Ketones

RebeccaSmith

I know that high bloods can caused blurred vision, liver failure, loss of eyesight and all that, but what exactly do ketones do?
Do they have the same affect? Are they the actualy culprut to suseptability to gangrene and poor circulation? Are there any long term effects of having ketones?
I cannot find anything anywhere about ketones giving advice of implications and effects and would much appreciate some additional information on it, as I did not find the section on ketone effects on this website or any other particularly useful...
Oh, also, what would be considered as a dangerous amount of ketones in the blood?
Thank you :)

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Ketones are the greatest thing in the world! Better than drugs. As I'm getting older I'm finding it harder and harder to get into and stay in ketosis, though... :cry: Seems like I can get there after about a week - but it's REALLY hard to stay in ketosis...

RebeccaSmith

Looked at the websites - much more helpful than others I have seen. Reading the complications, it sounds like they are bad news but i'm a bit of a thicko and just wanted to confirm something. It stated 'retinopathy,' does that mean that ketones in the blood could cause retinopathy?
Much appreciated website.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Retinopathy is usually caused by high blood sugar levels damaging the blood vessels in the eyes.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
research has shown that it's high Bgs that cause blood vessel damage and lead to complications. There's a definite link between HbA1c and complications. I don't think anyone has found a correlation between Ketones and complications

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
High levels of ketones are not a long term complication, they are an acute one
Since ketones are formed when fats are broken down. Some people who are dieting like to be 'in ketosis.' See Patch's posting. It is a very different matter if the ketones are produced because the cells haven't sufficient insulin to access the available glucose. They can build up very quickly making the blood acidic... diabetic ketoacidosis which can lead to a diabetic coma.
People who have frequent incidences of DKA, may also have higher than desired average blood glucose levels. Its these high averages or wildly fluctuating levels that over time, can lead to other complications.( ketones may be dangerous during pregnancy though this is disputed by some)

I don't know if you wanted more on ketones, DKA and type 1 but this is quite a good article, its addressed to young people who pump, but most is applicable to all type 1s.
(nb American levels so divide by 18 ie 150mg = 8.3mmol)
http://www.netwellness.org/question.cfm/35485.htm

You should ask your doctor what to do if you have ketones present.(best to do it before you need the advice, you may never need it but its best to be prepared). You would need to take larger amounts of insulin than would be necessary just to bring blood glucose levels down. Drinking lots of fluids also helps.

When should you check for ketones? (my doctors protocol)
Anytime blood glucose is over 13.8mmol
When ill. Often illness, infections, or injuries increase the need for insulin and can cause sudden high blood glucose and this is an especially important time to check for ketones.
If planning to exercise and the blood glucose is over 13.8mmol.

RebeccaSmith

Well that's good news. I have enough insulin being produced to supply my background base (in honeymoon phase) and if I don't eat, I have normal BG levels, but do get the ketones from lack of injection. This probably isn't advisable, but it works for me as injecting would give me a hypo. :)
Sometimes, if I haven't eaten since lunchtime, i'll have KT of 0.3, i'm guessing that that is okay-ish (obviously would be better to have none at all), but i'm assuming that isn't going to make me plummit into a com when my bloods are like 5.0...
Thanks very much for the info. Much appreciated.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Keep an eye in it Rebecca, If you are developing an illness things can alter very quickly. I'm asuming that your doc knows that you're producing ketones.

diabetesmum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi Rebecca,
Advice to us is that blood ketones under 0.6 are of no significance (a 'trace'), and are probably so-called starvation ketones because you haven't eaten for a few hours eg overnight. Provided you are getting enough basal insulin, you are not at risk from DKA. Basal requirements go up when you are ill, though, which is why the advice is to check more often then.
Sue