Ketones and crazy levels

Blissfool

Help (again)...my little boy is running at 1.7 ketones this morning, and a BM of 13.9 - he was at 0.4 ketones last night and we'd had erratic levels on last pump infusion site. Running high with no response to bolus or basal increase, then running low with no response to lowering basal and correcting with juice. When we changed the site we found a kink in the tubing, under the skin. This site was put on yesterday. He is fine in himself, although he has been battling a tooth infection these last couple of weeks and finished antibiotics last week.

Husband says to just increase basal a bit (from .1 to .4) and watch. I am wondering if we need to take him to the ward? He is 2 years, 10 months, diagnosed August. Our diabetes nurse is not on shift yet! Thanks x

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
I think I'd be making a trip to the ward just to be on the safe side. DKA happens very quickly in children and it would seem like you've had a pump issue since before he went to bed. I am very concerned when Khaleb's ketones hit 0.6 and if I see them early I make sure to do at least 2 hourly bsl's and ketone tests.

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you're unsure that the pump is delivering insulin then it might be advisable to give him an injection with his insulin pen of fast acting insulin to bring the readings down a bit. If he's had an infection that's probably not helping his blood sugars. I expect you've been in contact with your nurse by now but next time is there not a helpline number you can phone with your pump supplier who can put you through to a diabetes nurse for advice?