Ketones Question (8 In Urine, 1.3 In Blood)

JenniferG

Just measured all the following:

12:20 AM 372 lb
12:22 AM Ketones (Urine, Acetoacetate): 8
12:24 AM Ketones (Blood, BHB): 1.3 mmol/L
12:30 AM Blood Pressure: 112/60 mm Hg
12:31 AM Pulse: 79 bpm
12:33 AM Blood Glucose: 122 mg/dL

Last bite of food was at 12:40 PM -- about 12 hours before the above results, so I am in a fasted state and about to go to bed.

I ate 1686 calories yesterday, 25g net carbs, 91g protein.

Question: Why are my urine ketones 8 yet blood is only at 1.3 mmol/L? Is it because my blood sugar is usually 115-120 mg/dL all day (no insulin or medications) ? Despite the ketogenic diet and intermittent fasting I can't get the blood sugar to drop below that range. Probably because since the insulin levels are down the muscles wont' take it in and the brain isn't using enough of it? Maybe my brain is enjoying the BHB ketones despite having blood sugar of 115-120 mg/dL? Maybe since all the fatty acids are free to come out, due to low insulin levels, there are a lot of them. And so many of them are being spent and converted, that there are so many glyceral backones being converted to glucose by the liver? I figure at 90g per day there isn't much excess protein right? i.e. glucose from the protein vis gluconeogenesis?

Gah. so many variables :)

Last edited by a moderator:

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I am wondering how you know your insulin levels are low, did you have them tested? Just curious.

JenniferG

I am wondering how you know your insulin levels are low, did you have them tested? Just curious.

Because I've lost 14 pounds in the past 8 days or so along with really high ketones in urine and 1.3 bhb ketones in blood. When high insulin is present, the fatty acids can't get out of the fat cells as much and ketones level in urine disappear. I'm fasting 18 hours a day and only eating 20g carbs and 90g protein as well.

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have been on a 20g of carb diet for 4 months and I am losing but so slowly I could scream. My c-peptide test came back extremely high 1700+ with a normal range of 350-1000. I wonder if thats why the weight is hanging on for dear life. I am also probably 1200 or so cals per day, sometimes a bit more, sometimes far less.

JenniferG

I have been on a 20g of carb diet for 4 months and I am losing but so slowly I could scream. My c-peptide test came back extremely high 1700+ with a normal range of 350-1000. I wonder if thats why the weight is hanging on for dear life. I am also probably 1200 or so cals per day, sometimes a bit more, sometimes far less.
How many grams of protein per day? And you are absoultely certain about portion size, weighing & nutritional info for each item you eat right? (I'm sure you are). Are you under a lot of stress during the day? Do you have problems sleeping or getting a good night's rest? Do you consume a lot of diet drinks & artifical sweetners? etc..

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
One of the things that can lead to higher concentration of ketones in urine than blood is the amount of water you drink. Most people need to noticeably increase their water intake when eat low carb.

How much are you drinking?

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I probably eat too much protein, I don't count protein grams just carbs, I do drink a lot of diet coke which I am trying to cut out, I do not sleep well, I have multiple serious auto immune issues and health problems, my inflammation is through the roof (CRP is 33, should be less than 3) I have lost 20 lbs in the last 4 months so I guess I should be happy with that but I have to fight for every ounce. This morning I got up and my weight is up 4 pounds and my FBG is 7.7 (140) WHAT??? I did not eat anything wrong. I can accept that I am retaining water for some reason and that the weight gain is just that but something is going on.

JenniferG

I probably eat too much protein, I don't count protein grams just carbs, I do drink a lot of diet coke which I am trying to cut out, I do not sleep well, I have multiple serious auto immune issues and health problems, my inflammation is through the roof (CRP is 33, should be less than 3) I have lost 20 lbs in the last 4 months so I guess I should be happy with that but I have to fight for every ounce. This morning I got up and my weight is up 4 pounds and my FBG is 7.7 (140) WHAT??? I did not eat anything wrong. I can accept that I am retaining water for some reason and that the weight gain is just that but something is going on.
Lots of diet coke is problematic -- allegedly it raises insulin levels. Higher insulin levels keep you from ketosis, because it keeps telling the fatty acids to go back into the adipose cells. And higher insulin tells the kidneys to reabsorb the water into the system and retain the salt. Also stress and bad sleep can raise insulin levels due to an increase in cortisol.

Excess protein intake increase insulin levels. You should count the grams of protein you eat and perhaps try and cut it down if it is excessive? Extra protein gets turned into glucose.

So I'd suggest counting protein grams (and limit them if there is excess), dropping all artificial sweetners altogether [I used to drink 4 liters of diet coke per day for many many years, now just water], getting better sleep, and meditation/prayer/exercise or whatever else to relieve any stress you might be having. Then the insulin levels should drop and you should be able to tap into that fat storage more easily, metabolism will increase and water & salt will be excreted, causing weight loss. (I'd drink 2-4 cups of salted homemade chicken/bone broth though each day if you can to maintain electroylytes.. been experimenting with also adding potassium chloride to the broth.. getting some twitching here and there.)

Last edited by a moderator: