Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude People.
Animal Cruelty.
Unnecessary Drama.
Hey everyone, just wondering if these are still the right guides for ketones?
20200726_121729.jpg

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There is lots of different advice on the internet about this. Nutritional ketosis, which means we are using fat for energy, is at 0.5-1.5. People trying to lose weight for who eat ketogenically aim for this range. They are healthy levels. I get frustrated if my ketones fall below 1. Ketones shouldn't go over 3.0, though. If there is lack of insulin, ketones can go up fast and illness can aggravate it. I would want to know why if ketones went over 3.

Measuring ketones
  • Below 0.5 mmol/L is not considered “ketosis”. At this level, you're likely not in your fat-burning zone. ...
  • Between 0.5-3.0 mmol/L is nutritional ketosis. ...
  • Around 1.5 – 3 mmol/L is what's called “optimal ketosis” for some. ...
  • Values of over 3 mmol/L aren't necessary.
Mar 13, 2013

Lose weight by achieving optimal ketosis - Diet Doctor
www.dietdoctor.com › lose-weight-by-achieving-optim..

(edited by mod)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Peppergirl

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This is what the NHS website says

If you do a blood ketone test:
  • lower than 0.6mmol/L is a normal reading
  • 0.6 to 1.5mmol/L means you're at a slightly increased risk of DKA and you should test again in 2 hours
  • 1.6 to 2.9mmol/L means you're at an increased risk of DKA and should contact your diabetes team or GP as soon as possible
  • 3mmol/L or above means you have a very high risk of DKA and should get medical help immediately

(https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/diabetic-ketoacidosis/)

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The relevant additional part to the part from @sleepster which puts the comments from @MarkMunday in context is
If your blood sugar level is 11mmol/L or above, and you have a blood or urine ketone testing kit, check your ketone level.
In other words, high ketone alone are not the problem for people with diabetes, it is high ketone AND high blood sugars that are a problem.
Ah yes, I should have included that part, sorry :bag:

Reactions: In Response