ketone question

Stevia_queen

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I was told I was pre diabetic a year ago, HAbC1 6.4.
now bg between 4.2 - 5.5
est HAbC1 5.2
i entered ketosis a few times (came out of ketosis with a few carb binges) back in again now at ketones of 5mmol
a few weeks ago it rose to 80 mmol for a few weeks.
my question is i am concerned that this is not good for me and i am not creating enough insulin still.
I do intermittent fasting and keep my carbs to under 10 - 20 grams a day
after excursive in the morning before i eat my blood sugar rises from 4.5 fasting to 6.3! then back to about 5.5 after 30 mins and a coffee with cream and erythritol. I also drinks glass hibiscus tea every day to lower cholesterol and BS. (i have not had any cholesterol readings for a year)

Im confused about this because the low carb app i downloaded won't let me input anything higher than 3.5. why?
I feel better for it, more energy, better moods, no ibs, lower bs readings, reverse pre diabetes etc.

1. i would like to know how to control my insulin levels for excerise routines rather than having spikes when i eat no carbs.
2. I notice if i eat carbs for more than a day i put on weight rapidly (5lbs in 2 days) I also lose 5lbs in 2 days when i go back on low carb.
3. I'm concerned that when i start to introduce more carbs my fats cells will double in shock. (thats what it feels like and i want to know if fat cells have a memory)

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
you are doing amazingly, what a fantastic progress... the number of fat cell does not doubble that easy, usually people only fill up the ones they have untill totally expanded... actually we do not loose our fatcell when we loose weight ... so therefor people that have been obese do become obese much easier than people who never were..

your numbers are like totally normal levels , so if you can tolerate a little more carbs daily I don´t thin you´ll have any trouble concerning fat...

but you just keep an eye on your weight... most can tolerate 100-150 grams of carbs a day without storing excessive levels of fats.

if you do the intermittent fasting (which lower insuline levels)where you don´t eat after 19 o´clock in the evening and maybe also quit breakfast except from maybe coffee with cream like you do now, then it is really unlikely that you´ll gain weight again if you just eat in a normal way the rest of the day... of cause binging in chips and sweets can change the picture easily so avoid doing that more than maybe once a month... write in the calender when you sin.... so you know when you can afford that again

avoiding raising insuline levels is most easily avoided by never eating more than 20-30 grams of carbs at a time.... but try to measure your blood glucose regulary before you eat the stuff and 1 hour after ...

if you dont have a meter then buy one anyways...

Stevia_queen

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Freema thanks you for your response and encouragement. Its been a struggle! specially since i lapse for 3 months during winter and put almost all the weight back on lo.
my target is to lose 5 stone.
I do have a meter and have been checking bloods since April 2016 when i wa warned about my BS by GP.
Its expensive as i am pre diabetic and don't get any prescriptions. i try to take 1-4 reads daily. so it adds up.
I use a gre eat app called Diabetes M on android which tracks my bg and metabolic rates as well as carb intake calories ketones weight etc etc. it really has educated me on what makes me spike etc.

I am confused about the insulin levels. I do intermittent fasting not eating from 8pm till 12am although i do have coffee with cream first thing. I also smoke which apparently cigs have sugar in them. (that will be my next target once i lose weight) If this lowers my insulin levels surely this is not good?

I will start introducing carbs again once i have lost a few stone and am in deeper ketosis and excersizing to maybe 30 - 50grams a day.

Lunch/breakfast around 11am to midday. eggs and mushrooms and bacon, or onion mushroom cheese omelette,
Dinner around 5pm - meat: organic mince with home made tomato sauce and lots of cheese. Tunamayo salad or eggplant parmigiana minus the cheese sauce, cauliflower cheese etc
sometimes i just snack 4 times a day mozzarella or meatballs with cucumber tomatoes etc.
I tend to stick to foods I'm used to so i always know what I'm dealing with.
the only carbs i have are the ones found in the eggs cheese and veg i eat. some nuts each day
I might snack at 8pm with some cheese or nuts or cold cuts. recently try to just have spoon full of coconut oil instead to reduce the liver dump at night ad raised BS in am.

