KETONES

sanndra

Good morning

I have checked my blood gloucose this morning and it is showing at 17.4 with a message showing KETONES? which I have never seem before. I have retested during the morning and shows 17.2 and before breakfast at 19.6 all showing same message.

What now?

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Do you have Ketostix to test your urine with? You need to get your blood sugar levels down,which medications are you on and are you type one or type two?

sanndra

sugarless sue

Many thanks for the information

I am type 2

Taking levimer 3 times a day and lantus once a day plus slow release metformin
I do not have kerostik to check my urine, I was told I did not need to.

My 6 months result came back this week at 9.5 which is the lowest it has been for sometime as last year my daily checks were up to 26

sanndra

Tubs

Many thanks for the information it is really helpful, I am using a new tester but didn't expect to have results that high as I thought I was gaining control.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Can you give us some idea of what you eat Sanndra?Your BS is still very high despite all the medication you are on so maybe a change of diet would help bring down your BS.

Katharine

The good news is that as you are at type two you are a lot less likely to get diabetic ketoacidosis than type ones. I agree that the most important thing right now is to get your blood sugars down.

Could there be an infection going on ? Dental infections and urinary infections are common causes.

Do you eat a lot of sugar, fruit or fruit juice or starchy items eg bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, cereals and other flour products? Lowering the amount of these in the diet and replacing them with more low starch vegetables, meat and eggs can help reduce your blood sugars.

If neither of these help pretty quickly you may well need to up your insulins. You will probably need to see the doctor, dentist and greegrocer before you are finished sorting all this out.