Ketones/type 2?

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
My kids wouldn't eat veg when they were little but they loved soup!!So they got the veggies one way or the other!

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
if your kid will eat mash - then you are definitely onto a winner because you can hide lots of things in there ... my son adores broccoli (weirdo eh, just like his mum) one of the reasons I think is because when I used to make him "martian mash" - basically potato mash with several florets of broccoli thrown in for good measure. Of course now he loves broccoli but won't eat the mash *sigh* still not a problem though cos I've given up spuds!!

Veg can be hidden in lots of meals, like if you make your own lasagne using a mince (meat) mix you've made yourself - just cut it all up small and it goes brown with everything else as it cooks, especially if you add a hint of gravy granules :)

and soup is another sneaky one Sue --- like your style!

I am justthinking about what would happen if I ate a punnet of plums ... urgh ... like metformin all over again!!!!

xxx

Bubsy Malone

Dislikes
Patronising people, fish and cold callers
Thanks for the other suggestions folks, unfortunately my son is autistic and violently objects to certain textures including rice, mash, baked beans etc. (basically anything soft) at the moment he has chicken with pasta, chips (always crunchy ones!) or noodles/spaghetti with the obligatory peppers (red/yellow never green) he has been known to have raw carrots as well, so that's the closest thing he has to a balanced diet! At school he has pizza/pasta but always without sauce (so no hiding little bets of veg in it!) He will have gravy, but only if it's the right type. No inferior copycats for him, he can taste the difference straight away! At the moment he's living off the Hot and Spicy Buffalo chicken wings from Iceland or spaghetti and meatballs. Enough of my tales of woe, he's just come in saying "Muuum, i'm staaaaarving!" so I guess it's time for more chicken! Take care, Bubsy

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Just a suggestion but how about putting cooked veggies into mash,rolling the mash into 'nuggets' with breadcrumbs and deep frying them.They will be crispy!

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
Butternut squash make excellent chips and a much lower carb alternative to potato "fries" ... I cut them into chip shapes and then either shallow fry or roast until done - they will never quite achieve that crispy outer fluffy inner texture of "real" chips but he might just enjoy them - you could try him with try a small batch?? the colour might give it away but I've got away with "the potatoes are red" before now ;)

I can understand where he's coming from with green peppers - urgh - I like the red ones best, can tolerate yellow or orange but never eat green ones !!

you might try stir frying strips of red cabbage - has a great crispy texture and a semi-sweet flavour ...

Sue's suggestion is FABULOUS! you can also add some grated cheese to the vegetable mash if he enjoys the flavour as it helps keep mash balls together during cooking :)

have a good weekend xxx

Jem

Bubsy Malone

Dislikes
Thanks guys, there are some brilliant suggestions there. Might try sweet potato, he's had sweet potato wedges before and at this stage anything's worth a try. Especially if I tell him they're healthier than normal chips, he says he wants to lose a bit of weight (big surprise, there's a girl involved!) He's a big lad anyway, he's nearly 6 feet tall with a 34" waist and size 9 feet :!: Thanks again, Bubsy

Bubsy Malone

Dislikes
He he, don't I know it! He's doing a BTEC in Drama at our local theatre, and he's loving it! It gives him a chance to show off his talent for mimicry and impress a certain petite young lady as well :wink: His favourite trick is to make up his own episode of his favourite shows (usually Simpsons or Family Guy) and act it all out himself! Anyway, we're going into town now, so I'll sign off now, Bubsy

Jem

Dislikes
I often make sweet potato roasties or chips for my lad ... I recall that the carbs involved break down more slowly than in regular potatoes so there is probably a benefit to non-diabetics - and they make a great alternative anyhow! IF he accepts the sweet potato roasts or wedges, you can later on make them from butternut squash because they have similar colouring, texture and flavour AND then there is a definite reduction in carbs :) :)

bless him ... always a love story eh!

xxx

Trinkwasser

Jem said:
almonds, nail varnish remover, acetone ... strange things really ...

Some of you are probably too young to remember acetylene lamps, but you may have smelled it when welders use it.

Jem

Dislikes
my dad was a welder and used oxy-acetelen on numerous occasions in our back yard ... I hadn't even twigged the familiarity back that far!

last time I smelled it was when I had a few days REALLY low carb (just a couple and actually not really on purpose, just ate that way cos that's what I had) ... smelled my own breath in the shower ... weird ... not been repeated since!

J/xxx

JohnFox

To my understanding, 'Ketosis' is the only way that the body looses fat.

Stored fat is turned into Ketone Bodies and used as fuel for the body.
This way you can loose the stored fat and become leaner...

There is some form of pathalogical ketosis linked to diabetes, but
it is different to everyday Ketosis.

Certainly, i'm keeping my blood-sugar under control with out drugs
and am trying to keep myself in Ketosis and regard it as a good thing.

My weight is down twelve pounds from my peak and i am trying to loose more.

I was having trouble with an arthritic hip, but with the sugar under control
and the fat down, i am walking with out a limp, for the first time in two years.

I am trying to follow a No Carb Diet. On my own, this is possible, but with
a social life, it is not so easy, still, by checking my sugar levels every morning, i can always see if i am going wrong

I am taking Benfotiamine to help reduce problems from Glycosylation...

John Fox.

JohnFox

Sorry, i did not state my status...

Diagnosed as Diabetic in 2000

Following a very low carb diet

Not taking any medication and feeling fit!

My Doctor is very condecending and rather bullying and is certainly not interested in natural alternatives to drugs...

Besides checking my sugar every morning, i get my eyes photographed and my toes tested.
Despite being assured that the damage is inevitable and progressive, i'm eight years into my known state as a diabetic, yet have none of the expected signs yet.

I would like to be doing more exercise, but cannot afford to go to a gym...

John Fox.

JohnFox

Having read that at several places in America and at Sheffield University in the UK,
Testosterone replacement is being found to make remarkable improvement to
elderly male suffers of type 2 diabetes, i would love to join the trails, but as i live in London, i cannot. Sadly i cannot afford to go private, even though i believe that a course of AndroGel is much cheaper than the standard cocktail that my doctor keeps pushing at me.

John Fox.