Ketogenic Diet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
A colleague of mine recommended I go on a Ketogenic Diet it's a Low-Carb, High Fat diet, does anyone know anything about this diet? Or have you been on this diet yourself? Just wonder if it is good for Diabetics.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Look a bit further down the front page 56'

upload_2017-9-24_18-32-20.png

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes it's great (in my opinion). Started LCHF and after 12 months am now fully keto.
Stats are in my signature. There are thousands, maybe millions, of people following this way of eating to control their Type 2 and to help manage Type 1 as well.
Why not give it a three month trial and see if it works for you?

Reactions: dbr10

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Best diet ever IMO even as a type 1. Type two the only thing that worked. Been doing it 25+ years even pre DX.

Are you on insulin? I needed to greatly reduce it

Merryheart

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have had some success on this diet and have reduced my A1C to normal, and I got rid of my insulin and jardiance and I now only take Metformin. It reduces your cravings for sweets and starch but you don't feel deprived because you get enough calories, but it is a very limited diet especially if you don't eat meat like me. There is so much info on the net that it can be very confusing diet to follow but it definately worth the effort

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It works well for me - I've lost weight, brought down glucose levels to low pre diabetic/just on normal levels and have kept them there for over 3 years. I no longer take metformin or several of my other (non diabetic) meds and it's also helped with other non diabetic issues such as life long chronic migraines.

Robbity

PS And it was first used as a diabetic treatment well over 200 years ago... :D:D

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have had some success on this diet and have reduced my A1C to normal, and I got rid of my insulin and jardiance and I now only take Metformin. It reduces your cravings for sweets and starch but you don't feel deprived because you get enough calories, but it is a very limited diet especially if you don't eat meat like me. There is so much info on the net that it can be very confusing diet to follow but it definately worth the effort
Merryheart, like you I don't eat meat, though I do eat some fish, and I am struggling. Any suggestions / encouragement welcome!