Ketones

lindisfel

Expert
Hi all,
Hoping to get my ketones measured.
Any advice would be appreciated, please.
Some of you are into this in a big way. I am not looking for the cheapest option just the best way on balance.
Thank you
Derek

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Most accurate way is testing blood ketones with test strips which tend to be very expensive, and you need a suitable meter too. Least accurate (and possibly messiest!) but cheapest way is with wee sticks (e.g. Ketostix) as that tends to be simply a test of waste ketones - and I found when I was using ketones - rather than simply producing them - I no longer got any indication via my urine. Cheapest way long term but high initial outlay is probably a Ketonix breath test gadget as you buy it then can test as many times as you like without any extra outlay. But I believe you can also get cheaper gadgets for ketone breath tesiting similar to the alcohol breath test meters now though.

It may depend on what you iwant the information for?

Robbity

Reactions: rab5 and Guzzler

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I have ketone strips with my Libre meter.
When I was younger, a LOT younger, my mother could smell the ketones on me, she said I smelt like pear drops and would tell me to get the "wee" sticks out and test :)

Reactions: novorapidboi26

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When I was younger, a LOT younger, my mother could smell the ketones on me, she said I smelt like pear drops and would tell me to get the "wee" sticks out and test :)
The Libre meter's a handy tool isn't it - three tests from the same tool.

I don't have much of a sense of smell, but since I tend to breathe through my mouth a lot, I can sometimes taste any breath ketones (acetone) - not unpleasant and slightly fruity/sweet. Pear drops is how it's generally defined.

Robbity

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

Please can you tell me where you buy the ketone strips for the Libre reader?

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
From Abbott themselves, or Amazon or eBay, but shop around for price! The Freestyle Optium ketone strips (which are what I bought) should work with the Libre meter but Abbot may now specifically identify them as for the lLibre - I haven't checked for a while as I didn't really need them regularly.

Robbity

ETA @Bluetit1802 :
https://freestylediabetes.co.uk/our-products/testing-strips
I think you'll get them VAT free from Abbott, so check.

Last edited:

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks. I just didn't know the name of them, now I do!
Yes - I remember having to do quite a seach of our Libre posts before I could identify what strips to use, and keep a little note now in my case with my reader, etc.

I think I'm wrong about buying the ketone strips direct from Abbott, as I've just checked the links I have, and they only give info and not an option to buy them. But they are available from our own diabetes.co.uk shop - at a rather hefty price...

Robbity

Reactions: Bluetit1802

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
E61F7828-18E8-4B40-BE3A-6E831FD93806.jpeg

These are the fellas you need for the Libre scanner and optimum Exceed meters.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Bertyboy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I use a Glucomen Aero 2k meter, which also support ketone strips which I think might be cheaper than Abbott/Freestyle.

lindisfel

Expert
Most accurate way is testing blood ketones with test strips which tend to be very expensive, and you need a suitable meter too. Least accurate (and possibly messiest!) but cheapest way is with wee sticks (e.g. Ketostix) as that tends to be simply a test of waste ketones - and I found when I was using ketones - rather than simply producing them - I no longer got any indication via my urine. Cheapest way long term but high initial outlay is probably a Ketonix breath test gadget as you buy it then can test as many times as you like without any extra outlay. But I believe you can also get cheaper gadgets for ketone breath tesiting similar to the alcohol breath test meters now though.

It may depend on what you iwant the information for?

Robbity
Thanks Robbity, I think I'll try with the strips first.
Derek

lindisfel

Expert
Hi,
Put the above on hold for a time since I have been having a lot of migraine auras. I am very low carb but I think the problem may be too much Tyramine so I have cut out high tyramine foods and also started having magnesium supplementation.
regards
Derek