Ketone Testing Meters

Anson

Hello
1.Does anyone have recommendations for a meter that tests ketones,please.
I can't decide On Call GK Dual VS Caresens Dual?
What are the good and bad points in between this two meter?
2. Any recommendations for Keto breath meter?
Anyone using " KETONIX"?
I've look at the review but they are not really reliable and expensive.

Many thanks

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use caresens dual.

I only found out recently that being in ketosis can cause you to fail a breathalyser. Personally I don't use the keto breath meter. I don't currently drive either. If I did and was stopped, I would ask for a blood test.

Anson

The reason why i looking Keto breath meter,because i want to check my body is actually burning the fat.;);)

FranceBrun

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been using the urine test strips. They are cheap and I have no reason to think they are not reliable. I am sure the meter is better but you can't bear them when it comes to price.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The problem with using urine test strips is that they test the waste ketones that you are weeing out. Once you are actually using those ketones (i.e. burning fat) you may find as I did that the test strips stop registering anything. They are generally considered to be the least reliable option, breathalysers such as the Ketonix are more reliable, but if you can afford the test strips then testing blood ketones using a meter is the most accurate method.

I've also used the original/early basic version of the Ketonix, which was much cheaper then than they are now. It basically uses a a coloured "traffic lights" system to check acetone levels in your breath, and has been accurate enough for what I wanted, and it's lasted me for six years for an initial one-off cost of £75 if I remember correctly! But I would definitely think twice about buying one of the current sophisticated models because of high initial costs. I've also more recently used the Libre reader that came as part of the kit with my original sensors, as it's a dual glucose and ketone monitor.

But you don't necessarily need any of these to check if you're burning fat, sometimes you can actually taste or smell "ketone breath", and you certainly should feel far less hungry and be able to go much longer without meals or snacking, have more energy and more mental clarity... All benefits that tend to be associated with a low carb diet anyway.

Flora123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use the On Call one. I find it excellent and does everything I want it to.