Ketones?

Diabetocheeto

Just want to say, do NOT DRIVE to A&E. With DKA you can feel fine right up to the point where you are suddenly unconscious, not great if you are driving. If you call 111 they will probably send an ambulance. And yes, it IS that serious.
Thankyou I won’t drive if I do, it’s gone down to 0.8 now

Mummybear3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I would still ring 111. Just to be safe. I’m no expert I can’t give medical advise. But I strongly advise you call them. X

Mummybear3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Keep us posted, take care. I will be thinking about you. Ringing 111 wouldn’t hurt, just to get a medical experts opinion and be on the safe side. xx

Mummybear3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I know, this is not my first rodeo ;)
I copied and pasted from the NHS website, obviously you don't have to have them all, you'd have trouble being thirsty etc if you're passed out :)

very true x

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Injecting insulin has made the ketones go away and brought blood glucose down too. The worst is over. and the numbers are going in the right direction. Keep up the good work.

Reactions: Mummybear3

Diabetocheeto

Hey everyone! Thankyou all for your responses! I felt okay last night As it went down to 0.4 eventually but I’ve woken up today And felt really nauseous and dizzy with bloods of 18 and ketones of 3.8 so I’ve rang 111, just waiting for a clinician to ring me back. It’s now 3.3 and I don’t feel dizzy but still worry I’m in DKA now as I’m confused why they’ve gone up over night :( x

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
but still worry I’m in DKA now as I’m confused why they’ve gone up over night

Well done for calling 111, you clearly need to some medical checks.

Just a thought, but are you on a basal/bolus regime? Is there any chance your basal insulin could have gone off in the heat?

Good luck.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I really wish people would appreciate that DKA can come on within an hour or less (a bit like sepsis), it's often too late by the time you go into shock. There is NO way anybody should be mithering about should I do this or that or the ketones have gone down so now I'm alright, etc (though I appreciate a person may not know about DKA). If your levels are high and your ketones are high then medical assistance is needed. When I was admitted to hospital feeling perfectly fine I was told yes, but in 30 minutes you could be on the floor. Also, injecting insulin and being able to bring the ketones down yourself may only be a temporary thing when you don't know what has sent them soaring in the first place, hence the poster is now in the exact same position. I would not take any risk whatsoever and it concerns me when people go back & forth for hours on end instead of calling for immediate assistance and medical advice. If someone banged their head and was in and out of consciousness would anybody be hesitating to call 111 over a period of 24 hours? I think we need to be careful when we are giving our opinions on an ongoing medical situation as many posters may be reassured by what we are saying thus not bothering to call the Professionals.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mummybear3

MarkMunday

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
... I’ve woken up today And felt really nauseous and dizzy with bloods of 18 and ketones of 3.8 ... I’m confused why they’ve gone up over night :( x
Are you using basal insulin? If you only recently started insulin and haven't started using basal yet, that could be the problem. Basal insulin keeps blood glucose down overnight.

Mummybear3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m glad you’ve contacted them. I hope everything is okay and your receiving treatment. X

Reactions: EllieM

Mummybear3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I really wish people would appreciate that DKA can come on within an hour or less (a bit like sepsis), it's often too late by the time you go into shock. There is NO way anybody should be mithering about should I do this or that or the ketones have gone down so now I'm alright, etc (though I appreciate a person may not know about DKA). If your levels are high and your ketones are high then medical assistance is needed. When I was admitted to hospital feeling perfectly fine I was told yes, but in 30 minutes you could be on the floor. Also, injecting insulin and being able to bring the ketones down yourself may only be a temporary thing when you don't know what has sent them soaring in the first place, hence the poster is now in the exact same position. I would not take any risk whatsoever and it concerns me when people go back & forth for hours on end instead of calling for immediate assistance and medical advice. If someone banged their head and was in and out of consciousness would anybody be hesitating to call 111 over a period of 24 hours? I think we need to be careful when we are giving our opinions on an ongoing medical situation as many posters may be reassured by what we are saying thus not bothering to call the Professionals.

Totally 100% agree with this statement. Hence me trying to repeatedly enforced she ring 111 for safety. I really hope everything is okay.

Reactions: EllieM and KK123