* Don't i want to increase my insulin levels so my pancreas can manage blood sugars properly Is this right am I confused?
* also this intermittent fasting and eating more good fat worries me. regarding cholesterol. and a yoyo of eating not eating for long periods of time. all the Keto experts say it is good for u.
* I am on a ketosis diet and am trying to stick to 65% fats 25% protein and 5 % carbs but i find eating more fat v difficult. they say this helps u lose weight by going deeper into ketosis.

* Is ketosis really healthy? I'm trying to future proof myself ( I worry about these types of diets being a way for the food industry to sell more meat etc…)

* My main concern is that i don't lose weight at all unless I'm in ketosis. (this is whilst i am not exercising. once i exercise more the weight drops off (it did last year).

sorry for the long winded ….

Stevia_queen

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Oh and i also spike form 5.2 - 6.3 after a strong walk
(I'm building up my fitness after abad hibernation winter)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As you are not diabetic then you probably have plenty of insulin, just your cells are resistant to it.
I also put on weight very easily - and even when younger I could not eat over 80 gm of carbs per day and maintain weight even with daily exercise.
I have been told that I can't possibly be so sensitive to carb levels - many people have told me - but it is what happens.

Reactions: Stevia_queen

Stevia_queen

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
As you are not diabetic then you probably have plenty of insulin, just your cells are resistant to it.
I also put on weight very easily - and even when younger I could not eat over 80 gm of carbs per day and maintain weight even with daily exercise.
I have been told that I can't possibly be so sensitive to carb levels - many people have told me - but it is what happens.
Im told so many years of carb heavy eating will mess up yr metabolic rate. mine according to my app readings are stable and high when in ketosis. soon as i have more than 100grams of carbs the reading spike . I think its much harder for obese people to decrease their insulin resistance.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had to eat far fewer than 100gm of carb to make any progress, and now eat to my meter, about 60 gm of carbs, dipping down lower for a couple of days at a time - I have even tried fasting, but found that raised BG levels.

Reactions: Stevia_queen

Stevia_queen

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
ok so i have an update
3.9 fasting! 3.9 - 5.5 !
Ive been doing intermittent fasting this week, 23/1 = 23 hours nil by mouth 1 hour window to eat what i want (ketogenic compliant)
After 3 months on a low carb diet and last 1 month under 20grams of carb a day
and the last 2 weeks in deep ketosis. 40+ ketone mmols
If i drink enough water with electrolytes (magnesium, potassium and trace minerals) take some coconut oil I don't feel dizzy, (went for a 2 hr brisk walk today and yesterday for first time in 6 months)
  • I've lost 9 kilos, 3 inches of my waist hips and bum( down a dress size)
  • I have more energy, even the dip i used to have in the afternoon doesn't make me want sleep standing up like it used too i don't have a nap.
  • regular 6-7 hours sleep no night wake ups. no dawn phenomenon
  • feel happier
  • obvs feel lighter
  • less bone and body aches

Last edited:
Reactions: grante

Stevia_queen

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
some info on a Low carb high fat weekly meal plan ideas
18222364_10103138984701463_6716514088993777024_n.jpg

Stevia_queen

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
you are doing amazingly, what a fantastic progress... the number of fat cell does not doubble that easy, usually people only fill up the ones they have untill totally expanded... actually we do not loose our fatcell when we loose weight ... so therefor people that have been obese do become obese much easier than people who never were..

your numbers are like totally normal levels , so if you can tolerate a little more carbs daily I don´t thin you´ll have any trouble concerning fat...

but you just keep an eye on your weight... most can tolerate 100-150 grams of carbs a day without storing excessive levels of fats.

if you do the intermittent fasting (which lower insuline levels)where you don´t eat after 19 o´clock in the evening and maybe also quit breakfast except from maybe coffee with cream like you do now, then it is really unlikely that you´ll gain weight again if you just eat in a normal way the rest of the day... of cause binging in chips and sweets can change the picture easily so avoid doing that more than maybe once a month... write in the calender when you sin.... so you know when you can afford that again

avoiding raising insuline levels is most easily avoided by never eating more than 20-30 grams of carbs at a time.... but try to measure your blood glucose regulary before you eat the stuff and 1 hour after ...

if you dont have a meter then buy one anyways...
I saw the guys video about intermittent fasting at it really shed some light on our natural need to break fast in the morning. biologically inbuilt into us. I've started doing this instead of finishing in evening.