. For me, the amount of protein on that menu would be high enough to prevent ketosis, and the small amount of veg would leave me constipated.

Doesn't mean that will happen to you, since we are all different, but it might be worth you doing a bit of trial and error to see how your body handles more or less of the different macronutrients. But a ketogenic diet isnt a high protein diet.

Are you testing for ketones?

If you want a programme of really delicious, varied, interesting meals, then have a look at the 2 week Keto Challenge, on the www.dietdoctor.com website. It demonstrates just how high we can go on the fat, rather than the protein.

Hope that helps.

BarbaraG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Here's what I've eaten today.

No breakfast. Several cups of tea or coffee during the morning - the ones at home were with almond milk, the ones I had put were with whatever milk they offered me, most likely semi-skimmed.

Lunch was 3 strips streaky bacon, fried in butter, a fried button mushroom, about 1.5 eggs, scrambled (I did 4, but gave OH more than me, because he doesn't like) and half an avocado. I then had a small piece of Wensleydale cheese and a few mixed nuts, and a coffee with double cream

Evening meal - spaghetti bolognese (sauce made with 18% fat beef mince, onions fried in lard and added chorizo), but my 'spaghetti' was konjac noodles, which have hardly any carbs in, served with Parmesan cheese. Then some mixed berries with a dollop of mascarpone and another of double thick cream, a coffee with cream, and 2 squares 85% Lindt chocolate.

I am in ketosis.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
is this what they mean when they say keto?

B
2 eggs 1 carb
fried in butter 0 grams carbs

S
1 oz almonds 3 grams carbs

L
5 oz chicken 0 carbs
2 oz pecans 4 carbs

s
2 oz cheese 2 carbs

D
5 oz ground beef 0 carbs
2 oz walnuts 2 grams carbs
1/2 cup brussel sprouts 5 grams carbs

s
2 oz cheese 2 grams carbs

19 grams total

Hi there. Whilst that day plan is certainly pretty low carb, probably keto, it isn't a lot of food. Can you survive and thrive on that amount of food?

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi there I generally have 2 sticks of pepperoni when I get up to head off the DP. I have 2 actual meals usually in a day. One meal will be a large mixed green salad with mayo and some kind of protein such as leftover cooked chicken or a bit of ham. The other meal is whatever meat and veg the family are having minus the carb. So I would have, for example, a pork chop and some brussel sprouts but not the potato. If they are having a carby casserole, I will have an omelette or bacon and eggs. I tend towards sunflower seeds for a snack. I am almost always under 20 gram carb per day and I am in ketosis as checked with a blood ketone meter daily.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I eat avocado at every meal. Lunch and dinner are a few ounces protein ( typically 1.5 lunch and 2.5 dinner). I gluconeogenisis almost as fast as carbs. Carbs for me are always under 20. I eat basically the same size meals everyday

Bf is avocado with basil, tiny onion bits and eaten with celery

Lunch is avocado and some sort of protein sometimes with mayo or sometimes just squished in the guacamole. Celery radish and onion

Dinner is some protein, avocado and salad.

I steam some asparagus and sometimes Brussels sprouts and eat them throughout the day as a snack. Sometimes I dip them in mayo.

Other snacks are 2 or 3 nuts, pinch of pumpkin seeds or a few olives.

As @Brunneria said, protein is another element to keto. The idea of keto is to keep insulin low and protein spikes insulin almost as much as carbs

So....vlc, MODERATE protein and just enough healthy fat to satisfy.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would just like to say as a proviso that not everyone spikes through excess protein.. although it can happen. Someone on the ketogenic forums has just done a one month steak challenge and has only eaten fatty steak for a month and has remained in ketosis throughout. Please be careful about making blanket statements when in fact it refers to your own experience.. this does not make it a universal truth.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I would just like to say as a proviso that not everyone spikes through excess protein.. although it can happen. Someone on the ketogenic forums has just done a one month steak challenge and has only eaten fatty steak for a month and has remained in ketosis throughout. Please be careful about making blanket statements when in fact it refers to your own experience.. this does not make it a universal truth.
That's not my intention. It's the reading of the keto diet rules. You are correct. Not everyone spikes but the outline I supplied was found in literature, not from my experience though it is my experience thanks to the outline. We all have our own tolerances and other than suggesting vlc, MODERATE protein and healthy fats I gave no suggested measurements. Just my own meal examples as was the ops question. . Never suggested to eat like me either