Kidney Disease

pau1200

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I have been diabetic for about 3 years with levels I thought were under control but because if covid my annual checkups have been cancelled. I have finally got access to my medical records and found out 2 years ago they my acr was high with in particular the albrimum. I have noticed that I have had foamy urine but I don’t know how long for. My aunt passed away last week and she was type 1 and speaking to the nurses mentioned foamy urine as a sign of kidney damage. I am desperately trying to get an appointment to see my doctor and diabetic team.

I am really freaked out with what I have found, as anyone else suffering with kidney disease and is it manageable, I keep reading that it’s not reversible but I may be able to stop it getting worse but my diet might need changing again and I do t know where to start. Im on a low carb diet and love fish but some advice recommend avoiding fish.

Any advice, will be appreciated and I will continue fighting to see a doctor

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi, I have been diabetic for about 3 years with levels I thought were under control but because if covid my annual checkups have been cancelled. I have finally got access to my medical records and found out 2 years ago they my acr was high with in particular the albrimum. I have noticed that I have had foamy urine but I don’t know how long for. My aunt passed away last week and she was type 1 and speaking to the nurses mentioned foamy urine as a sign of kidney damage. I am desperately trying to get an appointment to see my doctor and diabetic team.

I am really freaked out with what I have found, as anyone else suffering with kidney disease and is it manageable, I keep reading that it’s not reversible but I may be able to stop it getting worse but my diet might need changing again and I do t know where to start. Im on a low carb diet and love fish but some advice recommend avoiding fish.

Any advice, will be appreciated and I will continue fighting to see a doctor

Hi, I can't give you much help unfortunately but I'll do my best.

Firstly, Dr Google says though foamy urine may indicate kidney issues there are also benign causes, so try not to panic.
https://share.upmc.com/2021/03/foamy-urine/

Speaking as someone who has had T1 with variable hab1c levels for 52 years (and still has working kidneys) I'm struggling to imagine how you could have had serious diabetic kidney issues after only a year, I would expect the progression to be much slower. (Disclaimer: I am not a doctor so that is just an opinion).

And even if you do have issues, this article from the NHS suggests that people can live for years without it progressing further
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/kidney-disease/
Most people with CKD will be able to control their condition with medicine and regular check-ups. CKD only progresses to kidney failure in around 1 in 50 people with the condition.

I hope you can get an appointment soon and will be able to put your mind at rest.

And just a thought, because I'm by no means convinced that you have any kidney issues, but you might want to be careful if you are a heavy user of ibuprofen,
https://www.kidney.org/atoz/content/painmeds_analgesics

Last edited:

pau1200

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thankyou Ellie for your kind words, I hope your right and your reasoning makes sense. Im still struggling to see my GP and the diabetic team, im more annoyed with myself with not pushing for my checkups, covid has been hard for doctors but it feels like I have slipped through the net.