Ketones in Type 2 Diabetes

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Hi. I have had T2 Diabetes since 2010. I’ve been on insulin 4 years now. I have Ketosix and a B-Ketone meter. I mainly just do a urine check as I need a script from my DNS for extra B-Ketone strips (quantity 10).

I have noticed that I always show 0.5 - 1.5 on the dipstick tests, never a negative result. What is causing this ? Is it normal or progressive ?

Many thanks people. :)

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Do you eat a low carb diet? That can give ketones if your carb intake is very low - usually under around 30g a day will put you into ketosis.

How are your sugar levels?

Reactions: ringi and eddie1968

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Do you eat a low carb diet? That can give ketones if your carb intake is very low - usually under around 30g a day will put you into ketosis.

How are your sugar levels?
They’ve not been that bad lately but my last HbA1c was 83 in February. These readings have been consistent over the years never a negative result. I know if your BGs are >13.9 I will do a ketone test. I have not eliminated carbs totally but am exercising more. Thanks :)

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
That sort of keystones levels is ideal as it shows your body is burning fat. If you were to be of risk of DKA, they would be a LOT higher.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Hi. I have had T2 Diabetes since 2010. I’ve been on insulin 4 years now. I have Ketosix and a B-Ketone meter. I mainly just do a urine check as I need a script from my DNS for extra B-Ketone strips (quantity 10).

I have noticed that I always show 0.5 - 1.5 on the dipstick tests, never a negative result. What is causing this ? Is it normal or progressive ?

Many thanks people. :)

I'm just on Metformin and exercise, but eat low carb (for several values of low).

When I test (very infrequently) I am around 1.5. This cheers me up because it shows that I am running on fat.

No worries unless you are in the 5-15 range.

ketosistix_graph.jpg