Ketones?

Diabetocheeto

Hey all!
I’m just curious on ketones. I’m not sure I’ve tested my bloods and my ketones are at 3.2 but I feel okay, just really thirsty and constantly needing the toilet.
If I feel okay and not sick do I need to worry? What do I do in this situation? My blood glucose was just HIGH but I injected around half hour ago.

thanks

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'd phone 111 or go to A&E, if your glucose meter says 'high/hi' it means it is over 33.3 (at least on all the meters I've used) and you need to get your ketones and blood down asap before you become seriously unwell

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The NHS website says
If you do a blood ketone test 3mmol/L or above means you have a very high risk of DKA and should get medical help immediately

Mummybear3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Go to hospital. I had the same experience. Do not waste any time. I felt okay but clearly my insides didn’t. Trust me. You will be seen straight away. X

Mummybear3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ketones over 2 and high sugars are an emergency, I don’t want to scare you. If you go whisky your still feeling okay you will be reseated and back to normal soon enough. Do you have any stomach ache? Or feeling sick/ being sick? X

Mummybear3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was in hospital two days ago with the same!!!!! Take it from one who knows x

Mummybear3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry back typing. I’m meant to say if you go whilst your still feeling okay you will be treated and back to normal soon enough x

Diabetocheeto

Ketones over 2 and high sugars are an emergency, I don’t want to scare you. If you go whisky your still feeling okay you will be reseated and back to normal soon enough. Do you have any stomach ache? Or feeling sick/ being sick? X
Hey thanks for replying!
I feel okay just tired,
I’ve just rechecked and they’re at 1.4 so hopefully I’ll be okay? I’ve not really had much experience with high ketones.
Amelia x

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You don't have to feel sick or be being sick to have ketoacidosis
Symptoms of DKA include:

• needing to pee more than usual
  • feeling very thirsty
  • being sick
  • tummy pain
  • breath that smells fruity (like pear drop sweets, or nail varnish)
  • deep or fast breathing
  • feeling very tired or sleepy
  • confusion
  • passing out
You should still go to A&E or at least ring 111 without delay

Mummybear3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was advised to go if I had any ketones and high sugars. If you ring 111 I’m sure they will say the same to you. My hubby took me but they rang through to let them know I was coming. It’s your call but personally after what happened to me. I’d go. X

Mummybear3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You don't have to feel sick or be being sick to have ketoacidosis
Symptoms of DKA include:

• needing to pee more than usual
  • feeling very thirsty
  • being sick
  • tummy pain
  • breath that smells fruity (like pear drop sweets, or nail varnish)
  • deep or fast breathing
  • feeling very tired or sleepy
  • confusion
  • passing out
You should still go to A&E or at least ring 111 without delay

You don’t have to have all the symptoms, but whilst in A&E they told me that sickness and bloated tummy and or tummy pains are the last stages of a DKA. Xx

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was advised to go if I had any ketones and high sugars. If you ring 111 I’m sure they will say the same to you. My hubby took me but they rang through to let them know I was coming. It’s your call but personally after what happened to me. I’d go. X
I hope you are doing ok - take care Mrs x

Mummybear3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Are you checking ketones via a blood meter or a pee stick? X

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
Just want to say, do NOT DRIVE to A&E. With DKA you can feel fine right up to the point where you are suddenly unconscious, not great if you are driving. If you call 111 they will probably send an ambulance. And yes, it IS that serious.

Reactions: Mummybear3

Mummybear3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just want to say, do NOT DRIVE to A&E. With DKA you can feel fine right up to the point where you are suddenly unconscious, not great if you are driving. If you call 111 they will probably send an ambulance. And yes, it IS that serious.

Good point. xxx