Ketones/type 2?

tulip87

Can you get ketones with type 2 diabetes?
Also how reliable are the dipsticks at testing - is a positive result likely to really be positive?

Thirsty

Yes, you can and it'll make you feel dreadful. Trust me on this one.

The strips seem to be fairly reliable; they certainly worked for me.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble

tulip87

Thanks for your help, and that information. I'm just a bit confused because I appear to have trace/+1 ketones, and then next test I have none. This has happened 3 times over 24 hours... making me think maybe the strips were wrong. I thought it'd be a "you have and are ill" or a "you don't and are not" - so not sure if I ought to be doing something about it or not. I hate the idea of wasting my DSNs time, I already get the feeling they think I'm worrying too much and stressing unnecessarily. I feel ill, but not like I'm about to die, just very tired and brain foggy.

Trinkwasser

tulip87 said:
Thanks for your help, and that information. I'm just a bit confused because I appear to have trace/+1 ketones, and then next test I have none. This has happened 3 times over 24 hours... making me think maybe the strips were wrong. I thought it'd be a "you have and are ill" or a "you don't and are not" - so not sure if I ought to be doing something about it or not. I hate the idea of wasting my DSNs time, I already get the feeling they think I'm worrying too much and stressing unnecessarily. I feel ill, but not like I'm about to die, just very tired and brain foggy.

Low carb diets tend to generate ketones. Especially losing weight (fat loss) generates ketones. In that case it is beneficial, Atkinsites try to maintain a low level of ketosis initially.

There's a lot of confusion between ketosis which is benign and ketoacidosis which is not.

If I drink red wine with my evening meal, no problem. If I drink wine at night my morning pee niffs of ketones. This is not necessarily a bad thing, ketones can be used as fuel to replace glucose quite happily. Evolutionarily we were probably designed to pack on extra fat when food was plentiful and burn it when food was scarce, or when we needed to migrate: ketosis is part of that adaptation.

cjohnson

Dislikes
Spiders and other similar creepy crawlies
When you say your morning pee niffs of ketones what exactly is that like?

Chris

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
almonds, nail varnish remover, acetone ... strange things really ...

tubolard

Dislikes
Fasteddie; Richard K Bernstein; William S. Atkins; Rosemary Bloody Conley;
So ketones in your pee is an indicator of ketoacidosis (which is a bad thing) as well as being in a ketotic state (which is a "good" thing). Is the only other indication of ketoacidosis a high BG?

cjohnson

Dislikes
Hi tubolard and Jem

You both seem to be losing weight and although I have cut down on carbs don't seem to be losing any weight :cry: Any tips to pass on.

Chris :D

tubolard

Dislikes
Fasteddie; Richard K Bernstein; William S. Atkins; Rosemary Bloody Conley;
Chris,

Having cut out all the cr*p foods and sugary drinks and sweets, the other thing I did is reduce portion sizes and snacks. And I no longer go back for more. I'm no expert, but it seems to me that you also need to reduce calorific intake to below what you're using to also lose weight.

I'm trying to give up smoking as well, so missing out on snacks is proving a real issue. There is a theory, that seems to work for me, that "chewing" tricks the brain, so I'm going through a lot of chewing gum at the moment - which is certainly getting rid of most of those mid morning/afternoon cravings.

And of course, exercise, burn up some more calories, especially if you're in a sedentary job.

Regards, Tubs.

goji

Does the size of the ketones matter?

The other day, I kept my sugars low all day (below 7). I woke up to pee at night and was feeling very thirsty. On a whim did a ketones test - my ketones were 3+ (eg. large) but when I tested my sugar it was only 4.3. I find it all very confusing.

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
heya Chris! - my only bone fide "tip" with the weight loss is to have patience ... I waited a whole month before the needle budged one tiny little bit ... (and it took a doctor's meeting with me in floods of tears because nothing had happened!!)

And yet after two months - over a stone has gone ... however you might note that my target BMI is still in the "overweight" department according to the governmental guidelines ... I am aiming for a weight where I KNOW I will be fit and healthy ;) ;) and it's psychologically achievable :)

If you're looking to go about low-carbing with a moderate approach (I like to think of it as carb reduction not carb removal) then the main "hints" I stick to are:

don't eat bread or breaded products, don't eat bakery products (not just because of the sugar overload), don't eat potatoes (yes that included MaccyD's fries), don't eat pasta or rice in any fashion.

DO eat protein (I choose nuts, low carb macadamia nuts are heaven - and no, I'm not on commission) - you don't have to eat a 14lb steak (I'm a vegetarian and quite happy with my current protein intake)

Evaluate your own body's reaction to carb foods - for instance I can eat a slightly underripe banana and have great BGs afterwards, however, even one quarter of a small bowl of chips, the tinest amount of bread (literally a crust) and my BGs act like they hate me !

Use your meter to guage what makes for good BG control and what doesn't - once you have an idea of what you "can" and "can't" eat, thens tick with it for a while before introducing smaller amounts of "new" things and testing again those results.

