Keytones in blood

Diamonds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi to all

Previously when ive done my blood sugar its said on my meter keytones but dosnt give a number i have cut out some carbohydrates to loose weight so what do i do about this my diabetic appointment isnt while 8th of august.

Diamonds.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are breaking down fats then there will be ketones in your blood. That is a perfectly unremarkable state to be in as long as it is not associated with high blood glucose - the two together are dangerous as they indicate things are going very wrong.
As long as your blood glucose is about normal and not being kept there artificially by tablets, then having ketones in your blood are not a problem

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What meter do you have? Do you have the leaflet that came with the meter? Some meters advice to test for ketones when you blood sugar is above a certain level.

Reactions: kokhongw

Diamonds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Blood glood glucose freestyle optimum neo meter
Ive just tested with ketosticks n its ok.

Diamonds.

Brewers23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The machines that I have encountered flash Ketones? when the BM is above 20 (IIRC). The guidelines state that DKA should be considered if the BM is consistently above 11 mmol/l AND ketones in urine 3+ OR ketones in blood >0.6 mmol/l. The NHS choices website says that DKA is unlikely with blood ketones between 0.6 and 1.5; between 1.6 and 2.9 there is an increased risk of DKA, above 3 is a medical emergency (999 ambulance). With elevated ketones you feel absolute rubbish and you look unwell, vomiting profusely. A person with type 1 is twice as likely to develop DKA as a person with type 2 ( I can't remember the reference). If your BM is above 35 and you're type 2 then you're in a hyperglycaemic, hyperosmolar state (HHS aka HONK), and again is a medical emergency, although some BM machines only show Hi above 30 or 35 and not the value depending on the individual manufacturer.

Diamonds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi to you ,

I have a consultant appointment in the morning so i will mention this to him to get some clarification as above.

Thanks for replying
Diamonds.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi to all

Previously when ive done my blood sugar its said on my meter keytones but dosnt give a number i have cut out some carbohydrates to loose weight so what do i do about this my diabetic appointment isnt while 8th of august.

Diamonds.
What are your blood sugar levels when you see this message on the meter?

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi to all

Diamonds.
How did you apt. go ?