Keto - not hungry but never satiated

Terroirgael

Guys,
I’d like to have your opinion about an issue I am facing.
I am on a keto diet for 9 weeks with great results on my general hunger.
I don’t need to crave food at all during my 2 daily meals.
Though, once I start eating I don’t feel satiated, I tend to overeat quite a bit.
I can easily eat close to 2800 Kcal per meal, whereas I should consume 2000Kcal per day.
Did you experience similar issues?
If so, how did you go over it?

Thanks

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you need to lose weight? Or are you gaining more weight than you would like?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It started happening since I startd Keto and cut Carbs

So, if satiety is an issue, are you eating enough fat? That can definitely help with satiety.

Personally in terms of managing appetite, I’ve found that what I eat is really important and so is when I eat. So for me, ruminant meat, and especially fatty cuts of it, fill me up really quickly, prevent cravings and do great things for weight/body composition.

In contrast, while I enjoy chicken and pork I can easily over eat it.

I do much better eating in a very narrow window between about 2 and 5pm. That might be 2 meals or one larger one depending on circumstances. If I start eating in the morning - no matter what I eat - I want to keep going all day.

It really is a matter of trial and error to see what works for you. However, so long as you’re eating things that have a positive impact on your blood sugars, you’ll be making progress and other things should fall into place with a bit of tweaking here and there.

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, For me, I only look at carbs, I don’t look at calories or portion size, I purposely eat a lot so I’m not hungry, I’m currently being good, during my work day I will go to Tesco hot food counter and buy eight chicken pieces, I can’t really manage eight, four is perfect but I pig out, just so I won’t fancy snacking before my evening meal, snacking would likely mean chocolate bar from petrol station so better to not want to do that by eating plenty of the good stuff. That’s just my angle,

Well done for your efforts, keep going!

Reactions: Lainie71 and yani5

Terroirgael

So, if satiety is an issue, are you eating enough fat? That can definitely help with satiety.

Personally in terms of managing appetite, I’ve found that what I eat is really important and so is when I eat. So for me, ruminant meat, and especially fatty cuts of it, fill me up really quickly, prevent cravings and do great things for weight/body composition.

In contrast, while I enjoy chicken and pork I can easily over eat it.

I do much better eating in a very narrow window between about 2 and 5pm. That might be 2 meals or one larger one depending on circumstances. If I start eating in the morning - no matter what I eat - I want to keep going all day.

It really is a matter of trial and error to see what works for you. However, so long as you’re eating things that have a positive impact on your blood sugars, you’ll be making progress and other things should fall into place with a bit of tweaking here and there.

Dear,

Let me first thank you for taking time to answer me.

I am eating 65% fat, 25% prot and 10% carbs. I was eating more fat at the beginning but I noticed that increasing my prot from 20 to 25% helped, even if it’s not completely under control yet.

I feel that the struggle might come from the fact I don’t end my meal with a carb part. I used to take a carb desert (no sugar) and that message is no longer sent to my brain.

I believe I eat enough in general and as mentioned I mostly eat too much for now :)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you aren't overweight I don't see anything wrong in having 2800 calories daily. Maybe that's the amount you personally need? The recommended intakes are only a guide and perhaps your metabolism is particularly good?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I feel that the struggle might come from the fact I don’t end my meal with a carb part. I used to take a carb desert (no sugar) and that message is no longer sent to my brain.
That’s quite common. It’s why I asked whether this was a new issue.

You could try having something like plain Greek yoghurt and a few raspberries at the end of a meal - might hit the spot.

Without wanting to make too many assumptions, you might find this website and the book with the same name by Dr Jen Unwin very helpful: https://forkintheroad.co.uk/

Reactions: TriciaWs

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find that i don't feel full until 3 or even 4 hours after a meal.
I used to be one of those always looking for more food 2 hours after a meal.
Now that I low carb and restrict time eating I have my evening meal at 6 but quite often feel very full about 9:30 to 10 o'clock,
Today I had lunch at 1:30 and now at 4:30 i feel very full

I've no idea if this is common, or if it could be part of your problem, but I've had to learn to stop eating based on sight and portions rather than satiety or feeling full.

Several Hormones play a role here, leptin and ghrelin. I wish I understood more

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dear,

Let me first thank you for taking time to answer me.

I am eating 65% fat, 25% prot and 10% carbs. I was eating more fat at the beginning but I noticed that increasing my prot from 20 to 25% helped, even if it’s not completely under control yet.

I believe I eat enough in general and as mentioned I mostly eat too much for now :)

If you are eating 2,800 cals at 10% carbs that's 280 cals from carbs or 70g of carbs.

I'd suggest that ketosis could be quite hard eating that many carbs which may be why you are having hunger issues?

Terroirgael

If you are eating 2,800 cals at 10% carbs that's 280 cals from carbs or 70g of carbs.

I'd suggest that ketosis could be quite hard eating that many carbs which may be why you are having hunger issues?

Thanks for answering.

You are correct, I am roughly at 70g carbs and just below 50g net carbs.

But honestly I don’t get how to go lower as by eating green leaves vegetables in good quantity, I am always around these numbers.

I am tracking my macro and I can share an excel to show you.

I would be interested to see an example of a meal plan of yours

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would be interested to see an example of a meal plan of yours
That's pretty easy.
Meat maybe some mushrooms.

Tonight for example rib eye steak with mushrooms cooked in butter.
Yesterday was chicken yakitori, homemade sauce with some avocado.
Day before sausages (high meat content, bacon and eggs (cooked in butter)

Did you get the greenery idea from Dr Berg? Completely unnecessary.

DM123@

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That’s quite common. It’s why I asked whether this was a new issue.

You could try having something like plain Greek yoghurt and a few raspberries at the end of a meal - might hit the spot.

Without wanting to make too many assumptions, you might find this website and the book with the same name by Dr Jen Unwin very helpful: https://forkintheroad.co.uk/
And just a few, I had Greek yogurt with ALOT of raspberries blackberrys and blueberries last night and my bloods shot to 8s and didn't come down for hours.

Reactions: Southbeds