These are just a few hints, Eddie's lost like 4 stone and Tub's lost I can't even work out how much - waaaaaaaaaaay more than me, so those are the guys to be asking, lots of other people have lost much more weight than I have, it's just that I'm like a puppet, and you pulled my string (ie, you asked me hahahaha0 ...

all the best and keep smiling, keep the faith and if you can control your Blood Glucose levels I am pretty sure you can drop some excess weight too :)

Jem xox

cjohnson

Dislikes
Thanks Jem will keep the faith and try to be patient. Will also look at portions sizes as tubolard suggests. Will let you know how I go on - only really being doing reduced carbs for a week so perhaps expecting too much too soon :evil:

Chris

tulip87

Does anyone have any tips for how to gain weight but still be low carbs? My diabetic clinic are anti me being low carb, but are also anti the fact I've lost over 10% of my body weight and weight is still falling off... Am trying to eat lots of fat but can't really stomach it.

But also really glad the ketones might be due to my diet, thank you for the info! That helps reassure me why they might be coming/going too.

graham64

Dislikes
Ironing, cooking, shopping. Pessimists, people with sense of humour bypass. Speed cameras Traffic wardens, Nanny state and Hypocrites
Hi Tulip,
I had the same prob, Dietitian put me on high fat diet this included full fat milk, cheese, cream etc. Regained weight and its remaining stable.

Regards Graham

tulip87 said:
Does anyone have any tips for how to gain weight but still be low carbs? My diabetic clinic are anti me being low carb, but are also anti the fact I've lost over 10% of my body weight and weight is still falling off... Am trying to eat lots of fat but can't really stomach it.

But also really glad the ketones might be due to my diet, thank you for the info! That helps reassure me why they might be coming/going too.

Bubsy Malone

Dislikes
Patronising people, fish and cold callers
Hi Jem, well done on the weight loss (like the new pic as well!) I've been trying to lose weight as well, I've lost nearly a stone myself. This puts my BMI at 23ish :) , which is a big improvement. I've been cutting down on my carbs as well, I used to be a crisp fiend :oops: but now I have a handful of nuts (yes, including the infamous macadamias) Mind you I've been walking down to my mum's 3 times a week as well as taking my son there every Sunday, which might have something to do with it! Well done to everyone who has lost weight, love Bubsy

Jem

Dislikes
well done bubsy, that's great to hear from you - I'm pretty sure the walking helps too ~ I do four miles a day (we only live one mile from school so there n back twice a day is good enough for me!) but I turn spuddly at the weekend I'm afraid!

Wow - bmi of 23 ... that's right in the middle of the good zone isn't it? enjoy the macanuts! and feel super smugh knowing you're losing that weight you felt excess by eating a really nice diet :)

take care hun xoxox

Bubsy Malone

Dislikes
Thanks Jem, I wish I had the chance to go spuddly at the weekend, my 15 year old won't let me get away with it! He's a Doctor Who fiend so either we go into town or up to our big Sainsburys so he can go shopaholicing! Still, at least it keeps him active! Even my mum has been losing weight, she used to be a size 24 and now a 20 is loose on her :D . Mind you, my dad used to cook her evening meals because she is nearly blind and she hasn't been eating as much now he's gone :cry: . My brother lives with her and he does a lot of the meals but he goes out a couple of nights a week and isn't able to do all of them so sometimes she just has sandwiches :roll: Any ideas on a simple meal my brother could prepare for her before he goes out? Thanks, Bubsy

Jem

Dislikes
a hearty vegetable stew can stay warm and safe on the hob for an hour ...

this is how I sometimes do mine, you'll naturally want to omit the foods she's not fond of, or the ones that aren't fond of her!! >>>

saute 2 medium fine sliced red onions (for a few minutes by themselves), 2 cloves crushed garlic and 8oz sliced mushrooms ... at this point you can spic-ify it to your pleasure ... I like using a curry blend in small quantities - it means the lad can enjoy it too (being 4.5 he's not keen on hot currries haha) and let the spices or herbs cook into the oily mix - it should thicken slightly ... add a little hot water from the kettle or hot stock (check carbs) - so this works a bit like a brown roux, but you use the oily oniony garlicy mushroomy mix as the base ... add the water and cook it to thicken, meanwhile boil or steam whatever other veggies she likes (check carbs) and cook your protein choice (here I would saute some quorn pieces with spices) - when the sauce base is nice and thick throw in a 400gramme can of chopped tomatoes and stir well, allow it to mix thoroughly ... then chuck everything else in and let it all muddle together /// very hearty, very easy (can be made when cook is hungover) keeps and reheats well ... lots of choice ... easy enough to serve up if you leave a ladle in the pot ...

ahh hh my son is into Disney CArs movie ;) so I understand the fan-ness!

xoxoxoxo

Bubsy Malone

Dislikes
Thanks Jem, that's a good idea. Might try it myself, but with chicken instead of the Quorn - trying to encourage my son to eat a few more veggies (groan - he'll only eat red or yellow peppers at the mo). Fruit is another matter tho - he'll eat a whole punnet of strawberries, grapes, plums etc. to himself (and then regret it afterwards :oops: ). Nighty night and thanks for the suggestion, Bubsy :wink: