Ketones

Niecie

Hi, been feeling off for around 3 days now. Pains in stomach and feeling very nauseous, couple of times had the runs but nothing consistent. Thought I had gastroenteritis, today thought I'd just check ketones as really didn't feel right. Very high :( but in a good way it gave me a sense of relief that I knew what it was. Been checking all day unable to eat as feeling too sick. (been drinking plenty of water). Tonight checked again glucose is perfect but ketones are still high. I can't just up and go to hosp as have 4 children and olnly my partner for support( he's had a good drink with it being the festive season) any ideas on how I can manage until they come down/I can be seen, at what level is it classed as an emergency? Keto stick reading a little while ago was +2Moyen/0.4. Had low sugar so had a slice of toast around 30mins ago but ketones still high :(.
Sorry for the long post!
1577402849657.jpeg

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry, I can't suggest anything as I'm not T1 but do hope you feel better very soon
Maybe you could phone the emergency number ( 111 ? ) and ask them what they advise? Do you have anyone, friend/relative, who could take you to A/E / Out of Hours if necessary? I realise it's quite late, though. Maybe best provisionally arrange something now rather than have to do something at 3am etc???

{{{Hugs}}} in the meantime ...

Reactions: Niecie

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, this was the sticker that I got from the hospital. Red is where you need medical attention, I was also told if your BG is normal and you have high ketones, it’s best to drink fluid that contains carbs that you can bolus for. I hope you feel better soon!

IMG_9200.jpg

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you can get in contact with your team tomorrow to ask for sick days rules so you can manage. If things get worse, you have no choice but to go to the hospital. People nowadays do blood ketones as well because it is more accurate.

Niecie

Thank you, unfortunately no one around to help. Bern with family last few days but all have other commitments. I will keep checking throughout the night and go 1st thing xx
Sorry, I can't suggest anything as I'm not T1 but do hope you feel better very soon
Maybe you could phone the emergency number ( 111 ? ) and ask them what they advise? Do you have anyone, friend/relative, who could take you to A/E / Out of Hours if necessary? I realise it's quite late, though. Maybe best provisionally arrange something now rather than have to do something at 3am etc???

{{{Hugs}}} in the meantime ...

Niecie

Thanks for that, great advice! I have a ketone meter
but GP won't provide the strips :( (they've now ran out of date! ) plenty of sugary drinks in luckily! Will give that a go and monitor through out the night xx
Hello, this was the sticker that I got from the hospital. Red is where you need medical attention, I was also told if your BG is normal and you have high ketones, it’s best to drink fluid that contains carbs that you can bolus for. I hope you feel better soon!

View attachment 37423

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I found this on the Internet I don’t know how accurate it is but I think you need to go to A&E asap. Just so you’re safe!
IMG_0135.jpg

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that, great advice! I have a ketone meter
but GP won't provide the strips :( (they've now ran out of date! ) plenty of sugary drinks in luckily! Will give that a go and monitor through out the night xx

hi @Niecie

howare you feeling now?

your profile doesn’t state which type of diabetes you have, or how you treat it or which country you live in. It would help members respond to you if you fill those sections of your profile in when you get the chance.

but I’e looked through some of your previous posts and see you are T1 and on insulin. You also mention a pump.

my suggestion (if you are in the UK) is to ring the NHS helpline number whenever you have a serious medical concern.
https://111.nhs.uk/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA0...hYZywowtTN-PJwsVijsEyVbFRV9eNlJUaAr6OEALw_wcB

It’s free, and you will get to speak to a nurse (they call you back) if necessary.

it bridges the gap between Sitting at home worriting and visiting your nearest A&E.

best wishes, and let us know how you get on?

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hope you get things resolved one way or other. Just to reiterate 111 is a great idea for guidance.
Re Gp not prescribing ketone test strips for meter. I hadn’t had any of those until this year (6 years in) and relied on urine strips. After a severe illness where I did indeed end up in A and E I was told as a type 1 I should have them. Contacted my hospital team who were also shocked I was using urine sticks. Within hours I had a new meter, two boxes of strips and a prescription change. There was a caveat! Use them when ill, not just because you have the odd high sugars, as GP will choke if you put on regular prescription. Which I think is fair enough. We are all pretty good at knowing if we have a genuine need to use them.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Niecie, forgive me if I have it totally wrong but you have a PARTNER! This dilemma is not something to take lightly on the basis there is 'noone' to look after the kids or it's hard to get to the hospital or Drs, high ketones can be fatal at their worst and your partner needs to recognise this is not just you fussing about feeling off. Would you adopt that attitude if it was one of your children?, of course not, you would insist on arrangements being made festive season or not. Does your partner even understand type 1 diabetes and how crucial these things are? I do hope you have managed to get yourself medical attention because this 'it's all too difficult' approach can lead to something far worse. x

