Ketones in urine

GD Mum

Hi,

I am new to this forum and just wanted a little bit of advice. I was diagnosed with GD at 28 weeks and am now 33+4. It was a bit of a shock as even though my dad has type 2 I never really considered it. I felt really awful for a couple of days, full of guilt and shame but a friend advised that it was just my body asking me to watch what I ate more carefully, so I have been doing that. I am vegetarian and have been all my life, I am very diet aware and have always eaten lots of vegetables and healthy options. Since being diagnosed I have managed to control my sugars with diet alone and have not gone above 5.4 before eating or 7.0 1 hour after eating, and my fasting reading is normally 4.5. I thought I was doing well, even though I have been craving sugar like mad, and it has been hard to cut down on the carbs I really don't want to go onto medication so have been monitoring everything carefully.

Anyway, yesterday I saw the midwife and she mentioned that there are a small amount of ketones in my urine - which means I need to eat more!! She advised that I eat more carbs!!!! So - if I do this I run the risk of getting higher readings and potentially having to have medication. It is such a fine balancing act, and I feel a bit like I can't win. I just wondered if anyone had any advice at all? I have been ramping up my protein intake, and eating more tofu and pulses, but am wary about eating bread and not really sure what to do for the best? I have only gained 12 pounds my whole pregnancy, although my mum and sister where the same and put on most of their weight in the last few weeks, so I'm not really worried about that too much, I just want to make sure that I keep the diabetes under control.

Any advice on how to get the ketones stopped would be great

Thanks in advance

GD Mum

jopar

Did your midwife give you any keto sticks, to check your ketone's levels during the day? If she hasn't then they are under £5 via the chemist (they might have to order them in for you though as not all keep them in stock)...

What I thinking along the lines of, is that I'm assuming that it was a first thing in the morning sample she checked, so if you can test your urine yourself, to see how much and when the ketone's are being produced might enable you to determine more what happening and easier to resolve...

So lets say, that they are only appearing overnight, which is probably one of your longest fasting periods of the day, indicating that the body run out of it's easy carb fuel so turning to the fat store to make up the difference.. Having a small carb snack (say around 10g's) might be enough to tick the body along overnight, and not make any major impact on your blood glucose control.. Perhaps you might find the same during the day, a particular meal a slight increase of carbs, might prevent the ketone's without causing any problems in control!

Hopefully you'll be able to balance it out!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I'm with Jopar on the advice
may I suggest a small piece of dark cchocolate at bedtime. The Theobromine might help you to sleep andthe fat content will ensure the carb is released slowly

PLUS chocolate is NICE
Hana

GD Mum

Thanks both so much for your advice - I will get the ketone testers to see how I am doing throughout the day and will definitely try the chocolate! I haven't had any since I was diagnosed so it's worth a try.

Thanks again, I was feeling a bit alone with it all but it's great to know there are some friendly people out there

x

bethan90

Hello

Don't worry too much about ketones, and certainly don't buy yourself ketone sticks otherwise you will be forever testing and finding differing readings throughout the day. It may also be that you were just a little dehydrated. Make sure you drink plenty throughout the day. Also, if she tested your urine and it was your first urine of the day, obviously you weren't "eating enough" as you'd been sleeping all night! so not to panic :)