Kidney Biopsy Problems?

Wizzco

I am a seventy-year old type 2, with very good HbAC1, which is maintained solely by diet. Some years ago this was not the case, my blood glucose was seriously out of control. I have had Diabetes for >25 years, and Neuropathy for about 15 years, which is affecting most of my organs, and causing sever, chronic, Neuropath pain.

My question is this: I was at Addenbrooke's on Wednesday to have a Biopsy to try and find out what might be causing the unexpected rapid decline in my eGFR over the last year, as if this is not halted, the prospect of Dialysis looms. However, instead of having the expected biopsy, I was told that the pre-procedure ultrasound examination had shown my Kidney was quite deep and high-up, and the biopsy was complicated by cysts in the Kidney. In view of all this, the biopsy was too risky. Instead, I would be called back for another form of 'guided biopsy' which would make possible a more accurate placement of the biopsy needle.

Can anyone who knows, or who has been in this situation, tell me what is going to be done to reach my deep, badly-placed, polycystic, kidney - and is it likely to work?
If someone can, I will be very relieved, and very grateful.

My fingers are crossed, Iain.

TopoGigi

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Negativity
You will be admitted as a Day patient to a Renal unit or a Radiology department for this procedure. It will be carried out usually by a Senior Dr in this particular field of medicine, the 'guided biopsy' is done by guiding the biopsy needle into the kidney with the use of Ultrasound scan over the area of your kidney, can be a bit sore afterwards, but you are sedated for this and you normally have to lay flat for a few hours before you can go home. Good luck.