Niecie

Thank you, your advice previous has helped loads :). Bern monitoring through out the night and it's gone right down now, only one the 1st trace, still feeling yucky so will call 111 before going to A n E x
I found this on the Internet I don’t know how accurate it is but I think you need to go to A&E asap. Just so you’re safe!
View attachment 37424

Niecie

Thanks for that, sorry to hear you had to go to A + E (very frightening!) yes I've had numerous issues with GP supplying insulin blood strips etc the ketone strips I just left as it's always such a, hassle but I will indeed contact the hosp team to get sorted.
Ketones have come down but still feeling yucky so going to call 111 for advice. Thanks for the info xq
Hope you get things resolved one way or other. Just to reiterate 111 is a great idea for guidance.
Re Gp not prescribing ketone test strips for meter. I hadn’t had any of those until this year (6 years in) and relied on urine strips. After a severe illness where I did indeed end up in A and E I was told as a type 1 I should have them. Contacted my hospital team who were also shocked I was using urine sticks. Within hours I had a new meter, two boxes of strips and a prescription change. There was a caveat! Use them when ill, not just because you have the odd high sugars, as GP will choke if you put on regular prescription. Which I think is fair enough. We are all pretty good at knowing if we have a genuine need to use them.

Niecie

Thanks KK, yes your not wrong
:( my o/h understands a little more now but sometimes he doesn't understand when I feel 'off' or have a bad hypo and it drains the life out of me! I never like to make a fuss or ask for help, I always just plod on when not feeling great. Stupidly I know, and no I wouldnt let one of my own suffer, just a, worrier I have 3 under 4 and they're tough going ha ha (4 in total 14, 3, 23mnth and 7mnth) we had literally just got bk from visiting family and I turned to the forum for advice(again I never jump until I can see if I can sort myself). Thanks for the advice much appreciated x
Hi @Niecie, forgive me if I have it totally wrong but you have a PARTNER! This dilemma is not something to take lightly on the basis there is 'noone' to look after the kids or it's hard to get to the hospital or Drs, high ketones can be fatal at their worst and your partner needs to recognise this is not just you fussing about feeling off. Would you adopt that attitude if it was one of your children?, of course not, you would insist on arrangements being made festive season or not. Does your partner even understand type 1 diabetes and how crucial these things are? I do hope you have managed to get yourself medical attention because this 'it's all too difficult' approach can lead to something far worse. x

Niecie

Thank you, still a bit yukky but ketones have come right down.

Yes I will update when I get a min. Things have changed since I was last on here .
Been diabetic for 40 year, normally very good but been struggling since Oct time. I am in the UK so will give 111 a call and seek advice. I will also request my diabetes team to get in touch with GP re the ketone strips.
Thank you much appreciated x
hi @Niecie

howare you feeling now?

your profile doesn’t state which type of diabetes you have, or how you treat it or which country you live in. It would help members respond to you if you fill those sections of your profile in when you get the chance.

but I’e looked through some of your previous posts and see you are T1 and on insulin. You also mention a pump.

my suggestion (if you are in the UK) is to ring the NHS helpline number whenever you have a serious medical concern.
https://111.nhs.uk/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA0...hYZywowtTN-PJwsVijsEyVbFRV9eNlJUaAr6OEALw_wcB

It’s free, and you will get to speak to a nurse (they call you back) if necessary.

it bridges the gap between Sitting at home worriting and visiting your nearest A&E.

best wishes, and let us know how you get on?

Reactions: Brunneria

Niecie

Hi, just went to update info and not sure how to do it? Nothing in settings, guessing why I haven't done it already x
Thank you, still a bit yukky but ketones have come right down.

Yes I will update when I get a min. Things have changed since I was last on here .
Been diabetic for 40 year, normally very good but been struggling since Oct time. I am in the UK so will give 111 a call and seek advice. I will also request my diabetes team to get in touch with GP re the ketone strips.
Thank you much appreciated x

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, just went to update info and not sure how to do it? Nothing in settings, guessing why I haven't done it already x
Glad things are looking better today, despite still feeling yucky!

On a PC, hover your mouse over your name at the top right and a pop-up menu will appear. Click 'Personal Details' and go ahead.
On a phone, tap your picture at the top right and the same menu will appear.

If you use the app, I wouldn't know. I've tried the app for half an hour before deleting it from my phone again in frustration because I didn't understand how to navigate it at all.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

You can update your diabetes type and other stuff by accessing your account, in your browser. The App has restricted options (the restrictions are not DCUK's choice). If you are unable to work it out, please let me knw and I will update.

if you need your profile updated, please confirm your diabetes type.