Keto meter benefit?

johnme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can anyone point to further benefits to be gained by more accurate ketone measurements? I’ve toyed with the idea of getting a meter, but then I think, ‘You’re on a low carb diet, the test strips say you’re keto, stop worrying.’ Is there an advantage to being further in keto? My test strips vary between ‘middle’ and ‘strong’ (I translate, the box is in French). Thanks

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Can anyone point to further benefits to be gained by more accurate ketone measurements? I’ve toyed with the idea of getting a meter, but then I think, ‘You’re on a low carb diet, the test strips say you’re keto, stop worrying.’ Is there an advantage to being further in keto? My test strips vary between ‘middle’ and ‘strong’ (I translate, the box is in French). Thanks

As a T1, who is theoretically at risk of DKA (never had it in 51 years), my doctor prescribes me a packet of 10 every 3 months....
They are very expensive. Unless you've got money to burn, I'd go for the urine strips.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I guess you are talking about urine test strips?
They have been known to become irrelevant over time as the body becomes more efficient at using ketones and so wastes a lot less.

If you really want to measure then blood ketone levels are probably the way to go. However, its expensive and providing you are eating few carbs you're highly likely in ketosis anyway.

I rarely test these days although still do use ketone strips sometimes.
If you can afford them and are a bit of a data nerd like me then why not!

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My meter at the time did not do ketone measurements, but my diabetes T2D went haywire, and suddenly my meter was shouting KETONES at me. seems any bgl level over 32 mmol/l triggered this as a warning, but i had no means of checking it. My current meter merely greets me with a HI if I get a high reading. . Haven;t seen many of those since i went low carb.
I could feed it ketone strips, but not too bothered nowadays. Still got the freebie ketone strips that came with the meter.