Ketones, advice please

SianyG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi iv just tested my sugars and they are high, so I tested for ketones which are 1.6 do I need to ring for advice or if I drink plenty will they go by themselves? This is the first time iv had high ketones so I’m unsure and don’t want to cause a fuss thanks in advance.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @SianyG, I hope you are not feeling too unwell. Not fun being there!!
Good on you for posting and checking BSLs and ketone levels !!
As a T1D, not as professional advice or opinion:
1) The accompanying graph , posted by someone a while back, is really useful, shows you where your ketone level is. in the scheme of things
2) Do you have a 'sick day plan', one made with your DSN or doctor?
For example mine (and yours could be quite different) is:
a) Ring DSN or doctor to discuss and work through a list to check off and discuss: (including HOW much insulin, which insulin, how often etc)
b) reasons for this high BSL and ketones:
(i) illness - flu, urine infection (not always symptoms), tooth problem etc
---> need more insulin and some carbs and medical review
(ii) other - vaccination, monthly cycle (not me personally but in there for completeness sake),
stress/worry, (?? rebound after severe hypo) ---> insulin/some carbs
(iii) food: excessive eating and then fasting overnight ---> insulin and ? how much carbs
(iv) insulin: in date, not been frozen or kept over 30 degrees C ---> replace insulin, may need new script filled a.s.a.p.
(v) insulin delivery: missed doses, no leaking penfill ampoule?, pen plunger not advancing the rubber stopper?, injection into scar tissue?, pump not delivering insulin ? battery ? software? ?, blocked cannula --> check and replace faulty equipment if possible, re-inject in new site, change cannula , revert to mdi
c) review results over 2 hours depending on ketone level done hourly - discuss with DSN/doctor or medical advisory service
d) consider injecting small doses of short-acting insulin ( I have the syringe and longer needle + the expertise) sometimes the DSN/Dr/Advisor might suggest small regular doses of intramuscular insulin)
d) ketones still rising, bsl not settling ---> call ambulance (Better to be Safe than Sorry)
e) extreme ketones with high BSL at anytime --.> ambulance a.s.a.p.

I really hope that things settle quickly and easily for you. Your health team is your best ally in this.:):):)
IMG_4108.jpg

SianyG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
1) The accompanying graph , posted by someone a while back, is really useful, shows you where your ketone level is. in the scheme of things
a) Ring DSN or doctor to discuss and work through a list to check off and discuss: (including HOW much insulin, which insulin, how often etc)
(ii) other - vaccination, monthly cycle (not me personally but in there for completeness sake),
(iii) food: excessive eating and then fasting overnight ---> insulin and ? how much carbs
(iv) insulin: in date, not been frozen or kept over 30 degrees C ---> replace insulin, may need new script filled a.s.a.p.
(v) insulin delivery: missed doses, no leaking penfill ampoule?, pen plunger not advancing the rubber stopper?, injection into scar tissue?, pump not delivering insulin ? battery ? software? ?, blocked cannula --> check and replace faulty equipment if possible, re-inject in new site, change cannula , revert to mdi
c) review results over 2 hours depending on ketone level done hourly - discuss with DSN/doctor or medical advisory service
d) consider injecting small doses of short-acting insulin ( I have the syringe and longer needle + the expertise) sometimes the DSN/Dr/Advisor might suggest small regular doses of intramuscular insulin)
d) ketones still rising, bsl not settling ---> call ambulance (Better to be Safe than Sorry)

I really hope that things settle quickly and easily for you. Your health team is your best ally in this.:):):)
View attachment 31300

View attachment 31300

Thank you, I don’t feel un well at all. I feel fine, iv never had high ketones before, not even when I got diagnosed 2 years ago. The issue I have is that I don’t have any more ketone strips left to test later on, but iv been drinking so I hope it sorts itself out

SianyG

Type of diabetes
Type 1

View attachment 31300

Also I don’t have much support from my diabetic team, I fact iv only seen them once since I was diagnosed. I don’t have a sick day plan ect ‍♀️

evilclive

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also I don’t have much support from my diabetic team, I fact iv only seen them once since I was diagnosed. I don’t have a sick day plan ect ‍♀️

FWIW I don't have a sick day plan either - but I prefer to work out my own doses and have the tools and experience to do this.

I see the DS team every 6 months or so, and if I wanted extra support I'm pretty sure they'd help.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
Hi @SianyG,
Please do try to contact your team. Or an advisory service via your emergency number for ambulances etc.
High BSLs and ketones must get their attention.
(((((((((That combo in a T1D particularly is a red alert.)))))))))
Trying to sort through it yourself for the first time is very risky.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
HI @SianyG How are you feeling today ?

I've been diagnosed over 7 years and despite having many high BG in this time i've never tested for ketones, this would only change if.. I was feeling unwell or if I had been running high for say a day or so and there was no change in my high readings, high for me would be above 17 mmol/l.

If you have quick acting on board and are feeling ok despite the high readings then test every 2 hours, drink lots of water to help flush the glucose out, also have a plan on how to tackle with insulin in regards to corrections, my personal plan is quite aggressive but as I have a continuous glucose monitor I can check frequently, speak to your DSN about this and get some guidance on what to do.

If you haven't done the DAFNE course yet - Dose Adjustment for Normal Eating - then get your DSN to enrol you, it covers sick day rules which is vital for any t1/insulin dependent diabetic to know.