C1a1r319

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ketoacidosis
I read on ketogenic resource this paragraph:

Although ketosis, and ketogenic diets in general, are beneficial for most people, there is some anecdotal and research based evidence that suggests that ketosis will cause a transient increase in the body's levels of adrenaline and cortisol for a small subgroup of people.

These higher levels of stimulant hormones can cause thyroid issues, heart irregularities and elevated blood pressure for some, while others just feel more alert.

As I have had very high blood glucose whilst following this diet, could I be one of the unlucky ones? I read that adrenal problems cause I high blood glucose. I originally thought it was the protein, but now I'm wondering if it is this.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Your dr can take bloods to see if fall into the small subset

Why are you high ? If high and ketones above 1.5, you may need to treat as a sickday
Is your basal good
When you cut carbs you may need to TAG total available glucose and bolus for protein and fat too

C1a1r319

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ketoacidosis
Your dr can take bloods to see if fall into the small subset

Why are you high ? If high and ketones above 1.5, you may need to treat as a sickday
Is your basal good
When you cut carbs you may need to TAG total available glucose and bolus for protein and fat too
Well when I did the TAG calculation it seemed to keep my glucose stable and worked to cover it, but as not everyone has to do this I've started to worry it's something else. My Basals are really good.
Just noticed that the majority of diabetics don't get this gluconeogenisis. Just don't want to damage myself anymore with having diabetes.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You're a star :) that was easy for you.
Robert bolus his protein at 50%, there are a few other lchf that bolus for proein and fat

Did you find the tag groups on the net?
If you are concerned ... See the dr, it's not worth upsetting yourself over

C1a1r319

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ketoacidosis
You're a star :) that was easy for you.
Robert bolus his protein at 50%, there are a few other lchf that bolus for proein and fat

Did you find the tag groups on the net?
If you are concerned ... See the dr, it's not worth upsetting yourself over
Someone directed me to it from on this board because I kept getting high glucose. I do 60% for protein 10% for fat and 100% for carbs(minus fibre). It took a bit of trial and error but I found that if I dual waved half my bolus over 2-3hrs it keeps them down. I also reduced my protein because the more I ate the less I could control it and my blood glucose are the most important thing for me. I didn't realise how much I was overeating protein even before starting this diet.
I think I will do a full blood test. I have a form for one in a drawer somewhere. At least I will know if there anything is to be concerned about. I'm a bit neurotic when it comes to my health because of the diabetes so you will prob see loads of worried posts from me concerning different things, if you haven't already.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You're a young woman, so you need to look after yourself for a normal life of grizzling kids.

You may need another form. A standard blood test won't test for adrenaline etc will it? It's the dr job to look after you with your choices. Low carb is a hell of a lot better than missing insulin

C1a1r319

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ketoacidosis
You're a young woman, so you need to look after yourself for a normal life of grizzling kids.

You may need another form. A standard blood test won't test for adrenaline etc will it? It's the dr job to look after you with your choices. Low carb is a hell of a lot better than missing insulin
Well all my nurse seems to do is try to get me to change my diet
and I explain I get awful cravings with carbs which makes my blood glucose worse but she won't offer much in the way of help unless I change it. I have done it on my own now and have been getting good numbers.
Maybe the blood test won't show that then :/ I don't know. I will see if I can arrange to see my doctor and ask for a test. I bet they say no

Reactions: 2 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sure you would feel a bit more jittery if you had excess adrenaline and cortisol. These are the hormones we release in fight or flight situations as well as hypos. Very good for raising BG levels.

Reactions: 3 people

C1a1r319

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
ketoacidosis
I
If you aren't going to sleep at night, get the dr to do a private blood test and pay for it, but as Robert said you would have symptoms if it was the case

You are no orphan with carb craving, they can be evil bloody things
http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarb101/a/carblevel.htm

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/lowcarbliving/a/Food-Cravings.htm
found a blood result form from May and I was looking at the results and my free t4 was 9.0. Is that low? I keep looking and I get a different answer from all the thyroid foundations. For some reason, whenever I have something odd on my results I don't get informed about it until 6 months down the line. Was told in January I had low vit D with reference to a blood test I had in the august before.