Ketoadaptation

Linagirl

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
So today my keto sticks arrived and I thought I might have high levels and was worried about it so I measured and guess what nada! My food today was a nine bar for breakfast no spike after it. Mid morning some salmon flakes lunch was chicken liver pate and four gluten free crackers 12g carbs then afternoon I had a coconut yoghurt. I also had 2 squares of dark chocolate. Two sausages at six and out for dinner tonight in about ten mins!

Yesterday was nine bar breakfast followed by lunch of prawns and ham egg salad and afternoon a coconut yoghurt and tea last night two eggs scrambled gluten free toast fresh raspberries and some Greek yoghurt!

What am i doing wrong x

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Probably the combination of protein and carbs. You need to be about 80% fat, 15% protein and 5% carbs sat the most, and this looks to be higher in carbs and protein together than that.

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yeah, I agree with Tim, you need to adjust your intake a little.
Brun will have more of an idea, what's best.

Linagirl

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Brun any thoughts on this I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong x

Linagirl

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Not clear on how to get this much fat into my diet particularly given that I am trying to reduce dairy? Nosher how do you do it? X

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you read the article? Because it kind of says that being in ketosis is irrelevant.

For me, the key thing is:

- are you having rh hypos? (No? Then your carb levels are low enough, or you are eating the right kinds of carbs)
- do you have enough stamina for the day? (Yes? Then your fat adapted enough to run on it)
- gaining weight? (Then your intake is too high for your body/hormone combo)
- losing weight (in deficit for your body/hormone combo)
- feeling heavy and claggy? (If so, that is probably too much protein)

As you can probably tell, i am rather resistant to this 80:15:5 fat/protein/carb Thing.

I suspect it is because i evolved my thinking long before MyFitnessPal arrived, and because i grew up in a family where calculating precise food intake and obsessing about getting it right was a sign of an eating disorder.

So, I'm a bit resistant.

I know you have other health issues that could be muddying the water, but I suppose I'm saying that it is more about what works for you, than a result on a pee stick. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 9 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Not clear on how to get this much fat into my diet particularly given that I am trying to reduce dairy? Nosher how do you do it? X

I think I eat a lot of protein and the fat that comes with it.
I only have full fat yoghurt either in morning or last meal. Can't have other dairy, yuk!
I have said before that I don't count stuff or test for wether I am in ketosis, I still do my bloods, but as Brun has said, if you feel good and your bloods are in control, then you should be happy not spiking and not going hypo!
I don't do a lot of carbs at all, only ones natural in veg or protein, but I eat a lot of eggs and use mainly animal fats.
I don't take supplements, don't need them.
Don't worry about not getting it right, you still are in the transition stage and still getting to grips with learning how to treat the condition. That might sound awful, anxiety makes things worse and makes you over think things, Why be anxious fretting about if you are getting things too right?
Just keep experimenting and if you are feeling better, then something you are doing is actually helping you.
I know I have got control and from that I know I'm getting my health a lot better than it was.
You are gaining knowledge, just be positive about how to apply it to yourself, we all have bad days!

Linagirl

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
I couldn't get the link to the article to work sadly.

I am definitely feeling better and as I am seeing the endo on 18th I am going to start a strict food and blood sugar diary from tomorrow.

I'm not worried about my condition I just was convinced I was in ketosis and wanted to check. Clearly I wasn't. I do want to lose weight though and keep plateauing so I also wanted to check from that point of view.

Thanks for help.

Emma x

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:) Glad to help.
Why not cut and paste the link into your browser? It is a great read. Very useful, and I'm looking forward to the rest in the series. Am learning a lot.